Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mercedes 300SL Announced, new pics added to OP

martinfan5

Looks to be the same as the Italeri kit.

Nope - definitely not the Italeri 1/24th. That kit did not have opening doors. The Heller and AMT versions had opening doors. The Heller version had wheels with vent holes too close to the hub just like the one in the pic. The Heller also had a front clip you had to attach (2 piece body as described). My money is on the 1/24th Heller.

Nope - definitely not the Italeri 1/24th. That kit did not have opening doors. The Heller and AMT versions had opening doors. The Heller version had wheels with vent holes too close to the hub just like the one in the pic. The Heller also had a front clip you had to attach (2 piece body as described). My money is on the 1/24th Heller.

And I thought this kit was based off a new tooling.

And I thought this kit was based off a new tooling.

Maxx - sorry, the Tamiya kit is all new. The old Revell Germany that was posted is (I think) the old Heller version.

Ok good. I was getting worried there for a second.

No worries Maxx...you will like this kit a lot. Be forewarned - the tolerance between panels (hood and doors) is REALLY precise. Make sure you consider paint thickness when you are doing paint prep.

No worries Maxx...you will like this kit a lot. Be forewarned - the tolerance between panels (hood and doors) is REALLY precise. Make sure you consider paint thickness when you are doing paint prep.

I have two of them on hand already. I'm doing one as the Tim Flock car, and the other will be done up as one of the two that my cousin used to own. The first one was a silver Gullwing with blue interior. He owned the car sometime in the late '60s, and has since sold it. The second car was a red one. Not sure about the interior color. I'd have to ask him. That car was also sold some time ago. Hope I can get photos of those two cars.

Looks to be the same as the Italeri kit.

I have both Italeri gull wing and convertible 300 SL in 1/16. I have also the convertible in 1/24. Judging the 1/24 and 1/16 convertibles shows that the 1/24 version is a faithful down scaling of the bigger brother. Since you cannot down scale everything below a certain minimum when it comes to casting, you see notciable degradation of accuracy in the 1/24 version compared to the 1/16 (which is beautiful by the way). I guess Italeri did the same with the gull wing kits deriving the 1/24 out of the 1/16. Since I built the 1/24 convertible already, I can assure it has nothing to do with the Revell version. Frankly, I cannot remember if my collection includes the Heller/Airfix version. Digging for a kit in my messy, half finished attic is an adventure in itself, especially when three little monkies follow my steps. So I cannot confirm the similarities of Heller/Airfix with the Revell kit.

If you look closely, you'll see that Italeri based their Gullwing kits on the basic roadster kits. Their roadsters correctly reproduce the more pronounced fender shape, more angled eyebrows and larger grille, along with twin coils. These are inaccurate for the Gullwing. The Minicraft/Entex, etc. 1/16 is more complete and overall accurate with its space frame, but oddly lacks a firewall. (I think I may have mentioned this earlier, but that was many pages ago.)

Except for the too-sharp corners at the top of the windshield frame, the Italeri roadster/cabrio is probably the best 300 SL kit available.

Edited by sjordan2

It is, they are talking about the Italeri version of the car.

Yes, I meant the 1/24 Heller but incorrectly stated Italeri.

I have two of them on hand already. I'm doing one as the Tim Flock car, and the other will be done up as one of the two that my cousin used to own. The first one was a silver Gullwing with blue interior. He owned the car sometime in the late '60s, and has since sold it. The second car was a red one. Not sure about the interior color. I'd have to ask him. That car was also sold some time ago. Hope I can get photos of those two cars.

Where are you going to get or have you gotten the Flock decals already?

It does say "out of stock", but HLJ has a pic:

http://www.hlj.com/product/S27FP24176/Aut

I'll have to wait until my kit arrives, and check it out, but knowing Tamiya's attention to detail and their frequent inclusion of excellent metal-transfers and mesh for the grille, I suspect this set might not actually be worth the silly money Studio27 wants for it.

Edited by PowerPlant

It does say "out of stock", but HLJ has a pic:

http://www.hlj.com/product/S27FP24176/Aut

I'll have to wait until my kit arrives, and check it out, but knowing Tamiya's attention to detail and their frequent inclusion of excellent metal-transfers and mesh for the grille, I suspect this set might not actually be worth the silly money Studio27 wants for it.

Well I paid for the set I pre-ordered, so it was in stock on Thursday. The mesh for the grill is the same ole same ole "screen door" mesh that seems to come in everyones kits that has to be trimmed to fit. The metal transfers are 4 pieces if you don't count the 3 that make up the mirrors.

I guess value is in the eye if the beholder, $19 is certainly cheaper than the $174 Acu Stion wants for their multi-media detail up kit.

I meant no offense, and if I came across rude in any way, please forgive me... I was merely stating my opinion that, in comparison with some other companies, Studio27 PE sets are usually way overpriced for what they have to offer... For example, I recently purchased Hobby Design sets for the Revell Uhlenhaut Coupe - a much rougher, less detailed kit than the Tamiya 300SL, and the new SLS... Both sets feature two extensive PE sheets each, at almost half the price of most Studio27 offerings, including this one.

Again, this is just my two-cents - as they say, but judging by the sold-out status on HLJ after just one day on offer, many people disagree with me... ;)

Edited by PowerPlant

I meant no offense, and if I came across rude in any way, please forgive me... I was merely stating my opinion that, in comparison with some other companies, Studio27 PE sets are usually way overpriced for what they have to offer... For example, I recently purchased Hobby Design sets for the Revell Uhlenhaut Coupe - a much rougher, less detailed kit than the Tamiya 300SL, and the new SLS... Both sets feature two extensive PE sheets each, at almost half the price of most Studio27 offerings, including this one.

Again, this is just my two-cents - as they say, but judging by the sold-out status on HLJ after just one day on offer, many people disagree with me... ;)

Didn't seem rude, just offering my opinion. Hobby Design can do a lot of things cheaper since they're in China and don't bother with pesky things like copyright or in the past more or less directly copying other people's resin transkits.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Doplication XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

During a visit to the attic today I discovered that I have an Airfix/Heller 300 SL. It is a different kit than the Revell with a more detailed chassis but no open doors. I do not remember the Italeri 300 convertible, and as I said, never seen the gull wing, but somehow you feel Italeri finger prints there. It has separate front and rear clips. However, they do not affect the assembly of the kit. They can be attached before the body is mounted on the chassis. The revell kit has a primitive base plate which includes a front clip. This means it must be glued to the body in the very last step, i.e. after painting.

How to remove this?????

Edited by khier

During a visit to the attic today I discovered that I have an Airfix/Heller 300 SL. It is a different kit than the Revell with a more detailed chassis but no open doors. I do not remember the Italeri 300 convertible, and as I said, never seen the gull wing, but somehow you feel Italeri finger prints there. It has separate front and rear clips. However, they do not affect the assembly of the kit. They can be attached before the body is mounted on the chassis. The revell kit has a primitive base plate which includes a front clip. This means it must be glued to the body in the very last step, i.e. after painting.

The kits are compared in the photos. Right, Airfix, left; Revell, and in the center, the king.

post-6444-0-74280600-1430696783_thumb.gi

post-6444-0-81955100-1430696296_thumb.gi

post-6444-0-26932300-1430696627_thumb.gi

post-6444-0-59513500-1430696686_thumb.gi

post-6444-0-79903600-1430696343_thumb.gi

Edited by khier

I would assume the base plate replicates the 1:1 belly pan. The Tamiya kit belly pan is quite accurate, though it's molded in clear so you can see the space frame. I think they were always painted gray regardless of body color.

Edited by sjordan2