Model Cars Magazine Forum

3d printed chassis

I think the work avoided in scratchbuilding a chassis is alone worth $25.75. Very cool.

Plus, they should be absolutely symmetrical, which is time consuming to get right in brass or styrene. All the joints should be pretty too.

Definitely worth the price.

Do you own the artwork, or are these available Shapeways-direct?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

not bad a coat of filler primer and a light sand should take care of it and they were 25.75 each

I figure that there is probably close to half that cost in the plastic tubing if you were to scratch build your own, not to mention the time involved and having a jig to keep everything square. I think this is a perfect example where the 3D printing fits into our hobby.

I am surprised at the price!! I am not into drag cars but I'll have a look and see what else is available from Shapeways. As has been said, it's more cost and time efficient than building the cage yourself from scratch.

Ive had this in my cart for the longest time but ive yet to get one as racecars isnt my thing but would look sick as a post apocalyptic monster. Only chassie i did was the chezoom replica ive been working on a sand rail frame for some time.

Hey Chuck:

Be sure and look at the video on our website on how to finish out this material. I say this because using the superglue method on these frames will help with strength. Here is a link to the page

https://sites.google.com/site/tdrhtmllearn/home/tdr-innovations-help-page/shapeways-wsf-material-info

Chassis really are one of the best areas for 3D printing. Chassis are tough to make by hand and very tough or impossible for manufacturers to injection mold. For 3D printing though it is just another part.

Keep an eye out as we intend to expand into this area of modeling.

Tim

TDRinnovations.com

Hey Chuck:

Be sure and look at the video on our website on how to finish out this material. I say this because using the superglue method on these frames will help with strength. Here is a link to the page

https://sites.google.com/site/tdrhtmllearn/home/tdr-innovations-help-page/shapeways-wsf-material-info

Chassis really are one of the best areas for 3D printing. Chassis are tough to make by hand and very tough or impossible for manufacturers to injection mold. For 3D printing though it is just another part.

Keep an eye out as we intend to expand into this area of modeling.

Tim

TDRinnovations.com

Thanks Tim that is good information about this material.