Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

never used resin

Hi folks, just a little question that is probably stupid but while i have heard of resin many times, and there are many kits in it I would like, I don't know the difference between styrene and resin. The question is how are they different to work with? Would i need new tools or glues/paints? Thankyou for your time

There are many kinds of resin. Some are very much like working with styrene; others are like trying to work Styrofoam.

Regular model cements won't work on any of them. You'll have to use superglues or epoxies to glue or fill them.

Resin sanding dust is considered to be very hazardous to your health, unlike styrene. Be very careful not to breathe the stuff in. Wear a mask or respirator if at all possible.

The good news is that most resins stand up to "hot" paints better than styrene.

Resin kits are usually of cars that either were never made in plastic kit form, or, are of cars that are no longer made in plastic kit form.

Resin can be sanded, filed and drilled like plastic but is usually more brittle and easier to chip or crack. You would need to use either super glue or 5 minute epoxy to glue resin parts together or to glue resin to plastic.

You should soak all unplated resin parts in Westley's Bleche White for a day before you do any work on them at all. You can get it at pretty much any Auto Parts store.

You should also use a good coat of primer under any paints that you will use. Laquer paints are safe to use on resin.

If you wind up having to strip paint from resin, use a household degreaser called Purple Power as it is safe for resin and will not cause it to melt or get soft.

If there's anything that I left out, I think other members will chime in here.

Hey, it's not really that big a deal. If there's something you've always wanted available in resin, at a price that's not too dear to you, go ahead and go for it! If you can do a good job on styrene, you shouldn't have any problems with a GOOD resin kit. (There are poor ones, too.)

Ask here about specific resin kits you're interested in. Chances are one or more of us can give you good advice on specific examples.

... you shouldn't have any problems with a GOOD resin kit. (There are poor ones, too.)

Ask here about specific resin kits you're interested in. Chances are one or more of us can give you good advice on specific examples.

Oh boy, are there poor ones. Some that only slightly resemble the subject matter, some that are 1/4 inch thick, some that are badly non-symmetrical, some that have really poorly modeled surface details...yup...ask here first before you buy a real pig.

I've bought several nasty ones, assuming that anybody who would go to the trouble of making a master and then making molds then making copies would do a nice job. Wrong.

But be warned Leslie, even a very good resin kit will, in all likelihood, require more prep work before painting or assembly than styrene. Many times there will be pin holes & voids to fill, warpage can be bit of a problem & chances are pretty god there may be a few part fit issues. These are things that may, or may not, arise with a good resin kit. If it's a bad one...... :blink: Steve

I think from what your saying that when i attempt my first resin that I would try one of the thicker ones since it would maybe be a little more forgiving for a first one. I still think I'll stick to plastic for now though until I get a little less rusty. Thanks again for all yout repliesV They have been very helpful

Anything you buy from Modelhaus should be okay. There other good resin kit makers out there too. But, I've found Modelhaus' resin to be consistently good. Don't be afraid to try it. It's really not that much different from styrene. I'm not the greatest model builder in the world. If I can do a good job with resin, anybody can. Modelhaus has helped me save a lot of old kits that were missing parts. Or had broken parts.

As we speak, I have the parts from Modelhaus to convert AMT's '70 Galaxie Police car into a '70 LTD. The resin hood is a little thicker than the the styrene hood, so I'm have to do a little work to make it fit flush. Other than that, I'm seeing no problems at all.

Scott

Anything you buy from Modelhaus should be okay. There other good resin kit makers out there too. But, I've found Modelhaus' resin to be consistently good. Don't be afraid to try it. It's really not that much different from styrene. I'm not the greatest model builder in the world. If I can do a good job with resin, anybody can. Modelhaus has helped me save a lot of old kits that were missing parts. Or had broken parts.

As we speak, I have the parts from Modelhaus to convert AMT's '70 Galaxie Police car into a '70 LTD. The resin hood is a little thicker than the the styrene hood, so I'm have to do a little work to make it fit flush. Other than that, I'm seeing no problems at all.

Scott

Can you put up some images to show and compare. I have the kit but would like to do a LTD. How much were the parts? I get totally confused on his website and i dont really know what im looking for

everyone raves about MH quality and service, but I agree the website would benefit from some additional photos and prose.

Yeh the web site is not good. I end up going to their paper catalog to find stuff. It's not great either. But, I find it better than their web pages. Still, their resin makes the search worth while.

Scott

i have no idea what is any good to me for builds i plan, like i have a couple of 70s Fords i want to make so i asked on here some time ago, and someone said goto that website.......but no idea what im looking for, what is right for a improvement etc. same with wheels, hub caps etc. for cars, years, versions etc. its great if you know what you want and know what it looks like but often i look at real images and see something on a cop car but hell no clue how to find it.

Ok a CV 97 i could work out but thats it lol. I have a few kits here i want to improve but im lost, its not a subject i know much about

the Drastic Plastics website has a bunch of Modelhaus stuff - with "pichers" fotki style.

fellow named John Sharisky has also done us all a great favor by sharing his fotki site.

I can't clip/paste or I'd post the links. maybe some kind soul could do same?

btw - MH website seems to be down for maintenance

Edited by southpier

Just took a look, apart from the Caprice station wagon i know nothing. Only know that as plan to get one for NYC cop car

Some time ago i spent ages trying to look through it, comparing with what little info i do know but without images not much use.

I do plan on doing a few 70s Fords AMT kits. So upgrades for that, and someone i think mentioned a LTD conversion. Somone said they had better wheels than some kits, for cops cars (i forget now which) but again no idea what. Same with MOnaco/Fury from the Goon car, im sure some nice updates but all i know its a 78.