Model Cars Magazine Forum

Probably more liked in Europe, then the US, the vintage tin I mean, but what's your favorite Cadillac?

In my opinion, all though I'm from Sweden and we probably have 90% of all Caddys made, they took well over 100 years to make a beautiful car. The CTS-V. The later the prettier.

I mean, comparing their abominations to the creations of other makers throughout the years, Ford, Dodge, Chevy, even the Japanese from 60's and forth...

I personally have a nice memory of the 62 Coupe de Ville, it was white, with light blue interior.

That was about the last year that Cadillac caught my eye, until recently.

The 50's were maybe for me the favorites. Early 60's too. I think if I was to build a regular type car model, it would be a Modelhaus Cadillac mid 50's. I would love to own one, like this for instance;

post-13335-0-70410000-1424460715_thumb.j

I think it's pretty outrageous for the time, the lady was too.

Michael

I really am not impressed by these big old boats. I say this having grown up in the era in which they were produced. Cadillac of this era were what some of my friends dads bought and drove, as well as what others bought as a symbol of success and comfort and ease of ride. That being said, I bought my favorite Cadillac in 2002 when I purchase my 2002 CTS. That car was sporty and quick plus had the quality of a Cadillac.

Very difficult question. I like almost every Cadillac built between '48 and 1976, and many post 1976 also, like the doomed Alantee. But starting from the '90s Cadillac design started to fade and loose its brilliance.

I have to go along with you on this one. Tough to beat any Caddy built between 1948 and 1976. Pre-war, I like 2nd generation V-16s, and any Cadillac (or anyother GM car for that matter) built in 1941. But, between '48 and '76, there are so many good ones to choose from. The '48 and '49 Sedanet. 1954, '55, or '56. I like '58s, but I'm not hot on the '57s. The '59 Cadillac is the only case in GM where I like the '59s better than the '60s. I like the even year Caddys through the 60's, plus the '67s. The '70s? Every year through '76. The only weak year there is '74. Rear drive Caddys from that point on are okay. Some better than others.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

In my opinion, all though I'm from Sweden and we probably have 90% of all Caddys made, they took well over 100 years to make a beautiful car. The CTS-V. The later the prettier.

I mean, comparing their abominations to the creations of other makers throughout the years, Ford, Dodge, Chevy, even the Japanese from 60's and forth...

Well Robin, That's all a matter of opinion & personal taste. Cadillac had some beautiful designs from the 30s through the 60s IMO. Later was not always better. This is not a Cadillac. It's an Oldsmobile with Cadillac badges. Stevefull-1989-Cadillac-Eldorado_4877_1_zpsf0

Well Robin, That's all a matter of opinion & personal taste. Cadillac had some beautiful designs from the 30s through the 60s IMO. Later was not always better. This is not a Cadillac. It's an Oldsmobile with Cadillac badges. Stevefull-1989-Cadillac-Eldorado_4877_1_zpsf0

That's ugly even if it really was an Oldsmobile. Any why wonder GM is in the shape it's in now? Designs like this are the reason there is no more Oldsmobile.

Scott

Just a theory but it seems like the American car industry did not realize the competition until it was to late 60s.

The Japanese flooded the world with reliable and fuel efficient cars while America was making 8 liter v8 engines

and cars the size of 3 Datsun Sunny`s. The industry seem to even have been beaten hard on its on soil before

they even considered scaling down. It also looks to me Cadillac did not understand luxury,this or Cadillac/GM

only planned to base they`re sales on in the US only. Bigger isnt always better.

Edited by om617

Just a theory but it seems like the American car industry did not realize the competition until it was to late 60s.

The Japanese flooded the world with reliable and fuel efficient cars while America was making 8 liter v8 engines

and cars the size of 3 Datsun Sunny`s. The industry seem to even have been beaten hard on its on soil before

they even considered scaling down. It also looks to me Cadillac did not understand luxury,this or Cadillac/GM

only planned to base they`re sales on in the US only. Bigger isnt always better.

