Model Cars Magazine Forum

GM is at it again!

Posting news of the latest GM recall isn't "demonizing" GM. It's reporting the facts. If you want to start a Ford recall topic, go right ahead.

GM has now recalled more vehicles this year alone than the total number they have sold in the last five years.

When people leave out other manufactures,like this is a problem only GM deal with,it looks like demonizing.

GM has now recalled more vehicles this year alone than the total number they have sold in the last five years.

If that was iPhones there would be riots in the streets........funny how 'what is important' has changed.

another 500000 recalls announced today.Caddy and saab rear suspension issues.72 different recalls this year alone. Somewhere around 10000000 vehicles .How can they afford this ?The shop hours alone is staggering.

Man hours........let's be on the positive side and say it takes GM 30 minutes start to finish for each recall........It will be 2050...... :rolleyes:

We seem to have a lot of comments being made about recalls from people who have not read the earlier posts here. Of course all auto manufacturers and thousands of companies in all kinds of industries have recalls. But few of these companies have concerns like GM's ignition switch problems:

"There are 19 acknowledged deaths based on the GM ignition failure (not Corvette) and 125 more wrongful death claims. Whatever you think, this stuff is serious."

If this is the result of GM's corporate incompetence over a span of years, they should not only be "demonized" but held criminally responsible.

Edited by sjordan2

Sorry but what GM is doing, is why they have dropped out of number 1 in sales in the world. Appointing a woman as CEO to get favor with the buying public and still making junk. WOW, you mean its ok to make 67 million cars that are junk, NOBODY, I mean nobody should make that much junk. They are by far the biggest maker of JUNK! I for one would not even give it a second thought to buy something from them. As you can see in the industry, they(GM) are going down in sale as others are going up, what does that tell you?

I agree with much said here . Especially with the idea many uninformed have no idea . New to the car Industry , Making Laws , Judgements how the Manufacturing / Sales works simply does not work .

Being clueless of and by this business is dangerous for so much such a Potentially Dangerous Machine yet is Reality . I have noted ad-nausea the problems GM made for themselves with the Business Motto and MO they adhere to . Unfortunately the other makers imitate GM .Policy : "When things go South with our products ; offer insane Trade Values on another GM car . Perhaps the ***** will be happy for awhile " Hide defects from the Buyers is a standard Car Business Practice form beginning to end .

Bob Tail '39 Buicks , PNRDL gear selectors , Corvair , Pontiac Tempest , Buick V/6's (did they get it right yet?) Vegas , Citations , are just some off the top of my head . Die hard GM fans IMHO are aptly named . This Corp may have been the Best Selling at some time in US History . So , all others copied to Compete . The Independents did not so much as they realized they had to do a Better Product to survive .

Art said it all with his statement ; "Until the Bean Counters got a hold of it " to Paraphrase . I've read all the Industry information for close to 60 Years I've been able to read of my accumulated 65 Years . This is every thing I saw in print . My Father read some of this to me before I could read and totally comprehend . I remember the Tucker ads he had and he took me to where the Dealership was in my very early years .. It closed before I was born , I was on the Property as a family connection of some sort was shared with it . BTW , It was the same Building as the New Stand Alone Edsel Dealership . So , we went there again this time when I could see the New Cars .

Some interesting readings are interviews , Biography , Epilogs of Failed Car Makers - especially Studebaker ;'Less than they Promised" . The piece expaling how the Stovebolt and SBC saved the day supplying Cheaper Power plants . Resulting in killing any residual Customer Loyalty with increasing Warranty Claims 6 fold .Most of my working career was in the Automotive Industries . At this point all I can say is what I head the most around GM on every level . "MR Peckerwood will continue to buy our stuff (putting it politey) . He will be happy to trade his problem unit for another one of ours as long as we get him Financed ."

Before I continue with my rant .. Thanx ..

Edited by dimaxion

I'm still pro GM. Every non GM vehicle I've owned has never been as good of a car or truck as my GM vehicles have been. A lot of the other brands have been good. And I have had problems with my GMs from time to time. But in general, The GMs have that give me the best overall performance, comfort, dependability, and value for my dollar.

Has GM made a lot of mistakes in the past? And even in the present? Yes. And they were/are stupid mistakes that should not have been made in many cases. And there are times I get tired of reading about GM's shenanigans. And think about changing my brand loyalty. But, then I get into one of many GM products I've owned over the years, turn the key, and am reminded of why I like their products best.

I do think some of the GM bashing is a little unfair. And again, it is some what deserved. General Motors is big. It's built/builds a lot of cars and trucks. So it's recalls will tend to be big too. There are a lot of cars and trucks they've built that are not recalled too. Does this justify the bad products and mistakes they've made? No. But let's keep a realistic view of things here. There is a reason they were once the largest producer of cars and trucks in the world. And it wasn't because everything they built (or build) was BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.

What will my next car or truck be, when the time comes? It's hard to say. But there is a better than 50/50 chance it will be a GM product.

Scott

Funny thing as we look at used cars. I decided to not buy a new car with a payment, but to find something a bit less that $10k and pay cash for it. A few of the cars currently in the running are GM. I looked them up and they are surprisingly trouble free and had very high consumer ratings on Kelly.

Cars we saw yesterday include the 2006 Buick LaCrosse that I had mentioned earlier on the board. It is blue, and was a bit darker in person than we expected. It has 40,000 miles on it. I talked to a guy getting out of one of these at a store this past week and he was very happy with the car. Said he bought it new and never an issue.

Then on the same lot are a 2007 Cadillac CTS with 61,000 miles and a 2004 SRX with 58,000 on it. Both are very nice looking cars and within my financial targets. Guys on this board approved of the Buick, but should I avoid either of these Caddys?

Same lot has a 08 Lincoln MKZ with 62k on it and an 07 Chrysler 300 with 49k on it...

I'd go with the Buicks unless you can get a good extended warranty on the 300. Reason my sister traded her Charger off is that she kept getting clunky noises from the rear suspension and since her extended warranty was up, it was going to cost a lot to fix since it uses Mercedes parts in the suspension. When she bought the Challenger, she got the same lifetime warranty from the dealer I did on my 200.

I'm sure all the cars your looking at Tom, including the Lincoln and Chrysler are probably fine cars. Being used cars (or even with new), you never know though. But, most cars today are pretty good. Being a Buick guy, I of course would recommend the LaCrosse. You'll never hear me complain about my 2000 LeSabre. It's the best car I've ever owned.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58