Model Cars Magazine Forum

1936 Mercedes 540K

Harry P.

Harry, knowing the kit it is obvious that you achieved what can be achieved. Even your colour choice looks great.

I built the same kit in the seventies under the Gakken label. The only thing I remember is that the surfaces of the chrome parts, particularly the chrome strips, were abysmal. They looked like crumpled aluminum foil. Without BMF or Alclad there was no remedy.

Your chrome parts, however, look perfect. Unless Academy reworked the kit did you rework those surfaces?

I find it semi-amusing when people refer to the 1/16 kits of Minicraft as Minicrap. Almost all of their 1/16 kits originated with other manufacturers like Gunze Sangyo, Academy, and have been issued earlier by Entex, Revell, et al. Minicraft is a mixed bag -- some kits are good, some aren't.

Edited by sjordan2

Harry, knowing the kit it is obvious that you achieved what can be achieved. Even your colour choice looks great.

I built the same kit in the seventies under the Gakken label. The only thing I remember is that the surfaces of the chrome parts, particularly the chrome strips, were abysmal. They looked like crumpled aluminum foil. Without BMF or Alclad there was no remedy.

Your chrome parts, however, look perfect. Unless Academy reworked the kit did you rework those surfaces?

Jürgen, you're right... the surface of the chrome trim pieces is bad, exactly as you describe. The right thing to do would have been to sand them all smooth and then either use Alclad on them, or glue them all in place, paint the body, then foil them. But I took the easy way out and used them as is. They aren't perfect... not even close... but they do look ok. If I was building this kit to enter in a contest, I would definitely have fixed the chrome. But it's only going on my shelf, so I don't have to try and get it perfect.

Harry...I don't know the history of this kit, but is it one that saw life previously under the Entex label in the mid 1970's? If so, I can only imagine what you had to do to make it look this sharp....and it does looks terrific. Congratulations! TIM

Thanks, Tim. Apparently it's one of those kits that has made the rounds under various brand names over the years,

Hey-you used that 'Harry' once before...... :angry: :angry: :angry:

I did?

Ooops.

I'll have to find a new one...

Another absolutely stunning classic, Harry!

You have such an impressive portfolio. Maybe your work could be featured in the scale auto pamphlet where they do the builder bios. :P

Just a thought. It'd be nice to see your work in a magazine! ^_^