Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 56 Ford F-100-Now Under Glass-01/02

Thanks Carl and Greg!! Been sick for the last few days but am on the mend now. I'm getting all set for the IPMS show in Houston this weekend so progress will be a little slow until I get back as I'm prepping 3 builds to take up there.

Best of luck, Joe! I am entering my '67 Chevelle and a few others in a show up here on the 9th of May. It will be my first one, so probably the Chevelle, '62 Impala, 53 Ford NAStruck and the 67 Shelby... not sure yet.

Motor is looking great!!!

Tim

Good luck at the show and you just might find some cool kits while your there...

Thanks and that's just what I'm afraid of Carl. emotion-3.gif lol. Actually I am hoping to find a front disc brake kit for this thing while I'm there.

Edited by mustang1989

Morning Joe, sorry I haven't been over here in the truck area in a while, but I decided today to come over here and check out what was happening, and saw your post and just had to read through it. Nice choice on the project and it looks like it's really coming along. I will get in here more often now and try to keep up lol.

Thanks Ira, Tom and Jim!! I have actually been thinking about this kit through the years and am happy to take it on with todays skills and resources as well as things available now that weren't back then. All I can say is that this build has been a complete blast so far!!!

All I can say is that this build has been a complete blast so far!!!

Trucks are a different animal, but I love those old trucks. My '53 was challenging, but fun. I went outside of my comfort zone on that one... that comfort zone is expanding from one build from the next. Keep the pics and updates coming, Joe!

If Jim is watching, you know its a good build! :D

Tim

Tim and Randy: Thanks fellas!!! :D

Well I've been slackin' on progress pics of this thing. I had "modelers block" last week but have been working my way through it now for the last few days. I was trying to figure out the whole brake system dilemma and I think I've finally got something started here. I found a master cylinder / power brake booster combo that is going to work. The problem is that the bottom of the power brake booster was hollow as seen from the bottom but the benefit here is that instead of being rounded on the bottom , it's flat. This is perfect in the fact that I cut the master cylinder from the booster and will rotate the master cylinder 180 degrees in order to mount the flat portion of the brake booster to the bottom of the cab floor. I also cut an L bracket out from some spare parts of another frame and drilled a hole in it for the booster to "mount" to.

Perhaps I could explain it better in photos. Here's the brake booster/ master cylinder assy: (sorry for the blurred image on the first pic)

RSCN0136_zpshlf69iqe.jpg

Here is the brake booster and L bracket test fitted. I pinned the brake booster so that the master cylinder mount up to the booster would be a bit more solid. Looks like I'll be thinning that L bracket a bit to scale thickness as well.

RSCN0135_zpsnawhpju5.jpg

While keeping in mind that my results aren't going to look exactly like it, this is what I'm going for but with a slightly longer rod and another stand off L bracket for a brake booster actuating rod guide that's coming soon:

Brake%20pedal%20linkage_zpsgz7a6j3y.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Jim and Carl!! :D

I almost forgot to go through the front wheel to spindle fit problem I had. Here is the wheel as it sits on the kit supplied spindle-not exactly fitting here:

RSCN0139_zpsf3wkh7bc.jpg

So..........I got some 1/8" brass rod and cut about a 1/4" long section and slid it onto the spindles and cut and rounded the ends of the spindle:

DSCN0140_zpsv6lfrvy7.jpg

and although it looks rough here in the macro photo, you can't see anything but perfect fit with the naked eye:

RSCN0145_zpsocjphi2x.jpg

I sanded my L bracket for the power brake booster/master cylinder assy this morning and set that aside. While all that was drying I flattened some concave washers I found with rubber backing on them. After flattening the washers I sanded all of the rubber backing off of them and will polish them up over the weekend to give them that "brake rotor look". I robbed some brake rotors from a 1/24 scale Monogram F-100 kit , trimmed them to scale length a little and cut a groove in the middle of them with my dremel to get them to fit over the rotor. I still have to cut into the centers to get them to cover the brake rotor (washer) surface a little better but I ran out of time this morning. Gotta get to work you know. Here's where I'm at right now with that..............

RSCN0147_zpsdyxcsl6w.jpg