Model Cars Magazine Forum

View from my office. What does everyone else do all day?

freakshow12

IMG_0891-vi.jpg

The view from my office window... my kitchen table. I work from home 3-5 days a week, a fairly virtual worker communicating via email, phone and Live computer meetings with manufacturing facilities around the world. There's no reason for me to go my assigned company property since my boss is the only person I work with there. We get together to collaborate the 1-2 days a week in person. My day can start with calls to Europe as early as 6am, calls to US facilities during the day and sometimes meeting with Asia after 8pm.

Sharp eyes will have already spotted the deer in the above photo. She sits under that bush maybe 2 days I week that I notice.

view from my office, changes all the time

On my latest project, I'm under seven tower cranes. They were on limited duty last night though due to high winds. We've been trying to figure out what you guys do when nature calls! ;)

Here's a view on the daily commute.

20140909_154657.jpg

Yes this is a picture from my phone, not a publicity shot. B)

I've been a photographer and worked in photo labs since 1985. Currently I work for a company called Schiller's Camera. My title here is Photographic Restoration Artist. I also run a black-n-white darkroom out of my house. Yes people (including me) still shoot film. My office or desk is in the lab.

Here is an example of my work......

mcopsun_zps2dd409ac.jpg

mcopsre_zpsf477d44c.jpg

copsclose1_zps03f4a04e.jpg

copsclose22_zps97aa622a.jpg

No, it's just more skill-requiring. Getting the right aperture and angle, lighting... It's fun. Its a skill. It's an art.

Much like a certain hobby we might know...

Yep...........all my final darkroom prints (color or BW) are one-offs due to the manipulation during printing.

I took photo courses in college, B/W and color. 35mm, 2-1/4, and 4x5 with a view camera. What a monster that thing was, lugging it all over the place! Did all our own film developing and all our own printing in all formats.

Now that digital photography has taken its place, I can't say I miss the old way! No more endless hours in the darkroom developing film, then more endless hours in the darkroom making prints. So much easier now. I never run out of film, and Photoshop is my "darkroom."

But I do understand that doing it the old way can be a hobby unto itself. It does take skill. But I mainly remember it as a PITA!

I've been a photographer and worked in photo labs since 1985. Currently I work for a company called Schiller's Camera. My title here is Photographic Restoration Artist. I also run a black-n-white darkroom out of my house. Yes people (including me) still shoot film. My office or desk is in the lab.

mcopsun_zps2dd409ac.jpg

mcopsre_zpsf477d44c.jpg

Wow!! G is gonna love these. Great work, Ben.

mcopsun_zps2dd409ac.jpg

mcopsre_zpsf477d44c.jpg

Wow!! G is gonna love these. Great work, Ben.

AgentG thinks these are the coolest pics ever!

Scott we've spoke before and you know I am familiar with your shop. That sir is superb.

G

ps If I'm not mistaken that's my brother and I 3rd and fourth from the right....................................

;)

That makes you

Scott we've spoke before and you know I am familiar with your shop. That sir is superb.

G

ps If I'm not mistaken that's my brother and I 3rd and fourth from the right....................................

;)

That would make you 107 years old today. Hmmmmmm. 'Bout right! :lol:

G

;)

Thanks G.............! I've done many of retouch of these old pano photos. It's a fun job, my favorite thing about it is hearing all the back stories of these old photos.