Model Cars Magazine Forum

When did you ever see a stock '41 Willys coupe ?

While doing some errands yesterday spotted this Willys about a mile from where I live.

Stopped in as it was the first time I had ever seen it parked outside. I spoke with the owner and he mentioned it was one of ten that he knew of that was stock.

It was found in a barn in Maine intact but needing a restoraton. Paint and bodywork is about 20 years old,original seat and door panels need to be redone. I need to stop back and reshoot the interior pics. Original engine has been rebuilt, oil bath air filter converted to paper element for ease of maintenance.

41willys40FordCoupe010.jpg

41willys40FordCoupe009.jpg

41willys40FordCoupe008.jpg

41willys40FordCoupe007.jpg

41willys40FordCoupe004.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Was that still the same plant my XJ Cherokee was built in?

I could have been. they had two plants close to each other. I do not know witch plant made what by the time your XJ was built. It was the longest manufacturing plant still in operation when they closed it down for the new plant a few years back. It stared out as a bicycle plant before Willys purchased it. Mr Willys lived down the street from my brothers current house. I little side note Mr Willys did not drive, so they say around here.

I could have been. they had two plants close to each other. I do not know witch plant made what by the time your XJ was built. It was the longest manufacturing plant still in operation when they closed it down for the new plant a few years back. It stared out as a bicycle plant before Willys purchased it. Mr Willys lived down the street from my brothers current house. I little side note Mr Willys did not drive, so they say around here.

That should have been the same plant then, up until that plant went off line, the only modern Jeep that hadn't been built there was the Grand Cherokee, which us still being built in Michigan.

That should have been the same plant then, up until that plant went off line, the only modern Jeep that hadn't been built there was the Grand Cherokee, which us still being built in Michigan.

Jeep had two plants when your truck was built . They built your truck in both plants I am told. It was started in the old plant and finished in the Stickney road plant. The CJ5, CJ7 and the XJ were built in the oldest plant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_Complex This a good read Joe . This says the same things I have heard over the years from people that I know that worked there.