Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 65 Chevelle AWB Question

VW93

1 hour ago, Mark said:

But the Revell kit is a Z-16, only 201 of those were built.  Different trim and taillight panel from the more common Malibu, and the frame is slightly different (Z-16 used the convertible frame).  Revell would have been wiser to have done a run-of-the-mill Malibu.  The interior might be usable if it fits the AMT body.

I think it would be better to get a stock 64 Malibu instead 

• Like 2

Thought about buying the Chevelle kit. I just finished building the 65 Nova Funny Car kit.  Worst kit I've ever built, very crude. I had to force myself to finish building it. The Chevelle looks pretty much the same as the Nova except it has better glass, tail lights and tires (rubber vs plastic). Think I'll pass.

Edited by 58 Impala

7 hours ago, M W Elky said:

I think it would be better to get a stock 64 Malibu instead 

I agree. Would that require the kit to be cloned or would it make sense for an all new tool.

9 hours ago, Mark said:

But the Revell kit is a Z-16, only 201 of those were built.  Different trim and taillight panel from the more common Malibu, and the frame is slightly different (Z-16 used the convertible frame).  Revell would have been wiser to have done a run-of-the-mill Malibu.  The interior might be usable if it fits the AMT body.

Ah wasn't aware of the differences.

On 10/11/2023 at 9:35 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Not sure it would make sense as Revell already does a stock version. They'd have to change the body, hood. They also need a stock interior and chassis.

download (15).jpeg

17 hours ago, Mark said:

Don't forget that Revell also botched the drip rail/side window shape on their '65 Chevelle.

In addition to the issues that Mark lists above, Revell also chose to depict bumper guards in their kit.  Many people would prefer to not have those (this is also a gripe on the Lindberg '66 Chevelle).  Add in the fact that from the factory, Z-16's were only available in four colors (red, white, black, yellow), so you're pretty restricted in how you can build that kit.

I think a cloned factory stock "standard" '65 Chevelle SS could be a big hit for Round 2.  Of course, a '64 would also be great - we haven't had one of those available in styrene for 59 years!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 58 Impala said:

Thought about buying the Chevelle kit. I just finished building the 65 Nova Funny Car kit.  Worst kit I've ever built, very crude. I had to force myself to finish building it. The Chevelle looks pretty much the same as the Nova except it has better glass, tail lights and tires (rubber vs plastic). Think I'll pass.

I built the nova around 20 years ago, yes very simple, but I liked how it went together. Sometimes the simple builds is what it takes for me at least. I have had little time since the springtime to build and cant wait to spend some time building. I agree 100% on the tires and swapped those out.   

IMG_4828.JPG

Edited by wrenchr
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Don't forget that Revell also botched the drip rail/side window shape on their '65 Chevelle.

In addition to the issues that Mark lists above, Revell also chose to depict bumper guards in their kit.  Many people would prefer to not have those (this is also a gripe on the Lindberg '66 Chevelle).  Add in the fact that from the factory, Z-16's were only available in four colors (red, white, black, yellow), so you're pretty restricted in how you can build that kit.

I think a cloned factory stock "standard" '65 Chevelle SS could be a big hit for Round 2.  Of course, a '64 would also be great - we haven't had one of those available in styrene for 59 years!

+1 on all this, plus what Mark said. 

Couple years ago I restored an original AMT Craftsman '65 Chevelle SS, and the body is definitely more accurate than the Revell Z16's. The Z16's weird/unusual trim is also a problem. 

The original AMT '65 Chevelle AWB kit retained all the factory emblems and trim, and quite nicely done, too. You could have grafted in the Revell Z16's lower quarters and come up with a nice, accurate "regular" '65 Malibu body, which you could then combine with the rest of the Revell kit (with a new SBC engine, of course) to make a nice '65 Chevelle. The new AWB sadly, doesn't. They didn't even put the Malibu emblems on the decal sheet. And of course the headlights are missing. 

So there's no good/easy/cheap way to get to a "regular" '65 Malibu body. Not factory stock, anyway. Un-altering the wheelbase could get you a nice body for "street machine" or pro-stock/pro-street use, though. 

Let's hope Round 2 tools us up a nice "curbside" '65 Malibu kit along the lines of their recent '65 GTO. 

• 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, cooltoys1 said:

Yeah, why the heck did they not tool the body with the scripts?  even the CHEVROLET is gone on the rear.

For the AF/X '65, it’s not a stock body.  Would an actual AF/X drag car have emblems?  I haven’t seen the original kit, did it have emblems? 

Or do you mean the upcoming stock '64..I assume the badging will be handled with decals. 

Edited by Rob Hall

1 hour ago, cooltoys1 said:

Yeah, why the heck did they not tool the body with the scripts?  even the CHEVROLET is gone on the rear.

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

For the AF/X '65, it’s not a stock body.  Would an actual AF/X drag car have emblems?  I haven’t seen the original kit, did it have emblems? 

Or do you mean the upcoming stock '64..I assume the badging will be handled with decals. 

The original '65 altered wheelbase had the scripts, since it was the the first butchering of the '65 annual/promo body.  So in that regard, the new retooled version differs from the orignal.

Since it's not based on any 1:1, it's personal opinion whether they should be on an AF/X car or not.  On a 1:1, the quarters would need to be respayed after the extensive metalwork, so I suspect it's more likely the emblems would have been left off and the holes filled.

But since this kit is all about pure nostalgia/duplicating a lost kit, I am a bit surprised at the deviation from the original.

On 2/11/2024 at 2:04 PM, Robberbaron said:

But since this kit is all about pure nostalgia/duplicating a lost kit, I am a bit surprised at the deviation from the original.

Probably cheaper to use decals for badges than engraving...

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 11:35 AM, 58 Impala said:

I just finished the ‘65 Chevy II AWB kit which has been on my to-do list for about 25 years. I enjoyed the quick build but the kit’s problem arose when I tried to afix the body to the chassis/interior assembly. The fit was awful. Ended up cutting the window unit into front and rear glass so that the roof can come down closer to the roll bar. Also had to fabricate an right-angle styrene bracket to afix to the firewall and cowl underside so that I could create a front glue-down point. The kit, otherwise, has no obvious glue points to cement the body to the chassis. Seems like a case of, not poor design but, NO design…

Anyways, in the end I was happy to git ‘er done!

IMG_0744.jpeg

• Like 1