Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bentley blower

Harry P.

If this model looks vaguely familiar, John Teresi posted his version here some time ago, and it was also featured in the magazine.

My version isn't quite up to the level that John's model is, but here it is anyway. Many changes made... all gas tank surface detail sanded off and new straps, mesh stone guards, and fuel lines/valves made from scratch, scratchbuilt stone guards over the headlights, and scratchbuilt stone guard on the cowl, real mesh added to grille, scratchbuilt map lights on dash, wrapped springs, scratchbuilt tonneau cover with snaps, radiator shell painted with Spaz Stix, seat cushions heated over a candle flame and pushed down to look "used," brake rods added, hood hold-down straps and hardware scratchbuilt, rear reflectors scratchbuilt, etc....

Let's just say I added a lot of stuff that wasn't in the box.

bentley3_zpsb8cd643a.jpg

bentley2_zpsad1d7106.jpg

bentley6_zps8dce4be4.jpg

bentley7_zpsa20dd515.jpg

bentley1_zpsf758631a.jpg

Nice work. How did you do the starps for the hood.

They are made of strips of thick paper, painted brown. The "buckles" are thin silver wire, the brackets on the hood are made of thin sheet aluminum (actually they were cut from a pie pan!)... the "bolts" holding them to the hood are pin heads, and the attachment brackets on the frame rails are scratchbuilt of styrene and wire.

Those brackets that the hood straps attach to were mounted to the frame rails on the real car, but to make removing the hood easier (and without having to actually undo the paper straps), I glued those brackets to the bottom of the hood instead of the frame rails. When the hood is in place it looks like the brackets are attached to the frame rails, but because they are actually attached to the hood, I can remove the hood and the straps all in one assembly without having to actually undo the straps.

I thought you'd been very quiet lately and now I see what you've been up to.

Nailed it.

Yeah, this is the one I had almost finished a long time ago, and then dropped onto a ceramic tile floor. The floor won. Lots of broken parts, lots of rebuilding. And then I put it aside because the chrome on the grille shell was messed up and I didn't want to go through the hassle of sending it out to be replated.

Then I got that can of Spaz Stix for my Mercedes wheels, and it worked so well that I pulled this out of mothballs and finally finished it,

My-oh-my, that is fantastic. Another gorgeous model from your workbench, Harry. I really admire your work. You must have a good working knowledge of the autos of this era. Are they something you've always liked?

Yeah, I've always liked the old cars. I guess because they are just so "honest"... all mechanical, everything visible, and a lot of opportunity for detailing, which is the part of model building I like the best... adding the little details.