Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Baja: Parts are here

FASTBACK340

This is the start of me building a replica of a `68 Baja I owned back in the early 80's. The body itself is a beautiful Replicas & Miniatures resin piece. Whomever did the master did a superb job getting the proportions correct. As far as which kit I was going to use, I had looked at the Tamiya kit and though it looked really good. But since I wanted to see for myself if the "new" Revell `68, or whatever year it is… Beetle kit would work, I bought one. Wow, the Tamiya kit has a reasonably accurate VW twin beam front axle, which is visible with a narrow nose Baja. The Revell has a lump that glues to another lump with tiny little trailing arms for the spindles. Not to mention it looks like a Ghia or Type III floorpan shape. All incredibly wrong, especially for a Baja where so much is going to be visible. On the brighter side, that mess of a `68 will be easy to convert to my old `67 Cal Look sedan.

Hopefully this will roll along once I obtain the wheels & tires. Then I can fool with the ride height and alter the suspension. Aside from detailing, there shouldn't be too much insanity building this one. As far as fitment of the Tamiya kit pieces, here's a few shots of the interior quickly mocked-up.

The dash contours to the body nicely.

22436569322545-vi.jpg

The interior builds up piece by piece, lending itself to easier detailing.

29436569329669-vi.jpg

The floorpan is beautiful! This is going to drop on once the leading edges are trimmed just a slight wedge…..

31436569331860-vi.jpg

:UPDATE:

Board members Bill (GTX6970) & Jeff (Jeffs396) have stepped-up and offered some help with the rolling stock. Thank you guys for the help!

Once I get rims & tires we can really get into it.

Edited by FASTBACK340

Thanks guys! This is the narrow headlight version, which was technically illegal in N.Y.S. I had a pair of Bosch fog lights on the front bumper and a single 100w fog lamp as a reverse light mounted on the right side of the engine cage. I gotta find more pictures…...

I went over the Tamiya chassis and suspension and must say it's going to look good! The interior, once fitted, is all paint. The engine was relatively simple and the body basic. While the 1:1 was one of my favorite cars from my youth, it's no where near the epic project my Barracuda was last winter.

Maybe I'll get more done this season! :D

I'm quite convinced that the "master" for the Replicas resin Baja was/is the Kyosho RC-body as it has the exact same holes in the body where lights, crashbars and such should be mounted! It may have been slightly modified thou....???

Edited by Chromecop

I'm quite convinced that the "master" for the Replicas resin Baja was/is the Kyosho RC-body as it has the exact same holes in the body where lights, crashbars and such should be mounted! It may have been slightly modified thou....???

I'm with you on that. In your thread using the Kyosho body is identical, except cast in black plastic. What did that one cost?

Edited by FASTBACK340

very cool project. would love to build a replica of my real 69 so how hard do you think it would be to convert to a wide eye? or are the fenders cut to high ? my scratch building skills are pretty poor, do the Revell and Tamiya kits both have swing axle rears and king pin fronts ? thanks

I'm with you on that. In your thread using the Kyosho body is identical, except cast in black plastic. What did that one cost?

IIRC the RC body cost me about $80 total, incl shipping to Sweden. I know, that's more than 2 resin bodies, but I've never liked working with resin..... ;)

Just waiting on the wheels so I can mount the tires and start setting the chassis up. That's where the time will be spent, modifying the suspension. The rest is pretty much straight-forward.

Thanks again to JEFFS396 for suppling me with the off-road tires. I appreciate your help!