Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Chevrolet Impala SS

Lovefordgalaxie

Great to see you building a Chevy, too! This sure is a good looking car, it's just a shame that AMT kit is pretty simple...Especially the engine bay and chassis are not on "today's standards". You did very good job with this one, though. That paint job is really impressive. Gloss black is hard to get right, but it couldn't be any better than this. Nice and clean work overall also.

Great to see you building a Chevy, too! This sure is a good looking car, it's just a shame that AMT kit is pretty simple...Especially the engine bay and chassis are not on "today's standards". You did very good job with this one, though. That paint job is really impressive. Gloss black is hard to get right, but it couldn't be any better than this. Nice and clean work overall also.

Niko, that's actually great you said that. People think because I'm a Ford guy I hate them Chevrolets. Nothing could be more far from the true. The fact is I have a preference for Ford cars, but it's not a radical thing, otherwise I wouldn't have a full scale Chevy truck in my garage.

I really like the AMT kit. Maybe most of all just because it's so simple. I have one, still in the box, that has lights!!

Also thanks on the paint job.

Guys, thanks a lot for the compliments on the Impala.

The paint I used I already told you is automotive synthetic enamel, what I didn't tell you, is that I bought the can last year for about 4,50 Dollars (yes, one liter of paint) have already painted two cars, and the can is almost full still. Talk about a cheapo paint job!!!! Also used my cheapo airbrush that is a knock off of a Badger 350, and costed 7 Dollars... Two years ago... and does the exact same job as the real deal 350, I know, I have one.

With the price Tamiya is getting here, and that is the only modeling paint I use for car bodies, I'm giving a try to other ways to paint a car.

Also, the foil, is household aluminum foil and white glue. I was out of Bare Metal when built the Impala.

This is the Impala just painted:

15986336007_5f19a9bfa9_c.jpg1964 Chevrolet Impala SS by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

15549767074_9f5c2d030f_c.jpg1964 Chevrolet Impala SS by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

16171364722_b814be42a0_c.jpg1964 Chevrolet Impala SS by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

15986329937_a6de967cc4_c.jpg1964 Chevrolet Impala SS by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

16172139525_5f3b59ca8a_c.jpg1964 Chevrolet Impala SS by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

The automotive paint reduced for airbrush use:

15552351163_a514d60a29_c.jpg1964 Chevrolet Impala SS by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr