Model Cars Magazine Forum

mpc Pontiac GTO

jacoballardtattoo

So I started this kit last week and I am wondering has anyone else built this one? I'm finding some slightly irritating aspects with it. It is fun and I'm doing some things with it that are making me proud but the molding leaves loads to be desired. I would love to know what others think and to see some pics of there builds.

I am having one problem though that is the most nagging, the kit allows two options, stock or built. I opted for built which provides a blown power plant and open headers/side pipes, well I have found that the headers will not fit in the chassis without needing to modify the front suspension. Has anyone else experienced this? What was your solution? I'm considering attempting to custom build some lower A arms, hubs, steering linkage... but not sure considering it will be the first time I have done it and as far as materials goes I'm working with what came in the box basically.

I welcome all responses, thank you in advance.

post-14997-0-72844000-1424062360.jpeg

Yes I have built that piece of..plastic

DSCF5495600x450_zpsfdf3c89b.jpg

DSCF5488600x450_zps7a0a4177.jpg

Built the engine,drivetrain Stock,.. had a heck of a time with flash and fitment on this kit.

Lowered the front considerably just by drilling new holes in the inner fender wells.

Head light buckets/front bumper needs alot of attention just to get it close (there is still a gap).

According to alot of folks on here and other sites the dimensions on this car are all wrong,..but

with a little patience it turns into a nice shelf model.

I laid down a nice coat of midnight blue and glossed it

It looks pretty good from your house duddnit? :lol:

Have fun with it

Cheers

It's it me or the kit? When I first started on this forum I got almost instant responses (meaning same day), this one only one response, it's this kit really that bad? (I truly don't think it's me in any way that pay is only a joke).

I am really hoping to get some thoughts from others who have worked with this kit and what they did. I have begun attempting to fabricate a complete new front suspension for the kit and am hoping someone else has done the same.

I think there are so many options available today for this kit, that not many people even bother with the kit's chassis; just snag another from your kit stash or check the "Trading Post" or other sources for a better chassis solution. The Revell '66 GTO is the first obvious choice, but look at the AMT and Lindberg '66/'67 Cutlasses, AMT,Revell,Lindberg '66/'67 Chevelles for example. Any of these and many others offer much nicer detail and realism. I've found them at swap meets for cheap, where the owner had other plans for the body; slammer build, or racing chassis swap, etc.

It's it me or the kit? When I first started on this forum I got almost instant responses (meaning same day), this one only one response, it's this kit really that bad?

Granted it's 40+ years old, but it's been reissued many, many times, and frankly, isn't a very good kit.

I believe other builders have swapped-in the much-more detailed chassis and suspension pieces from the 1/25 Revell 1966 Pontiac GTO kit with good results. I don't know if you'd still run into header-fit issues if you did swap-in the Revell chassis or not.

I do know that this MPC kit was molded from the earlier-released MPC 1966 GTO kit, and when the mold-altering into a 1967 was done, some aspects got overlooked. One, for example, is the there is PONTIAC lettering between the taillights on the rear panel, but that lettering is only correct for a 1:1, 1966 GTO; the lettering was removed from the 1:1's in 1967. Might suggest trying a search for MPC 1967 GTO models, and you might come across some other forum posts that shed some light on building this vintage kit... I know there has been some forum-talk about this one in the past.

This kit is really old. That's all there is to it.

It's basically a promo modified to be a kit. So, it is simple., especially with the chassis. A lot of the kits back then had exhaust molded to the chassis. If you look carefully. you will see where the funny car option is still showing inside the frame for a seat locator.

Not only the above is a factor, but this tool is part of the 1966-1972 GTO kit lineup. This means it has bee modified heavily over the years

It is a 1967.

I have heard that some builders have used the 67 olds chassis to replace the chassis in the 67 GTO kit.

I have parts to do this but that project is so far down on a list that is superseded by my wife's list that I don't know when I'll get to it.

Thank you for the responses, I'm going to chalk this one up to a bad purchase and try and have fun with coping out almost the full front end and seeing what I can pull off. I got the kit from Walmart about two weeks ago because I love the GTOs this is only my second build so in a way is a fun lesson.

I thought it was a horrible kit when I opened it and this verifies that. Lok

My personal favorite is the 69 judge, so I don't run into this same problem can anyone

suggest a good kit and place to get it from? I'm still extremely new to the hobby (on only my second build in over 20 years) and have the options of Walmart or Michaels for my kids at the moment. I leave in Arizona and the closest well known city to me is chandler.

although some are far better than others and they have some great subjects but all MPC kits are old tool reissue's so they are not going to be near the quality or ease of build of the newer stuff. The revell 69 goat is decent and builds ok even though it appear's a touch small to me, the MPC funny car version is cool but again detail and fit arent the greatest. There are some detail issues with a few of them but as a series the revell special edition kits build really well.

All that said I am sooooo happy they repoped a bunch of the vintage MPC funny cars

Edited by turbo nova

I just started back into the hobby about 2 years ago and my best finds are thru Kijiji here in Canada,....

I don't know what the similar U.S. Site would be, but people put up stuff for sale in your area.....you meet them and pay them directly.

Not eBay way too much $....

I've been buying case lots of AMT , MPC, Johnny lightning kits....10 models for 50 - 60 bucks....

Mostly unbuilts mostly older, mostly cra.... but it's the building that teaches.

Check your local flea / antique consignment shops.

Loads of stuff out there

Cheers

I'm working on one of these kits now, It's got to be one of the worst molded kits I've ever worked on. Some of the parts needed lots of clean up. Some I could not tell if I was trimming off the right stuff. Not a lot of parts to the kit and not a lot of detail on it.

Abe, if you decide to try and improve it please post your work here for me we can compare approach. I plan to do some serious mad scientist work on it and see what comes out of it.i think I did okay on the motor and I'm not done with it yet. I plan to work in a wiring harness put in some engine bay components... I am also working on new suspension up front maybe the steering box, shaft... I'm doing the lower cross member right now and new frame rails, I'm trying oven bake clay let's see if it will hold its size after baking and if it will adhere to the plastic I will post more pics when I have them.

• 9 months later...

I'm currently working on this kit. I bought it at Walmart and think this was the 3rd kit I bought since getting back into the hobby. I'm still a rookie and by no means anywhere near the experienced builder level. I'm totally disappointed with this purchase. I've built the 64 and that went together well and I've got an AMT '65 waiting in the wings.  I should've passed on this one. I pumped to build a nice muscle car and specifically bought the AMT red line tires for this kit. Decided I'm going to save those for a better kit!

I feel like the body detail is pretty solid and there was little flash or mold lines to deal with. Everything else may as well have been flash with model car parts that needed to be trimmed. I've gotta figure out what to do with the exhaust hanging so low. It looks silly. I'm also gonna have a heck of a time with the grill and headlight buckets sitting right. 

I built this to clear the bench while I wait for the purple pond to fix the paint jobs on my Impala and Thunderbird. I just wanted to build something in the mean time. Now I just wanna finish it, put it in the box and start something else. 

Here's where I'm at now! Just a mock up while I was waiting for the engine to set. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3cbe7b64ebf1d5d892d5ca8