Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many do you have going?

10-15 is my sweet spot. I like to start a bunch of projects and be distracted by others and only finish about 2 a year. My problem is finishing. When I get it roughed out, so it looks like my vision, I feel slightly satisfied and move on to the next idea. Im not saying that Im happy with this system, but thats the way it is.

I usually try to keep it at 1 or 2. One main project with another one on deck. I find that if I keep only one project going at a time, & just force myself to keep going on it, (sometimes I have to give myself a little "goose") I finish them. Otherwise I get sidetracked & never finish anything. Steve

Three;

A WWII German recon tank; over 2000 parts, so I need to take frequent breaks from it to preserve what remains of my sanity,

A 1:12 Bentley that keeps getting stalled by lack of specific ref' materials.

And a hyper detailed '39 Chevy pro-street, for which I have now built and discarded three frames and two sets of headers.

These three have actually been "on my bench" for over a year, during which time I have completed four other models (one at a time). So I guess you could say that I typically have four going at any one time.

Edited by Shardik

Normally I'll have one or two that are my main focus and about 10 or so (no real set number) that I'll tinker with now & then. And the ten change all the time depending on my mood. I may pull one out, work on it for five minutes, put it away and not touch it again for years.

Also, the closer one gets to completion, the less interested I am in anything else. I sort of zone in on that one.

Right now my main focus is a P40-B, but yesterday I played around with the BMF on a GTO, and started cleaning up the mold lines on a Fairlane. Today? Who knows. As long as I keep working, it's cool.

I have 5 on the go at this time. A 1970 Bud Moore Trans-Am mustang,MPC Mclaren Mk8d Can-am, NASCAR race truck in ReMax livery, Union/Heller 917k in Martini livery and a Union/Heller 917k in Gulf colours. I try to work on any two kits during my build time on my days off.

I've tried working on several models together but I found that process never really works efficiently for me. So I will usually work on one car through to completion. At the moment I'm polishing out a '58 Imperial. I was previously working on a '59 DeSoto but I ran into paint problems so it's taking a bath in the paint stripper tub at the moment. Many other cars are lined up behind them in the TO DO pile.