True, bigger isn't always better, but this is Cadillac we're talking about. Can you imagine a mid size or compact version of a Rolls Royce? Luxury cars are supposed to be big, it comes with the territory. I guess it could be a little harder for someone not from the U.S. to understand, but this is the land of "Big"! or at least it was back in the 50s & 60s. You are correct as well about the foreign car companies catching the Americans asleep at the switch, but that had much more to do with the quality of the cars from the big three coupled with the fuel crunch of the 70s. I'll never believe it had anything to do with the styling of the foreign cars being more appealing. Even today, it's obvious that size rules in America. When fuel prices go up, compacts sell at a brisker pace. When gas drops, we're right back to pickups, SUVs & big sedans. Steve

Excuse all the grammar errors,what i meant is by 1970 GM and other should have realized somthing

needed to be done. Jaguar and Mercedes Benz was smaller cars and more fuel efficient,and the

lower weight also gave lot of performance for comparison. From 1970 to 1974 the size on Some

Cadillac ,or all full size cars was more or less ridiculous. (I do think some are cool today lol).

The era you refer to Cadillac was somthing of a status symbole,every head of state,kings and

dictators own Cadillacs,even the comunists in Russia. Our King where i`m from had several

Cadillac and Lincoln. Yeah you are right,it was a completely diffrent planet for a long time.

I would say Rolls Royce is more fair to compare to the Mercedes Benz 600 "grosser",as for

price and build quality,even if it`s just an old farm tractor under the skin :D

Cadillac did see the future coming in the in 1970's. Hence, the Seville. What one needs to understand is GM, Ford, and Chrysler, were building the right cars back in the early 70's. Look at the sales of American cars right up though the 1973 model year. Big cars sold. Chevrolet, Ford, and Plymouth sold a lot of Impalas/Caprices, LTDs, and Furys before 1974. Buick had their best year up until that point in 1973. The number one selling luxury car in the world at that time was the Cadillac DeVille. Cadillac was recording record sales too in '73.

At the same time, even before the fuel crisis of 1974, GM saw the handwriting on the wall, and started designing smaller fullsize cars for the future. The downsizing of GM's fullsize cars in 1977 were not just a response to the fuel crisis. GM's timing was right. And despite my opinion of them, they too were big hits. And I did and do like them. Just not as much as the cars before them. They were good cars. Right for the time. But, I missed things like the hardtop body styles.

American automobile manufacturers were building the right cars up until the Israeli-Arab war in the fall of '73. Japanesse cars had been showing upward sales, even before that. But, nothing like they'd show once fuel got tight. Then Americans not only found the Japansse cars to be more fuel efficient, but better built besides.

Still like a lot of Americans, I like big American cars. CAFE regulations have made them impossible to be built anymore. So what have American drivers turned to? Big American trucks. To the point that even Cadillac has had to offer them in recent years. Interesting, a friend of mine has 13 year old twin girls. They go to the new car show with us every year now. And what do they want to own more than anyother vehicle out there? A Cadillac Escalade.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

It was pretty hard to tell the difference between a Buick, an Olds, A Caddy or whatever after the mid 80s. As far as I'm concerned, they all look like colorless jelly beans today also. But, as I said, just my opinion. Steve

I agree with you Steve....I hate the fact that most cars look the same anymore...where is the class...its been substituted with high tech. Funny thing is some of the larger cars got good mpg if tuned right...if it has more than enough power to pull it around it runs less hard and there for eats less fuel as far as the V-8s and V-6s are considered. My old beefed up Trans Am I owned got about 20 mpg on the highway at cruising speeds and burnt the tailpipes chalk white.

My dads pride and joy is a '64 Sedan DeVille, has got a 10 year restoration and won many prizes including a week trip to Turkey!

Then he's got a '91 Hearse and a '77 Eldorado.

My dad's the Cadillac lover, I'm a Chevy guy. :)

My favourite Cadillac's are the:

#1 '64 Coupe DeVille, airride, light paintjob, Sumpreme rims

#2 '78-88 Fleetwood, Fleetwood Hearses, Fleetwood Limo's but no 2 door..

#3 '60 Coupe DeVille same style as the '64 above

#4 '70 Sedan DeVille

#5 '75 Fleetwood

#6 '56 2 door, huge soft spot for these

all fullsize cadillac's that are rear wheel drive and have V8's

The 1955 Cadillac hearse... There's just something decidedly evil about it!

Hearse_zpswql4hdqc.jpg

And, decidedly......Chubby! :D There's a body shop here in town than has had one of those late 40s or early 50s Cadillac "Funeral Flower" cars sitting out front for several years. How cool of a custom would that make? A 1949 Cadillac pickup! Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller