Model Cars Magazine Forum

America's Most Beautiful Roadster of 2015...

Not all hot rods appeal to everyone equally, and in the absence of real originality and outstanding design, quality of workmanship is often the factor that determines a winner.

Originally known as The Oakland Roadster Show more than 60 years back, the Grand National Roadster Show has given the overall winner's title "America's Most Beautiful Roadster" to some incredible cars, and some so-sos.

This year's winner also instantly made me think "topless California kid", and looks nice, but doesn't do much for me in the "wow" area.

The Ardun-headded V8-60 powered '27 track-nose car of a few years back is, to me, the high point of recent winners, and is the epitome of what the AMBR title meant in the early years. Problem is, once it's all been done 100 dozen times, it's really tough to be original.

most_beautiful_roadster_2013.jpg

This is beautiful .

None of those were particularly inspired but the black 27 W-409 posted, the pewter-goldish 32 truck, and the gold 27 with the Hilborn hemi were all better choices than the winner to me. The winner doesn't stand out or have any degree of special styling, it looks like totally off the shelf parts painted and assembled. Its got no personality.

it's a conflict to me. on one hand i can appreciate the thoughtfulness and details that go into building all "styles" in the same manner i can understand tuner enthusiasts and model T fiends: we're all car guys at base level.

but about half of the cars shown, including the winner, are just too contemporary for my inner gow-job.

The very essence of hot rodding is driving them...

The First AMBR winner from 1950 was Bill Niekamp's blue track-nose roadster. This is it restored.

1929-Ford-A-roadster-Bill-Niekamp.jpg

And this is it as it appeared on the dry lakes shortly after it was built. Not a trailer-queen, but a real, go-fast hot-rod.

Bill-niekamp-roadster-dry-lake.jpg

Dick Williams won with this little T in '53...with an early use of "chrome reverse" wheels...

53AMBR1c_zpsd9b1d044.jpg

George Barris' Ala Kart won in both '58 and '59. A full-on showcar, it had heavy detailing even underneath.

Alakart.jpg

The 1963 winner was Tex Smith's XR6, built as a Hot Rod Magazine project car to explore new ideas on the traditional proportions. Powered by a Chrysler slant-6 with Weber carbs, with VW Bug independent front suspension and an early 4-link rear end setup, it had an all hand-formed body too. It was also driven extensively.

1926-Ford-T-Roadster-XR-6-Tex-Smith.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I am as big of a hot rod lover as there is.If you really want to know I love them all because they define the word "HOT ROD " from different angles of that word.As that's said how could you notl ove them all .-really.That's what's cool about hot rod's -it's not one style or another that makes it a hot rod-it's thecar itself.You can't take that kind of car and not love them all .. Let's get real here !!!

p.s. My favorites are the first two-lol

Edited by PARTSMARTY

maybe there is more to that car in person but from the pictures all it looks like to me is another rich man over billeted over done tasteless waste of money. and that paint job sucks. beautiful roadsters just aren't what they used to be evidently.

jb

attachicon.gifAMBR33.jpg

The edge of the flames meeting the edge of the fender at a more or less perpendicular angle sticks out like a sore thumb. At this level of competition one would expect a better design solution.

That doesn't bother me as much as the lack of shading

I do like the layout of the flames though

Bill i like the drawing you posted just no flames for me.

I just put it up in keeping with the black /flamed '34 theme of the winner. I think a fenderless car is more pure "hot-rod" and the flame treatment is quite different from what we've seen done over and over and over. A well-proportioned Carson top could give it even more individuality, and add some classic lakes-style touches like a heavily louvered rolled rear pan.

Put a 3-carb '57 Olds J3 under the hood (or maybe a non-polished 4-71 blower on the Olds) and you'd be getting far away from just another cookie-cutter expensive car. It would also be fast, drivable, and reliable as a brick.