Model Cars Magazine Forum

just finished this '37 Ford coupe

cobramike

This was a basic PIA to finish. The instructions are all but worthless, the diagrams are at best poorly done, explanation of how the suspension is supposed to go together was wrong, not to mention parts were in the kit from old redo's of older models that if you try to use all the parts you will have one strange model.
Any rate, most of it was fun to work on despite it's and my failings!
20150306_114629_zpsbhcorzsn.jpg

Edited by cobramike

I had so many problems with the front suspension it was crazy, that is until I figured out that the parts that the instructions were not to be used for this model but some other similar one!

I removed the "B" pillars, and the stanchion on the rear window to make it a solid window not a split window! I should have removed the front one on the windshield as well! I think it makes a much cleaner appearance.

Edited by cobramike

Those pieces for an incomplete "traditional" front suspension where there from the 1st release in the late 80's. They weren't spelled out in the instructions back then, can't say if that has changed.

Funny thing is the kit had 2 sets of windows as well!
The rear suspension also was for 2 ways to build it, but it didn't say why or how!
Same with the wheels, there is no way on gods green earth that the wheels were going to stay on with the big rims, so they are all 5 minute epoxyed
another view from the pass, side.

http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/mybluesnake/media/cars/20150306_114512_zpskfbsnfe9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

Man you are so right about the instructions pertaining to the front suspension. Yours came out really nice .

Yeah, Cobraman, the suspension actually melted on the original attempt to build this, so I begged and borrowed and got nothing so I actually ended up buy a new kit and pretty much started over from scratch.

The extra parts I have now I am going to rebuild a new one on a Mustang chassis! That should be interesting!

Interesting colour combo, and it came out nice. Instructions supplied in the kits are merely suggestions I always thought.

Your right about them being a suggestion, but when you have all of the other pieces from the old kits as well as new ones it becomes very confusing since the i instructions only dealt with the old kits.

The color combo, I was looking at pics of 1:1 '37 hotrods done in todays hotrodding athmosphere, and there were allot of them that have 2 colors, dark and light. I saw one car that was chocolate brown, then another that was creme, I had to go with that combo. I actually printed out the pics and then I cut the prints and taped them back together with the different combs and this is what I came up with!

Thanks for the complement.

Nice in spite of the challenges. You overcame it all well. B)

Suggestion: Where your decals (flames) span the door lines, slice them with a very sharp Xacto blade and use a little decal setting solution to get the edges to snuggle down on the body and door edges. The end result will be 100% better than leaving the decals as-is. Once you try it, you'll never go back! ;)

Nice in spite of the challenges. You overcame it all well. B)

Suggestion: Where your decals (flames) span the door lines, slice them with a very sharp Xacto blade and use a little decal setting solution to get the edges to snuggle down on the body and door edges. The end result will be 100% better than leaving the decals as-is. Once you try it, you'll never go back! ;)

LOL, funny thing is I was going to do that exact thing, but somehow I clean forgot to do it. I have done it on my other models. Your right, it makes it more real!

thats so cool great work u have done there

Thanks, was some project, got to the point where all I wanted to do was finish it