Model Cars Magazine Forum

I OD'd on Monday night

LDO

No, not on drugs. Too much garlic. No joke. I made Greek pizza. I roast garlic and spread it on the crust before adding the the rest of the ingredients. I've been making this stuff for years, and slowly increased the amount of roasted garlic. Tuesday morning, my stomach was in serious pain. I was bloated and nauseous. I've never felt like that before. I went home from work after just a couple of hours. I also took today off.

There is no official "do not exceed" amount, but 2-3 cloves a day is a general guideline. My pizza had 2 whole BULBS of roasted garlic on it.

If you've never roasted garlic, you should try it. After roasting, it spreads like butter. Used in moderation, it adds a lot of flavor to many dishes.

Awesome Greek pizza (may not really be Greek, but who cares?):

Add to your favorite pizza crust:

roasted garlic

marinated artichoke hearts

diced onions

sliced mushrooms

sliced Kalamata olives

diced Feta cheese (works better than crumbled Feta)

top with paper-thin Roma tomato slices

Yeah, it's pizza without tomato sauce or mozzarella, but it is good. Trust me. Just don't go nuts with the roasted garlic.

Reminds me of my experience using natural/artificial vanilla extract...

So back when I was a teen, I loved milkshakes... a lot. They were my favorite thing. You know, all kids go thru phases.

So I was reading up on how to make a real deal vanilla milkshake like a restaraunt. And I saw that artificial vanilla extract was used. So I would make my milkshake with ice cream, milk and artificial vanilla. It was amazing.

So next time I thought if it was good maybe I should try more. It was still amazing!

So the time after that I thought to myself if artificial vanilla extract tastes good then natural vanilla extract should be EVEN BETTER!

Right?

Wrong.

I apparently used too much. And it's a darn good thing I had 3 days in a row off of work that week because I lived on the toilet for a few days.

Now I'm apparently mildly lactose intolerant. Yay

What is "moderation" ???

My lack of understanding of moderation, forced me into going to AA meetings nearly 40 years ago now. Not that I'm complaining. Been sober for over 35 of those years straight now. But, I gave up the booze and took up eating and collecting things. I weight around 325 pounds. I have several hundred model kits. Well over a thousand other toy cars. And several thousand books, magazines, and sales brochures (mainly on cars). DVDs? I don't know. But a lot. "Moderation"? I've never heard of the word.

Scott

Lee, Like you my wife and I enjoy garlic. We will usually bake a couple of cloves in a little olive oil. After cooking it is easy to squeeze out into a small dish with olive oil in it. This can then be spread on a fresh sliced sour dough bread. As for an antidote I recommend good red wine. As Scott pointed out you just need to be carful about to much antidote.

A weird side effect; the smell coming through my skin. It has happened before, but with this crazy amount of garlic, the smell is like cutting fluid (oil) that we use when threading gas pipe. It's a stinky industrial smell. So bizarre.

My lack of understanding of moderation, forced me into going to AA meetings nearly 40 years ago now. Not that I'm complaining. Been sober for over 35 of those years straight now. But, I gave up the booze and took up eating and collecting things. I weight around 325 pounds. I have several hundred model kits. Well over a thousand other toy cars. And several thousand books, magazines, and sales brochures (mainly on cars). DVDs? I don't know. But a lot. "Moderation"? I've never heard of the word.

Scott

Bill W. is my friend. ;)

A weird side effect; the smell coming through my skin. It has happened before, but with this crazy amount of garlic, the smell is like cutting fluid (oil) that we use when threading gas pipe. It's a stinky industrial smell. So bizarre.

Reminds me of an old uncle of mine who wore cologne that smelled just like whiskey! :D