Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 Volare Messenger Car - Finally Finished!

Tom Geiger

IMG_1766Copy-vi.jpg

Finally finished, this 25 year project! The saga started back when I was friends with Joe Cavorley and became interested in how he weathered his models. I bought a Poly S weathering kit, and grabbed a junk Volare body (they were expendable in those days!) and had at it. And this was the result. I brought it to our next club meeting and was encouraged to build a model around it. So started this project, using the very first thing I attempted to weather! So this is the grand daddy of all the worn and weathered cars I've built in my modeling career.

All in all, the weathering isn't all that great. The first thing Joe told me was I needed to dab my weathering rather than brush it since real cars don't have those front to back brush strokes! So this car was a good learning spring board. I keep my unfinished projects in boxes on shelves right above my work bench so I cannot forget about them. So every couple of years it got pulled down and worked on a bit. There were times that I got one more step done, and there were times I just screwed something up and put it back in the box. It is on it's second chassis from my failed attempt at putting a full detail front end under it. Live and learn.

IMG_1761Copy-vi.jpg

Lettering is from before the era of easy computer graphics. Those are rub on letters. The company name "Better Letter" was the logo on the top of the lettering sheets. That just kind of worked out.

IMG_1769Copy-vi.jpg

The slant six engine came out of the Lindberg '64 Dodge kit. In my opinion, this is the nicest slant six ever done in 1/25 scale. I had started the engine years ago, but didn't get past the assembly not fitting correctly into the chassis. I overcame that with the last sitting and then decided to see how far I could detail out the engine bay, just for the sake of learning. I added the hood latch and all the detail of the latch assembly etc that would be visible through the missing grille.

IMG_1764Copy-vi.jpg

Rear view has a pad locked trunk, we'd see a lot of vehicles that way in the city. There's a missing lens and I made bulbs in there too. The license plates were early computer graphics made by a friend way back in the 1990s so I used them on the final build.

IMG_1755-vi.jpg

The interior was worked on during the last few times I had this on the bench. I did the final detailing and glued everything into place this sitting.

IMG_1753-vi.jpg

And the chassis is the basic unit that was under the kit. I had carved out the molded in drive shaft and molded in a hump. That was necessary since I changed the engine / trans unit. I also had to make the exhaust system using a duel exhaust from the AMT 71 Duster kit. Each piece was cut and put together with bits of straight pin, the same way you'd assemble a 1:1 exhaust. I decided to not mess with the front suspension, since I failed at that once, and in the name of getting this project onto the shelf once and for all.

This was my Christmas Model Car Amnesty Build for this year, and once again I did finish what I planned to do. Last year I finished the Dodge A100 van, the year before my '34 Ford rat rod, all projects older than dirt. So it's great to get these out of boxes and on display. And it has me eyeing those boxes, to see what I pull down next!

Incredible detail Tom!!! Was that a new Volare when you started 25 years ago???

Al, it was a 13 year old junker that Todd had given me. I think he had built it when he was a kid. Back then you could find a Volare kit at shows for $5-10. I did that several times as well!