Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project Silk Purse,,,, The Corvan

Thanks for the comments everyone!

As I said in the last post, I found some waves in the body. I blocked the major surfaces with some 180 dry and found about 5 spots that needed to be addressed. Once I had them flat, I followed it up with some 320 wet and primed it to see how I'm doing. I don't think you can see it, but the body is recessed around the headlight bezels on the 1:1 so I started shaping them and the headlights fit pretty good.

P1060181aMedium_zps4462b25f.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

I think I've found a way to scribe the doors. First I made a huge mess trying to scribe the lines straight and smooth. I then worked off of this disaster and kept carving until I had a shape I could deal with. I then filled it all in with finishing putty and before it set completely, I scribed the lines again.

P1060182Medium_zps8b252527.jpg

This was followed up with some sanding and re-scribing.

P1060183Medium_zps73af5c14.jpg

I used .020 square rod to make a drip rail for the roof. I also was reminded of how much I hate working with Ca glue. I almost made it with one piece, but it was about a half inch to short. One of the front corners split, so seeing as the joint was going to be in the front anyway, I cut both sides.just behind the front doors to add the needed piece.

It's crazy how a little detail like this changes the whole look ( at least to me it does) of the van.

P1090192Medium_zps22d6dc9d.jpg

The corner closest in this pic split too. If I can't sand it round to follow the contour of the body, I'll cut it out and make a new section to fill in.

P1090193Medium_zps02c645d0.jpg

I started looking through the inventory for some donor door handles. I found a pair from a 56 Nomad that looked close enough. Here's my rig for making the mold.

P1070189Medium_zpsf201674f.jpg

P1070190Medium_zpsd15f1597.jpg

I've never tried to cast something so small, I hope I don't screw it up.

Outstanding Modeling! Great to see the transformation from a resin brick into a nice looking van. My earliest car memories are of our families Corvair Greenbrier.

When I was about 6yr old, while my dad was working under the rig in the drive. I crawled in under with him and he gave some odd ball wrench so I would feel like I was helping.

Well help I did! The wrench just happen to fit the oil pan bolts of which I had promptly removed all but one before dad discovered my mechanical skills.

The only thing keeping us from being drenched in motor oil was the gasket seal!

Any Nascar pit crew would have been proud at the speed those bolts made their way back in place, my dad was amazing...

B13083.jpg

IMG_1689-vi.jpg

On resin casting those door handles. I'd suggest burying a short length of straight pin on the button side to make it easier to install on the finished van. When I do door handles and mirrors this way, I glue them from the inside of the body so there is no danger of marring the exterior finish.

The above photo are manifolds that I drilled out and glued in the pins, but you have the opportunity to mold around a pin with resin. You'd only need one pin for a door handle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

David...is this project on the shelf? I was totally enjoying your work. Hope you bring it back!

It's on hold until it warms up a bit. My workbench is in the basement which isn't heated, but usually stays fairly worm. This year it's been fairly cool down there and I hate being cold. The good news is warm weather is in the 10 day forecast for my area, so I should be back on this soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...