Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite Obscure or Discovered Music Album

afx

• 1 month later...

This is the ultimate dirt road trailer park music..... (full album)

I’m sure many won’t like this sound, but the ones who do will find a connection. There’s a rawness and even a certain vulnerable kind of charm in the storytelling.

...And for those who like the hard stuff, this album does the trick for me🤪

Edited by Venom

2 hours ago, JollySipper said:

I LIKE Clutch! They're like a drunken redneck Primus......... Spacegrass is a really good song.

T- minus whenever it feels right.......

Yeah, off of that first album I like The House That Peterbilt...got to be the scariest trucker out there, lol😆... Their fantastical lyrical blibber blabber and far fetched stories can be quite humorous, and they can really crank out the power too. Definitely a satisfyingly strange band.

On 5/25/2021 at 2:46 AM, Venom said:

I’m sure many won’t like this sound, but the ones who do will find a connection. There’s a rawness and even a certain vulnerable kind of charm in the storytelling.

One of my favorites from that album:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
15 hours ago, JollySipper said:

You guys ever heard of this group? They're called Muse...... This kinda bizarre song really jams toward the end.

Muse are kind of a massive group!

Been a fan for many, many years now. 

If you ever get a chance to see them live, DO IT. One of the best concerts I've ever attended.

46 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Muse are kind of a massive group!

Been a fan for many, many years now. 

IIRC, Glenn Beck was a big fan of them, and played a couple of their songs on his radio show a good bit. But they didn't like him and hated that he was playing them for some reason. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks ago the words "nuclear chicken" were used in some context on Dana Loesch's talk show, and of course she remarked, as she does from time to time, that "Nuclear Chicken" would be a great name for a rock band. I guess she's too young to know that it's already been done. :lol:

On 5/25/2021 at 2:46 AM, Venom said:

...And for those who like the hard stuff, this album does the trick for me🤪

"Car Wheels" was my (and many peoples' ) introduction to the incomparable Lucinda Williams. It's very nearly a perfect album, and was a real career-definer for her. The follow-up, "Essence", is so dirty (in a good way) you almost need to shower after listening to it. 

Edited by jaymcminn

Back in 2015, Ryan Adams released a cover album of Taylor Swift's 1989. The story goes that after breaking up with his wife he played that album over and over until he finally asked Swift permission to cover it. He pared back the songs to their basics and turned a bouncy, overproduced pop confection into something introspective and powerful. It's worth a listen, even if (and probably especially if) you aren't familiar with the source material.