Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bentley blower

Harry P.

This is absolutely my kind of car!!! ....and the huge Airfix 1/12 box stares at me from the shelf

Not ready to start it yet for both time and skill reservations and b/c it deserves to be done properly.... as Harry has done again with this one

You were very quiet about this repair effort. What is on the agenda for your next build??

I have a Revival 1/20 Bugatti type 35 coming along from Italy..that is one of my dream cars

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Harry...can't wait to see what you do with that Entex '37 Packard. I've always been intrigued by that kit. But after building the Entex Mustang II fastback back in '75 or so (this build commissioned by AMT for me to build, for use at their upcoming sales reps meeting where they were going to introduce their own lineup of 1/16th scalemodel kits) , it was such a horrible kit that I never wanted to buy the Packard.

Based on what you've done with your other large scale classic builds...I am sure you'll turn out a spectacular model. Like I said, can't wait to see what you do for it). TIM

(PS - yes I am among those that mourn the fact that JoHan's announced plans to do a 1930's Package in their Gold Cup kit series around 1968 or so, never materialized. And yes, I do have the Monogram Classics Packard Roadster kit set aside in my "might build" kit stack....TB

Edited by tim boyd

Harry...can't wait to see what you do with that Entex '37 Packard. I've always been intrigued by that kit. But after building the Entex Mustang II fastback back in '75 or so (this build commissioned by AMT for me to build, for use at their upcoming sales reps meeting where they were going to introduce their own lineup of 1/16th scalemodel kits) , it was such a horrible kit that I never wanted to buy the Packard.

Based on what you've done with your other large scale classic builds...I am sure you'll turn out a spectacular model. Like I said, can't wait to see what you do for it). TIM

(PS - yes I am among those that mourn the fact that JoHan's announced plans to do a 1930's Package in their Gold Cup kit series around 1968 or so, never materialized. And yes, I do have the Monogram Classics Packard Roadster kit set aside in my "might build" kit stack....TB

Jo-Han's original 1/25 Gold Cup Mercedes 500K hardtop roadster limousine (coupe) is outstanding (the later issue is loaded with flash and poor chrome). Edited by sjordan2

Jo-Han's original 1/25 Gold Cup Mercedes 500K hardtop roadster limousine (coupe) is outstanding (the later issue is loaded with flash and poor chrome).

Just to add to that last post. the instruction sheet says they had access to the original car and took meticulous measurements. That's evident in the kit. Here's the kit, and I can provide excellent reference if you want it.

Beautiful kit, molded in accurate maroon:

500kjo-hangoldcup.jpg

Poor reissue with lots of flash and bad chrome, molded in red:

Mercedes500K_JoHanGC1135_70s-1.jpg

Edited by sjordan2

Just to add to that last post. the instruction sheet says they had access to the original car and took meticulous measurements. That's evident in the kit. Here's the kit, and I can provide excellent reference if you want it.

Beautiful kit, molded in accurate maroon:

500kjo-hangoldcup.jpg

Poor reissue with lots of flash and bad chrome, molded in red:

Mercedes500K_JoHanGC1135_70s-1.jpg

I built this kit, from the red/maroon box art directly above, and it was outstanding - no flash or any other issues that I recall. But mine was purchased and built around 1974 or 75, before JoHan's quality started to slip. Mine was also molded in a deep burgundy plastic color, very similar to the illustration, rather than the red of Skip's purchase. So if you are considering buying the kit in the version directly above, I'd recommend a close inspection of the kit contents so you don't find the problems in the version that Skip found in his....TIM

Edited by tim boyd