Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Mustang convertible - Repost

landman

Reprimed the TA body & took it out to the garage along with some Testor's Model Master Ford engine and the airbrush. Ended up dropping the airbrush and breaking it. So I went and got a can of Duplicolor bright red and tried that. Much better success this time. I may go with this on the Mustang.

Jan24155.jpg

Jan24153.jpg

Sanded the Mustang, reprimed and sanded it down again with 600. Ready to go to the paintshop.

Jan24151.jpg

The resin body has no lettering molded in and I will use the lettering from the PE set. The hood from the plastic fastback has lettering. Is it crisper than the PE would be? Also, if I use the photoetch lettering do I shave this one off first? I need to know this before I paint the car.

Jan24152.jpg

Aww man Pat!!! I feel for ya on that airbrush!! oh_jeez-1018_zpskf8ctjic.gifGlad you had the success on the Transam though!! I would assume that the letters have to come off of the hood before using the PE ones. I dunno....I think I'd leave the molded one's alone and paint those but that's me. I'd be real leery of the PE letters. Just my icon_smile_2cents.gif

I also know your frustration with breaking the airbrush. I did that with mine the other day when all I had left to paint was the spoiler for the rear of my RSX. If I had gotten it painted on Thursday I could be polishing it on Monday during lunch. But NO. That couldn't be the case. Oh well.

Looking good so far. Keep it up.

Later-

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the paint over foil lettering. Didn't turn out as expected. Maybe they're too small or maybe I rubbed too hard. In any case it'll be the PE letters using the marker hole locating method outlined by Marcos Cruz in my PE lettering thread.

IMG_1344.jpg

Tried several rattle cans since my airbrush is broken. This looks like it might do.

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

Shaved of the letters & made some location holes.

Feb4151.jpg

Masked off the engine compartment which had already been painted black.

Feb4152.jpg

Tried my hand at paintin'er. The first photo was taken in the booth. The light in the booth gives it an orangey glow. So I took a couple on the bench.

Feb4155.jpg

1307522065_Feb415(4).JPG.70354268f8574a83df65160d9e6dac0f.JPG

Feb4153.jpg

Edited by landman

It lost a bit of a shine overnight but is still OK. Now for the next steps. I hope someone helps with this. This is how I think it should go:

• Leave it to harden
  • Attempt to polish the nibs & fuzz with a clean microfiber cloth.
  • If not sand with very fine paper.
  • BMF, then clear

or:

• Leave to harden
  • BMF
  • Clear
  • Sand with very fine paper, re-clear
  • Rub

Please , I need guidance with this.

IMG_1372.JPG.f06c8361a2dcac68405c0f5818360d9d.JPG

Edited by landman

You are gonna get a number of opinions here, your paint looks good, but let it dry fully!!

My suggestion would lean to the second method except BMF after you sanded....b/c you will scratch it up and have to redo the BMF; ask me how I know.

So IMHO taken with a grain of salt, your mileage may vary:

LEAVE TO HARDEN...like over the weekend even

Wet sand gently to as fine as you want don't go through paint but get out the fluffs and dust

Recheck you don't need any touch up spray areas you over sanded, repeat first two steps if you respray

First, THIN clear and 24 hr dry minimum

UltraFine wet sand if needed

BMF, decals and other detail bits of PE

Final clear coats, rub out, buff, wax if desired

I always test out a small area before I do the whole car...paint varies

It saved my bacon on my MG as my cut wax rub out on the door I tested took all the clear off. SO I decided no buff and wax on that paint, just polish

Thanks Scott. I wetsanded with 1000grit. Managed to go through the sharp raised areas as you said not to do. So I gave it another coat. Got rid of the fuzzies. How do I smooth the bottom of the door shut lines?

Feb10154.jpg

Feb10151.jpg

Edited by landman

Looks fantastic!!!

Not sure where you mean to smooth, but go with as fine a paper as you can get your mitts on and LIGHTLY smooth

You have done yourself proud here in my opinion

I love the rolling frame under the car, had to take a second look to see it isn't a real 1:1

Will you do panel line black details???

If you haven't before and want to, try it out on your test Camaro.

It is not to be taken lightly as easy to screw it all up

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80880&hl=%2Bpanel+%2Blines

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Did the panel lines with black wash and touched up the engine compartment. Not sure if I'm happy with it. It bled on the upper front of the driver's door. The joint between the headlight pods and the front fenders isn't that prominent in real life. I may touch that up with red paint.

Feb12153.jpg

Feb12154.jpg

Feb12155.jpg