Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Parts Replacement

I have been looking all over the Tamiya USA website and I can't find a place to request/order a replacement part. Lots of stuff for the RC cars, but nothing for us modelers.

Does Tamiya offer a way to replace a defective model part? Any advice?

Thanks

Danger

Eric at tamiya usa was great l. I called he asked for some pics of part. Sent out replacement few days later. Even emailed me when part was shipped. Took 2 days for ca to mo to get part. This is only the second time I had issue with a Tamiya product. First was unthreaded ball pin on coldbuster.

Defective part??? That is the first time I have heard that one. What happened? Easiest way is to call 800 Tamiya a. That is customer service.

I had a defective part once. it turned into poop after my dog ate it.

Seriously though, my dog ate the engine from my 360 Modena. I sent them an email explaining what happened and they sent me a new fret with parts, no fuss. They actually didn't even respond, it just showed up in the mail like 6 days later.

The nice thing about Tamiya is that you can order parts, such as tires, without resorting to the subterfuge of "losing parts". The cost of their parts service is reasonable and if they don't have something in stock they'll eventually get them in from Japan. I've got the new wheel trees for the 1/12 Datsun 240ZG on order now. Beats buying the kit again for the custom parts!

A guy on my club gave me a model kit already build (without paint, only put the piece together) but without decals (race car). First I disassembled the model, and checked that all the parts were ok, after I contacted Tamiya via email, telling what I said above, and asking if there is a way to find such a decals. The next day a guy contacted me and told me that because the kit was old, and out of production, they did not had original decals, but reprinted, and he wanted my address. A week later I received my parts! :)

I began thinking about the vast amount of kits produced by Tamiya. The fact only a handful of us ever had an issue (I never had) speaks volumes.

I chuckled to myself when I realized that it took a massive tsunami and impending nuclear meltdown to finally cause a short shot at the big "T" plant.

G

I have been through the Tamiya plant and it is amazing to see. It surprises to hear of defective parts, though with all the kits they make each day it is difficult to make them all perfect. The technique they use s a massive program of weighing them and human eyes and hands. Every line has a scale that all the parts pass over and get weight to within a 1/10 of a gram. They also have to pass visual inspection, as the parts are loaded in the box, they are reweighted and then the box gets reweighed again when it is finished. They also have a small area with people randomly taking kits off the line and building them. Well, I suppose it is better described as assembling them. No paint just cut the parts from the sprue and glue them together. If something doesn't work, they shut it down and find out why and break the whole run down and put the good parts back on the line and trash the bad parts.

The other company that amazes me is Lego. My kids have hundreds of kits from them and I don't ever recall getting a kit from them that had an extra part or was missing a part. Has anyone seen a Lego piece that was a short shot? I haven't.

I would say Tamiya is the best model company by far. Their quality control is outstanding. All it takes to build a Tamiya is put some glue and paint in the box shake it around and out pops a great model. Other model companies need to study Tamiya. And imo they have the best instructions.

If you click on the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page Harry posted you can e-mail Customer Service.

I had a 360 Modena I picked up open at a show and the decals were shot to heck and back. I e-mailed the Customer Service explaining the problem and requesting the cost of replacement decals. 3 days later I got an e-mail back stating decals were enroute, and by the end of the week I had them. They REALLY didn't have to replace that sheet at no cost, it wasn't their fault the previous owner stored the kit poorly.

If you click on the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page Harry posted you can e-mail Customer Service.

I had a 360 Modena I picked up open at a show and the decals were shot to heck and back. I e-mailed the Customer Service explaining the problem and requesting the cost of replacement decals. 3 days later I got an e-mail back stating decals were enroute, and by the end of the week I had them. They REALLY didn't have to replace that sheet at no cost, it wasn't their fault the previous owner stored the kit poorly.

I picked up a Modena that was missing the metal transfer scripts. and they sent me a new set no questions asked....