Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pets, and model car building

khier

I noticed in many posted pictures that pets are available togethr with the models. This made me, a cats lover, to wonder whether there is a special relation between the hobby and loving pets. As a first step I wanted to investigate the matter in a statistical way. How many of you have already a pet? As for myself I always wanted to have a cat(s), but never had the courage to experience the moment when they pass away.

My wife and I have 6 cats, and 2 dogs. All of them are rescues. They are much more than just pets to us, they are members of our family. And when they pass away, it hurts, and we grieve for a time, but we have good memories of them to carry with us through life. And then another critter in need of a good home shows up dirty and half starved. I'm a softy when it comes to critters. :DB)

we have an almost 3 dog names Wilson and a cat named Lacey. both rescues. Wilson will be by my side most of the time, he only likes to go into the model room to rip up boxes or pull stuff out of the tras. so neither pet has really nothing to do with my modeling, unless he steals a part off the desk.

here you go guys, started this thread a while ago. it gets buried sometimes...

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84320&page=8

i have had always had animals in my life...as much as it hurts to lose them and can never be replace ,the heart is huge and has plenty of room to love another...my last dog was an english mastiff.. 225 lbs of pure mush...loved that dog almost as much as my kids.. lost him to cancer at 8 years...even now it chokes me up talking about him..there are some many stray animals that need someone to call their own.. take the leap and bring one home . you'll never regret it

that photo above my name it a pic of madison....15lb Chinese crested...almost hairless... my wife wanted her..i've always been a big dog guy ..but i am just as in love with this little girl as my last pup

Edited by BubbaJoe

I have a jack-chi and she is my best friend when I go in the car so does she and we have two cats that belong to my daughter we have had cats most of the time that we have been married (33 years) and they are nice you will enjoy them and there are lots of shelter dogs and cats that need a good home.

Vince

I'm with my 5th cat now. Playing with them, sleeping with them at my feet and listening to them purr has been a wonderful way to relieve stress. I've had to go through 2 deaths out of the 5 and it's hard at first. Then I get another cat and it's back to the fun. Also, owning a pet has been proven to extent your life.

I have two cats.. the fat Taby is Rebel she was hit by a car and crawled to my house, I took her in and nursed her back to health all the vets just wanted to put her down. 9 years later she still doing good but gained alot of weight. the dilute calico is Scarlet got her for Rebel to help her lose weight. did not help but she's got a buddy and very protective of scarlet. love them to death .

IMG_3869_zps9b9f6522.jpg

The replies confirm somewhat the connection between pets and model car building. However, still no explanation :)

My experience with stray animals are not positive at all.

Something like 10 years ago I tried to take after a litter of baby kittens, something like 10 days old. I firmly believed its hopeless for them to survive without their mom. So I kept them outdoor hoping she will show up sometime. Meanwhile I tried to feed them with MILK. As you may have guessed I did every possible mistake. They started to look better but shortly afterwards started to loose power. It was not easy at all to see how they became weaker with time. Each time i pushed a silent one to check for life they moved with great difficulty and lost the ability to make a sound almost completely. And each day one of the four did not respond. The drama took almost a week. At the end I lost all four.

I was scared to approach any kitten for a couple of years. After that I tried to take after stray kittens outdoor because I beilieve they belong to nature. However, nasty neighbours used to get rid of them behind my back. Seven years ago I decided to take whatever I find indoor, and release them when they are strong enough. I found a kitten about 6 weeks old, kept her for a while, but when it had to be released my nephews and nieces were as sad as if they watched the Titanic. She is living now with my 84 years-old mother and my 92 years-old aunt.

As for myself I always wanted to have a cat(s), but never had the courage to experience the moment when they pass away.

The hurt of a loss, is directly proportional to the affection enjoyed. To deprive yourself of that affection, is a loss unto itself.

Edited by Roadrunner

I don't believe there is any connection between being a model builder and loving your pets. Almost everyone I know has a pet, and the vast majority of them are not model builders. All of them have some type of hobby or another, but who doesn't?

I think it has nothing to do with being a modeler, and everything to do with just plain being human. :)

Our cat Lizzy always wants to see what's happening, nosy little cat. Anyways, I was in the process of hanging the doors on my Thunderbird, glued the brackets on the inside of the body in place, let it dry and put the doors in place. Cat comes along, looks at the model, looks at me and wipes it off of my bench, before looking at me with a smug face like "Whaddaya gonna do?".

Lesson learned: Keep the cat away from the workbench :)

I've never owned a cat but they seem to like me. The vet we used to take my dog to had a few pets roaming around the offices and waiting areas. One of their cats walked across the back of the couch, down my arm and settled in my lap. Chose me out of all the people sitting in the waiting room, so I pet her and she purred. My dog nearly freaked!

I've always had a dog since I was 12 and my mother got the first of a long line of Schnauzers in my family. My sister carried on with it and is on her third. My wife and I got a dog right after we bought our first house. An elderly neighbor died and we took in 3 year old Sandy. He was a long hair terrier type dog that looked like Sandy in the Annie movie, which had just come out back then. We had tumbleweeds of dog hair everywhere. I started building when he was still alive, and his involvement was to sleep on a pillow in the model room as I worked. I don't remember having a dog hair issue.

Once Sandy died, we went for six years without a dog. Then a friend of ours got a Cockapoo puppy and the next thing I knew, my wife went and got that dog's brother. That puppy was my Ted, smart as a whip and quite a personality. One of the good things about Cockapoos is that they don't shed at all, so I never had a dog hair issue with my models. He never wanted to hang in the model room so I think the smells of paint and glue bothered him. He lived to be 14 1/2 and we lost him this past fall. It's been quiet and not all that lively here with just two adults in the house. He is very missed!