Model Cars Magazine Forum

So why do you or we stash kits?

Parts , parts , and more parts ! Lol ! I do not collect , I build . Therefore , I always have to have plenty of parts to choose from and kit bashing is always the preferred choice .

As of late , I started consolidating similar kits to make room . It does get ridiculous at times , I have to admit !

Well for me,when I was younger I couldn't get a new kit untill I finished the one I had already.When I got older and started making my own money,I could get kits nearly whenever I wanted. Now I have close to 370 in the stash with intentions on building them all.bigtim.

because I'm immortal and will live long enough to build them all!

years ago I would stumble upon model kits for sale dirt cheap. if they were

musclecars, or decent 3 n 1 kits I would buy 'em up.

next thing you know, your filling up big boxes and stuffing them in the rafters.

quite honestly, after four decades the numbers just add up.

Im still a little fresh in the hobby, I built my first kit, bought another. 2nd is almost done, but since then ive got 3the more. For me it's just i see a model that interest me I can get it for when I get burned out/frustrated with current project. It's just some weird feeling when I see a kit I want, the gears start turning on what ilI plan ob doing with it.

How many times have you found yourself thinking "man, I wish I would have bought that kit when it was available! Now it's so expensive, I can't afford it!"

I buy kits as they are released and stash them to avoid that!

George, here is another way to look at why we stash our kits, with model kits, you never know how many times a kit is going to be issued, some get reissued for 40 plus years, so get one run and they are done, so if you want a kit, its best to buy it when its first issued, because you may not see it reissued again. Sure, most of the kits that have OOP for long periods of time can still be found online, but how much as the price gone up on that kit.

And if you are a builder of Japanese kits, they almost never reissue kits, so once they done, they are done, and once the supply runs out, good luck, and when you do, they are going to cost you.

So buying now ensures us we will have the kits that we want , and not have to take out a second mortgage on the house to buy that kit that we passed up years back

I used to belong to a club and would buy stuff I liked. Had a big collection that I also sold. I quit building for about 15 years but in the 6 or 7 years since I started back I've accumulated quite a few. I've got about 10 that I started and haven't finished (yet). I've bought some as an investment but I am TRYING to just get stuff I will build. I might need to spend less time looking at this site and get back to buildingGrin.gif. I paint outside and it may, FINALLY, be getting decent enough to paint soon.

stash kits ?? well , it's the American Way !!! I have only been doing this since March 5th , so far I think 30 kits and a bunch of tools , next a mini lathe and mini milling machine , but next week I start building serious and buy a few more kits ,, I blame this on you guys , I see a build , I want the car :unsure:

Well for me,when I was younger I couldn't get a new kit untill I finished the one I had already.When I got older and started making my own money,I could get kits nearly whenever I wanted. Now I have close to 370 in the stash with intentions on building them all.bigtim.

Almost Ditto.

I got a few more than 370..

But I dumped almost 300 kits back on the market.

I'll do this every year till I'm down to a few of my favs and projects..

By a few, I mean a few 100's.. ;)

George, here is another way to look at why we stash our kits, with model kits, you never know how many times a kit is going to be issued, some get reissued for 40 plus years, so get one run and they are done, so if you want a kit, its best to buy it when its first issued, because you may not see it reissued again. Sure, most of the kits that have OOP for long periods of time can still be found online, but how much as the price gone up on that kit.

And if you are a builder of Japanese kits, they almost never reissue kits, so once they done, they are done, and once the supply runs out, good luck, and when you do, they are going to cost you.

So buying now ensures us we will have the kits that we want , and not have to take out a second mortgage on the house to buy that kit that we passed up years back

I support that all the way.... ;)

I stack the kits around the walls of my workshop and it helps insulate and keep it nice and warm in there. :rolleyes:

I agree with the others. When I see a kit I want to build in the future I buy it now so I have it.

Edited by Rob McKee

People may have questioned why I bought a 1/2 dozen Revell '69 Dart kits when new, but it didn't take long for the molds to get updated to a '68. This ensured the desireability of '69's in the future, allowing me barter/buying power for MORE kits in the future!

I also buy new issues for the casting "freshness" of the molds. As for vintage kits, the few I have all been bought knowing they don't get cheaper so buck-up now or pay more later. Amazing how much a '68 annual MPC '68 Barracuda has appreciated over the last 15 yrs. if your into that.... I happen to have 7 complete kits, plus partials and builts. These I just hoard like a 401K deposit. If things get bad, at least a few will give a return. But for the most part, I'm just as delusional as the rest of you and honestly believe you'll live to 137 and build 'em all..... : o

I'm.with Jonathan on the Japanese kits. Some if their variations seem to follow a "One Run of Very Limited Fun" sales scheme. There are a pair of GT-R kits that Aoshima put out around Christmas that are already OOP and discontinued on a lot of the direct to US sales sites.

I have to prioritize my purchases that way since even a "common" kit has a run of around 10k compared with the 50k Revell run (and invariable bi-annual reissues).