Model Cars Magazine Forum

New kits with flaws.

And YOU are perfect? You and Bill are twins.

There's a huge difference between someone thinking they're "perfect" (which no one here has ever claimed or even alluded to) and in striving for excellence in what they do, on a daily basis.

It is NOT a difficult distinction to make, but apparently is impossible for those of you who are content to slide through life doing just barely good enough, and making excuses for your second-rate performances.

But people who are content with average have always attacked people who aren't, so why should this little microcosm of humanity be any different?

I sincerely hope you'll enjoy your mediocrity, because with that attitude, that's all you'll ever achieve. If "good enough" is always good enough for you, that's fine with me. It's NOT good enough for some of us.

There's a huge difference between someone thinking they're "perfect" (which no one here has ever claimed or even alluded to) and in striving for excellence in what they do, on a daily basis.

I sincerely hope you'll enjoy your mediocrity, because with that attitude, that's all you'll ever achieve. If "good enough" is always good enough for you, that's fine with me. It's NOT good enough for some of us.

You really know how to contradict yourself, don't you Bill?

Good enough just might be the best someone is capable of or it could be YOUR interpretation, which is it? Why does it have to be YOUR definition of "excellent"? in order to be correct?

It is NOT a difficult distinction to make, but apparently is impossible for those of you who are content to slide through life doing just barely good enough, and making excuses for your second-rate performances.

But people who are content with average have always attacked people who aren't, so why should this little microcosm of humanity be any different?

Hey Bill, how about you go spend some time at your bench working on a build and finishing it. Then show us some of this excellence you strive to achieve from all the knowledge you have.

You really know how to contradict yourself, don't you Bill?

Good enough just might be the best someone is capable of or it could be YOUR interpretation, which is it? Why does it have to be YOUR definition of "excellent"? in order to be correct?

No sir, you try to force contradictions that aren't there.

As I wrote to you in a PM, the point of which you continue to fail to grasp:

I expect "people ALL do the best they can, to whatever level of talent they're blessed with.

I don't expect everyone to be gifted in the same areas to the same degree. What I DO expect is that the man whose innate ability limits him to sweeping the floor does it to the best of his ability, and not leave piles of dirt while making excuses about the broom being too heavy, too short, or not exactly like the broom he's used to using."

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Hey Bill, how about you go spend some time at your bench working on a build and finishing it. Then show us some of this excellence you strive to achieve from all the knowledge you have.

I do it on a daily basis at work, and all you have to do is look around on here to see the quality of my modeling. I've NEVER claimed to be any more than competent as a modeler in some areas, and freely admit to lacking skills in other areas.

And I'm never entirely satisfied or complacent with ANY of my work. There's always room for improvement, and recognizing this and acting on it makes the next piece of work just a little better. This is the definition of "pursuit of excellence".

My builds often get shelved indefinitely because, rather than just throwing some crapp together and expecting praise, I take the time necessary to develop my skills to the point of being able to achieve my vision.

Notice, I do NOT make excuses for doing mediocre work. If I can't do something that's up to the level I expect of myself, I work on my skills until I can.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Harry and Jeff have it right in their posts above. But Dave's point that I've quoted here basically says that a company like Moebius (or Revell or Round 2) cannot afford to build and finance a factory operation, based on the volume of product that our market will absorb. The concept of outsourcing, whether domestic or international is based on buying the resources, just for the time needed to produce your product. That's what makes model kits feasible in today's market. The vendor in China that they employ not only produces Moebius products, but has other clients that fill it's schedules and make it's venture profitable. And that is a whole 'nuther business!

This is true. Companies in the US already do this sort of thing, but they don't manufacture model kits. Plus they tend to be companies that have been around for aeons. Their factories are already designed to deal with yearly tooling changes like a car company. They are also international companies that can rely on their network of toolers, computer operators, CAD designers, 3D designers et al to create a cohesive system. US companies like Harley build the largest part of their product in the US but small ancillary bits are manufactured over seas and by other small companies in the USA. A company like the one I work for does this kind of work because a wiring harness or cabling is still pretty much a hands on operation. Although we do molding, we could not do model kits on our molders because they do not run 24 - 7 and they are quite antiquated compared to what Mobeus' Chinese partner uses. Also, everyone talks about made in America cars...well even my Chevy has work done in it's manufacture that comes from every part of the globe. It's engine was made in Tonowanda, New York, the body and chassis was assembled in mexico, plus the wheels and other thing like rotors and caliper assemblies were made in China. It has been one of the most reliable cars I have owned. It's going on five years old now. The new Chevy Impala is Australian made on a Holden platform (Commodore). I am quite pleased with Mobeus' kits, I have several and I'm going out today to buy a Prostar truck kit.

I personally think Moebius is doing consistently excellent work. Revell does it most of the time.

I'm glad so many re-issues are coming back on the market too, built to exactly the standards that were acceptable when they were new. In those cases, good enough is indeed good enough.

NONE of my remarks were ever intended to be attacks on or severe criticisms of any individual or company, and I too appreciate Mr. Metzner taking the time to explain the process his company uses to get such fine models to us.

FYI... that should be a capitol "Y" starting your sentence....

How about posting something relevant to the topic of this thread?

I couldn't resist this one, especially because of the context.

States and nations have capitols -- small correction...capital cities have capitol buildings.

Words have capital letters.

^_^

Edited by sjordan2

Another spelling cop!!! Excuse me while I go work on my breaks....LOL. Nice call, Skip.

I am fond of spelling/grammar cops who, in the midst of their corrections, get spelling/grammar all wrong. 'Tis very amusing, I constantly fight the urge to make corrections; I don't edit unless I am paid.

Go you know where. My builds are NOT mediocre.

I did not say it was excellent, but my work is far from mediocre. You need a lesson in courtesy yourself. Throwing insults is not curious. Get off your high horse. FYI, I am not happy about mistakes being made by the model companies, but Dave's explanation makes it understandable to most of us. This IS a hobby after all.

I did not say it was excellent, but my work is far from mediocre. You need a lesson in courtesy yourself. Throwing insults is not curious. Get off your high horse. FYI, I am not happy about mistakes being made by the model companies, but Dave's explanation makes it understandable to most of us. This IS a hobby after all.

Tell you what, Lee. I'll apologize for anything I have said that was interpreted as me being a butt. I'd really rather be friends with ALL you guys than have silly wordslinging contests.

We can agree to disagree on some things without getting nasty, and like I said, I'll open the apologies myself. I'm NOT the only one, or even the first, to engage in childlike behavior here, but I'll be the first to try to help get back to everyone having a good time.