Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2015 " The Sleeperball"

wagonmaster

Gottcha....k, me ...slow :blink:

Bit of an update,....small stuff,...

thought I would get thru the little things, before tackling the BIG ones,....(like an interior:rolleyes:)

Small things into paint...

Pinned the door handles...

Gave my helper the daunting task of punching out some questionable repro license plates

Hey ...ur getting piece work !! We're on a deadline !

Some people's kids...I tell ya

The mechanics of the poll software allows only five choices per question. So the choices have to be grouped. It would be nice if there could be one question with unlimited choices but per Jantrix, Gregg won't change the program just for our CBP.

Now the None of the Above makes perfect sense.  :D

This may have been discussed before, I don't recall, but I wonder if it would be more equitable to have only one vote with "None of the above" as an option for the groups and instructions to vote for one model only. The rest of the groups get "none of the above."  I could prepare thumbnails too to aid in choosing rather than ask voters to shuttle over to the other thread. Something like this. It would be more presentable than this but you get the idea.

Group 1

1. Helix - Dodge Ram 50 Helix_zps6owskpnl.jpg 

2. Christian-W - Mini Cooper Christian-W_zpsbavzwjhh.jpg

3. Dominik - VW Beetle Dominik_zpsw1o9zyjs.jpg

4. Rotorbolt73 - '76 Chevy Caprice Rotorbolt73_zpsrdjsnqfe.jpg

5. None of the above

Group 2

1. Jantrix - '77 AMC Pacer Wagon

2. Chunkypeanutbutter - '76 International Harvester Scout II

3. Drag Freak - '64 Ford Fairlane

4. Vekasiini - Delahaye 135

5. None of the Above

I'm pretty sure that is how we voted in 2013 . I was just wondering if the site was going to go down again in tne middle of voting again ,maybe the vote should wait until after that happens again

This may have been discussed before, I don't recall, but I wonder if it would be more equitable to have only one vote with "None of the above" as an option for the groups and instructions to vote for one model only. The rest of the groups get "none of the above."  I could prepare thumbnails too to aid in choosing rather than ask voters to shuttle over to the other thread. Something like this. It would be more presentable than this but you get the idea.

Yep, we've discussed it before, but the reason we passed on it was because most folks suck at following directions.

We can tell them to just vote for one and "none of the above" for the rest, but the second one idiot doesn't do that and picks one he likes from each group our results are flawed. If you guys want to try that we can, but if we get 40 voters and 52 cars voted for we know that there were some non-instruction-readin'-morons involved. The thumbnails are a groovy idea though. Lets make that happen.

Edited by Jantrix

Clearcoated the relevant Cruiser parts tonight. Me and a partner at work won $400 in a radio trivia game and we split it. I bought a food dehydrator with part of my share. Tonight I cut open the trays and gave it a test run. The Cruiser is in it now, we'll see what all the buzz is about.

Awesome work Bruce, Matthew, Bill and Karl!

Last update for me, the end is in sight, should have her finished tomorrow.

Scratch built some door handles.

12273572_781657108646820_106922039725251

Finished the battery.

12309746_781657111980153_698700112235445

Run the exhaust system. One set goes to single glass packs and another piped out to the back with dual mufflers to keep her nice and quite when needed.

12307952_781657155313482_808046577421186

As an extra sleeper feature I installed little dribbler systems into the rear mufflers to make it appear to smoke.

12311145_781657118646819_550381478203534

Also changed out the rear tail lights. I was going to use the kits but looking at 1:1 pictures I noticed they don't stick out as far as the kits, not on the wagon at least so I made my own.

Kits original.

12308086_781657201980144_845951420977392

Mine.

12291942_781657161980148_693812321506921

Also I thought I would add a extra small little detail, valve streams to the tires.

12304537_781657158646815_774654373241471

Wow Jonathan, I thought I had a lot of annoying details but you're thinking of everything.

The Cruiser is very close to finished. Hope to wrap tomorrow. The Bare Metal Foil brand decal paper was very disappointing. It lays down okay but the ink flakes off when you cut and trim. I printed on white because I thought the print would be richer. I hope the ink adheres better to the clear sheet, but that's for another project. For this reason the cutouts around the door handles are hashed but it is what it is.

I'm calling this a 2004 and going with body colored bumpers. They were black in 2001 and 2002.

BodyAlmostFinished_zps5u35k4eh.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer

Early on I had proposed to do a 1980 Volare from an old junker I have.  My secret plan was to scratch build a Tesla chassis with the electric motors, but I never got anywhere near this project.  So I'm out!  :(

Great work from the rest of you!  I'm really enjoying this thread and group build.

The decals turned out great Mike. It gives the PT a very nice look.

Nice build Fred! Weathering looks spot on!

Great work Bill and August!

Looks like stiff competition this year, a lot of you are really hitting the mark.

Speaking of which I'd like to present to all of you, the ultimate entry. Here it is.

12308183_782087355270462_708346169211932

I found a way to make it invisible. :D

Joking aside my wagon is done and I'll be posting photos tomorrow.

Great work again you guys! 

The decals turned out great Mike. It gives the PT a very nice look.

Nice build Fred! Weathering looks spot on!

Great work Bill and August!

Looks like stiff competition this year, a lot of you are really hitting the mark.

Speaking of which I'd like to present to all of you, the ultimate entry. Here it is.

12308183_782087355270462_708346169211932

I found a way to make it invisible. :D

Joking aside my wagon is done and I'll be posting photos tomorrow.

Great work again you guys! 

Mine can fly.

Hey guys, just a quick note here. I'm going to be slammed at work pretty hard over the next two weeks so I have asked Mike (Lunajammer) to take care of the race poll this year, and he's agreed to. If you guys want to try the "none of the above" idea and only do the one poll, it's fine by me.

No matter how this shakes out I've been very happy to hang and build with you guys once again. It's been fun. See you at the finish line.

Jonathan, is it my computer or are your pics squashed? I've only viewed them on Macs. Is it a "fit to space" setting or something?

They've been appearing fine on my side, Win7 on either IE or Firefox. I'm bouncing them off of my Facebook page so that may be causing problems. I'll try using Photobucket for the final photos though, hopefully that will stop it from stretching them.

The 'none of the above" option is fine with me Rob and Mike.

Edited by TFchronos