Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mercedes 300SL Announced, new pics added to OP

martinfan5

Hey Steve (VRM),

Last week I received your excellent decals for the 300SLR. Included were large Mercedes star emblems with an excellent chrome finish. There's been a lot of discussion about painting the hubcaps properly (here and on automotive forums), and I was thinking that maybe these decal stars with their chrome appearance would be perfect substitutes for metal transfer stickers, which have a hard time conforming to curved surfaces.

What do you think? I haven't tested the decals yet or checked their size, but are they thin enough to conform over the molded-in star for that perfect 3d look, or would the star have to be sanded off to place the decal? Also, are they the right size for the hubcaps? Will you include these in your 300SL decal set?

Thanks,

Bernard

Edited by BVC500

Most of those who ordered this kit should have received theirs by now. We're up to 22 pages on this thread, with over 22,000 views, and I wonder if anyone has started building it yet.

Edited by sjordan2

Any word on HRM's Rudge wheels?

Really hoping they're worth the wait

He had them on sale at NNL Mid-Atlantic. I didn't grab a set as I wanted other show attendees to have the opportunity. I should have a set to post shortly.

Edited by afx

Most of those who ordered this kit should have received theirs by now. We're up to 22 pages on this thread, with over 22,000 views, and I wonder if anyone has started building it yet.

Mine is currently in transit, I have seen probably close to a dozen built now .

Why arent you building yours ?

Edited by martinfan5

I've started it. All I've done is build the frame, prep some of the body work, fuel tank, and engine block. The parts fit is great. The mould seem lines weren't too bad. Cheers.

I'll put pics up Friday when I hopefully have some paint on it.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for the delay in posting the pictures of HRM's Rudge Wheels and Englebert Tires (tyres). They have been ready for awhile I just haven't had time to pick them up. I am told Strada Sports has several sets available. Excellent quality as usual from HRM.

DSCN2718-vi.jpg

DSCN2720-vi.jpg

Edited by afx

You have to love Harold at Historic Racing Miniatures. I just got off the phone with him. Spent about 30 minutes with him and he is great to chat with. The man knows his stuff! Ordered two sets. Should have them soon. Thanks Harold

How does one order from him, or can you order direct from him ?

I think you might call that phone number on the package pictured above. that's what I am going to do, tomorrow morning.

jb

Yes, you call him directly. Remember, he is in Maryland so time it accordingly. Also, you have to mail him a check. He is a bit old fashion and doesn't do PayPal or credit card. But his craftsmanship is superb and worth the extra effort.

Edited by Pete J.

You have to love Harold at Historic Racing Miniatures. I just got off the phone with him. Spent about 30 minutes with him and he is great to chat with. The man knows his stuff! Ordered two sets. Should have them soon. Thanks Harold

He's one of the best.

currently he does not seem to be answering his phone and his voicemail box is full.

jb

Probably trying to get all of the rest of our orders out who have bombarded him in the last couple of days. :D

Edited by Pete J.

just got through to him and yep that's exactly what he is trying to do.

like I told him, if there is anything worse than failure, sometimes its success!

great guy to deal with, am sending a check tomorrow for two sets

jb

Yes, you call him directly. Remember, he is in Maryland so time it accordingly. Also, you have to mail him a check. He is a bit old fashion and doesn't do PayPal or credit card. But his craftsmanship is superb and worth the extra effort.

Thank you Pete