Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Beetle.... Custom WIP !

Lowlife ! !

Thanks again guys, bit more done on the chassis..... :) ..... The front bumper was extended underneath to hide the rad etc, rear end of the chassis is part 350z and part scratch built in plastic. The front and rear parts are part of the bodywork, and the rest of the chassis now slides in ! Still needs rear inner arches but it fits the wheels front and back with a tiny gap for suspension ! The rear end is also 350z , which was bent and I snapped it straightening it out .... :angry: .....So you can just see in the pics I inserted a metal rod through the rear end, for strength and to keep it straight. Wheels have discs and calipers now too, engine is together and the front suspensions coming along......More Soon..... Lowlife ! !

006_zpsf0ae1a85.jpg

002_zpsc85550a8.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Nice work Martin.

Good to hear you'll be using that 350Z engine. This will be awesome. With the engine fitted will you need to cut the bonnet? And I guess the interior is going to sit a lot further back. More scratch building work for you.

Thanks, yes the engine is quite set back but does fit under the bugs bonnet (hood??) Made the engine, ive changed the induction pipes as they didn't fit, and its painted ! Colour is plasti-kote Lavender for the engine and Tamiya lavender for the chassis, these are the colours im using for the rest of the car too. The first engine pic looks pink.... :huh: ...., after a couple more pics I got a true colour in the second pic... Funny how different two shades of lavender can be eh? ....

More soon, thanks for looking in and as usual comments and suggestions etc gladly accepted ....... :) .....Lowlife ! !

007_zps34e29c41.jpg

color002_zpsb4e741c7.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Thanks, thought id get you up to date with this one, front suspension first... As I said I wanted this as low as possible, so I used 1mm plastic to hold up the chassis and built the suspension around it ! The spindles were scratchbuilt, coils cut, and I had to trim a little of the tyre edges to fit...... ;) ...... They are made to turn slightly too, so when the body fits on the wheels can settle in. Cant see much of the details but heres pics.......

aa002_zps1959112b.jpg

aa001_zpsd424f6c7.jpg

Next up was the rear end... Now I thought id try something different here, seeing as the rear suspension is more visible, so I thought id scratchbuild it. I wanted hydraulics, so I devised a swing arm system with a triangle kind of 2 bar support, !! In real life it might work, it might not, but I enjoy this kind of thing so if it looks cool that's fine with me ! I remade the axle with metal tubing too so it didn't break again, added the prop, and wired up the hydraulic lines..... Heres some pics, hope it makes sense now....... :)

aa003_zpsc5ae25ab.jpg

003_zpseaca3d6e.jpg

007_zpsd7ceed8b.jpg

003_zpsf946888e.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !

Thanks guys, hey Rob I love cars `layin frame` too, but this is 1mm off the floor ! !

And thanks for the suggestion Rich, yeah been thinking I might blend in the top and bottom of the foglight hole, leaving slits as indicators maybe ?? Not sure yet, thought id get it on wheels, then go back to the bodywork ! More soon.... Lowlife ! !

Hey Martin, what a great build. Love the idea of taking an ugly vehicle and making it better. I got a few I wouldn't mind trying this with. Thanks to you, this kit being one of them now. I do agree with Rich tho, you should shave them fog lights. They're taking away from the nice headlight work you did. Other then that it's one bitchin build, look forward to more. Keep it up.

Thanks again guys, and Jason I would be interested to see what you could do with a bug, your 49 merc is amazing....... ;) .... !

I was in my local hobby shop once ( in the UK, so they don't sell many cars, mainly just Tamiya sports cars. ) and couldn't find anything I wanted, and I saw this bug. It was so far away from anything id normally buy, that it just seemed a cool challenge to build it ! Once home I nearly regretted getting it, I considered a pro street version, a lowrider, a sled, even a gasser, but it went back into the box till I could decide.

Its fun now, though I still hate bodywork, but at least I will (hopefully..) be a little better with the filler after this things built...... :D .....

Thanks for taking the time to comment on this build, like most people say it does inspire the builder to get back to the modelling desk and get a bit more done.

Talking of which I will post pics of it in primer soon, just need to find my filler, I threw it somewhere..... :unsure: .....

More soon........ Lowlife ! !

Thanks again guys, and Jason I would be interested to see what you could do with a bug, your 49 merc is amazing....... ;) .... !

I was in my local hobby shop once ( in the UK, so they don't sell many cars, mainly just Tamiya sports cars. ) and couldn't find anything I wanted, and I saw this bug. It was so far away from anything id normally buy, that it just seemed a cool challenge to build it ! Once home I nearly regretted getting it, I considered a pro street version, a lowrider, a sled, even a gasser, but it went back into the box till I could decide.

Its fun now, though I still hate bodywork, but at least I will (hopefully..) be a little better with the filler after this things built...... :D .....

Thanks for taking the time to comment on this build, like most people say it does inspire the builder to get back to the modelling desk and get a bit more done.

Talking of which I will post pics of it in primer soon, just need to find my filler, I threw it somewhere..... :unsure: .....

More soon........ Lowlife ! !

Haha thanks man but I'm not sure I woulda even attempted the bumper mod. I'm liking the way you did the floors and sqeezed the suspension and motor right in there...and those wheels were the perfect fit for those big wheel openings. I think you chose the right direction my friend. i always appreciate it when people take the time to read through my stuff and comment so I feel the least I can do is respond back. I know it inspires me to get back to the bench. Good luck with that body filler...haha...you'll get the hang of it. Looking forward to more of the build.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry its been awhile with any updates, and thanks again for the comments...... With the bug now on a rolling chassis im getting back to the bodywork, a primer coat showed how much more I need to do....( Also with the rain and snow I cant even paint primer...) So as soon as I feel there`s something to show you all I will be back ! ! Started another project too based on a 409 Chevy, might post that up soon.......Thanks guys..... Lowlife ! !