Model Cars Magazine Forum

Having stopped building plastic since I moved and don't have a dedicated room for building plastic, I thought I would try wood.

I've never built balsa before so here is my effort so far. I still have to cover and paint, but it built up easily and quickly. It's a Guillow's DHC-2 Beaver @ 1/24 scale. I'm not building it to fly, just for display.

IMG_0001_zps2117d293.jpg

IMG_0007_zpsfa194921.jpg

IMG_0004_zps945fb29d.jpg

It looks like you are off to a very good start on this build. These can look very good as display models. It helps if you can get the scale prop and wheels for it. Some kits have these and some don't. I have a Sopwith Camel at the same stage of construction. But I need a few plastic parts. I will be following with great interest. The Beaver is a great airplane And I can't wait to see her finished.

I too have a pair of "Stick 'n Tissue" kits . A Stinson (Reliant and SR 7) WIP's . The SR 7 is my third or fourth attempt to finish this kit . Fourth kit , yes A scale prop and wheels are some of my sticking points . The Big Radial I scratch built by copies of the Engine for 3 D . Straight Pins I used for the Pushrod Tubes so prominent on these Engines . As with The Wings and Tailplane warp-age is really a major roadblock . The previous 3 did not happen until the Tissue was applied . This try , I've left the parts sit without going forward with the skin . Still warped beyond UGLY . So , I've pinned these back onto the the Plan / construction board . After a year , these parts returned to proper shape . I cross braced and clear coated to seal the wood . I followed this tip from an RC Expert . Don't know how well this fix worked yet . . I have to re-locate also . In have a WIP of a 1901 Curved Dash Olds . The Body will be Balsa . All my Modeling is on hold and will remain until I unpack after our move . I will watch this WIP . Don't give up the (Air)Ship ! Thanx ..

Edited by dimaxion

• 1 month later...

wow!!! that looks great...i picked up a whole box of these planes at a flea market last year....comet model by hobby craft inc...think they are from the 50's... if i can i'll dig them out of the closet and post a few photos... the box art is what caught my attention

Here is a pic of my Canadian Whiskey promo Beaver

P1000275.jpg

Prefer the tail drager as opposed to the floats, still a pretty plane

greg

That looks like the Sudbury Aviation Beaver thats located on White Water lake in Azilda

Your beaver is looking awsome. noce work

that looks phenomenal, but i don't understand how building it takes less space than plastic.

To build this balsa plane, I purchased a large corkboard. Eveything I needed to build fit on the top of the corkboard and I had a nice flat place to pin the plans to build the kit. It's portable and I carry it to an old dining room table in the family room when I was building the plane. After working, I could return the whole set up to my storage room and the family room stayed neat.The only tools needed were super glue, a razor knife, swiss files and sandpaper. No paint, which where I previously resided, took up several drawers in a table, an old wardrobe, and the bottles sat in the top of my tackle box converted into a model tools box. The unfinished room I plan to turn into a hobby/display area is filled with boxes of builts and kits. My old computer desk where I used to build, is covered with boxes too. Finally this keeps my wife happy because she doesn't have to see the mess of building a model.

Looks real good so far. I really like that table too. I tried a balsa Fw 190A one time, but didn't get too far before I lost interest.

Thanks, that table is part of a 3 piece set from Ashley furniture. I like them too. Strange you mentioned the FW 190. When I was a kid, my dad bought the FW 190, but he never had time to work on it. I tried to put some of the parts together, but just made a mess of it. That is what led me to this build. I had planned to build the 190, but couldn't find a kit at my LHS. I bought this instead becuase I work for Bombardier who owns de Haviland Canada, the company that built DHC-2 Beavers and still buillds the DHC-8 or Dash 8.

Here is a pic of my Canadian Whiskey promo Beaver

Prefer the tail drager as opposed to the floats, still a pretty plane

greg

Is this the yellow plastic Cansian Mist promo kit? If it is, you did a fantastic job repainting and decaling it. I noticed the promo has no windows. Did you open them up or use the black decals?

• 1 month later...

Between work, home repairs and weather, I finally painted and decaled it. It is only mocked up, I still need to cut the window openings, clear everything and final assembly. I'm very happy with the results.

IMG_0006_zpszx9l0fki.jpg

IMG_0007_zpskd6gjuud.jpg

IMG_0008_zpsjmckltll.jpg

IMG_0009_zpstwgtctnk.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments, almost there.

OK, it's done. Thanks to Guillow's forum, this turned out even better than I hoped. The tissue paper was a bit frustrating, but I read enough tutorials and followed the instructions, and things turned out OK. It's far from perfect, but I'm pretty happy.

Right%20side%20flash_zpsmusyv23b.jpg

Front%20flash_zpsj1jleble.jpg

Left%20side%20flash_zpswjbtgons.jpg

Top%20flash_zpsh1hdvujr.jpg

Edited by THarrison351