Model Cars Magazine Forum

"NEW" MPC Dukes of Hazzard kit not what you expected

Greg Myers

post-3387-0-92457200-1410110372_thumb.jpSome crappy cell phone pics through the plastic. I don't plan on buying this one just yet, so I didn't take it out of the baggies. Hopefully these are good enough to tide y'all over until someone can get some better pics. I couldn't get a good picture of it, but I like how the grille is broken down with separate black grille inserts.

post-3387-0-02457400-1410110381_thumb.jp

post-3387-0-21686800-1410110389_thumb.jp

post-3387-0-33571700-1410110400_thumb.jp

post-3387-0-42384800-1410110408_thumb.jp

post-3387-0-47100700-1410110416_thumb.jp

post-3387-0-49366500-1410110427_thumb.jp

Edited by Brett Barrow

For anybody questioning if this kit will be a big seller, I'll offer this insight: My local Wal-mart started carrying a limited model kit selection again a couple years ago. For whatever reason, it seems like they must prefer to purchase from Hobbico (Revell/Monogram brands), because all but one model kit that they carry is lowest common denominator Revell/Monogram (stuff like the Shelby Cobra, 57 Chevy snap kit, etc. - basically guaranteed sellers). What is the only Round 2 kit that they carry? The old glue version of the MPC General Lee kit.

For Wal-mart to deal with a separate supplier so they can sell only that single kit tells me how much demand there must still be for a kit of the GL. This is backed up by Round 2 being willing to pony up for a brand new snap kit of this subject. They wouldn't be doing that if they weren't sure of a quick return on their investment.

I've seen a lot of the same kits at Walmart everytime I'm there. Same exact kits. I know this for sure because of some dip that spray painted all over the kits and shelves:/

That being said, at the show today, many of these sold:(

I can't see the interest in wanting a new kit of a subject that's still very common, and available for the fraction of the cost.

But they do:( Bunch of weirdos.

I've seen a lot of the same kits at Walmart everytime I'm there. Same exact kits. I know this for sure because of some dip that spray painted all over the kits and shelves:/

That being said, at the show today, many of these sold:(

Did you actually SEE who bought those kits?

I can't see the interest in wanting a new kit of a subject that's still very common, and available for the fraction of the cost.

But they do:( Bunch of weirdos.

Tell me something... How many of you here would've bought a full detail ( similar to Revell's '68/'69 ) 1970 Charger had RC2 kitted THIS instead of this useless snap GL kit? & how many would you have bought, just 1, 2? 5? 10?

If your answer is YES ( to purchasing a full detail '70 Charger ) then RC2 has failed with this kit, not only with just WHO actually supports this hobby, but who THEIR real target audience SHOULD be.

Tell me something... How many of you here would've bought a full detail ( similar to Revell's '68/'69 ) 1970 Charger had RC2 kitted THIS instead of this useless snap GL kit? & how many would you have bought, just 1, 2? 5? 10?

If your answer is YES ( to purchasing a full detail '70 Charger ) then RC2 has failed with this kit, not only with just WHO actually supports this hobby, but who THEIR real target audience SHOULD be.

Useless to whom? The members of this board - or beginning modelers who might actually WANT a snap together General Lee? Lets not overlook who actually pays the freight in this business. Sorry, but beginning and not-so-advanced modelers ("kitchen table modelers" as I call them affectionately) are the core of this business, they're the ones who support the hobby through just sheer numbers. The companies made a push toward the more advanced, more discriminating customer in the late 90's (remember Monogram ProModeler, the line which spawned the 68-69 Charger you mention?) and that market never materialized in a significant percentage of total sales. Maybe that's who you think they *should* be selling to, but like I said, it didn't pan out then and nothing's changed to indicate it would pan out now.

This kit is as close to a no-brainer as there is in this business. Snap kits sell well. General Lee sells well (best selling model car kit of all-time) . Snap General Lee? Why the @#% not? While I may criticize the execution, I do not for one second criticize the concept.

Edited by Brett Barrow

This kit is as close to a no-brainer as there is in this business. Snap kits sell well. General Lee sells well (best selling model car kit of all-time) . Snap General Lee? Why the @#% not? While I may criticize the execution, I do not for one second criticize the concept.

I have to agree with Brett completely, this kit should do very well for Round 2. This is the exact type of mass-market product that will pay for us to get the adult enthusiast type kits later. It not useless, it's what keeps them in business.

Look at it from another angle, do you think Chrysler would be able to sell Vipers and SRT Challengers if they weren't selling loads of Mini-vans and 200's too ?

Exactly guys, it's not like this kit has to be built as just the General and only and General Lee! My GL Snapper came in today and I will be buying it tonight. Not sure exactly how it will be built, but I have been contemplating building "Traveler" from John Schneider's friends and family made movie "Collier and Company, Hot Pursuit!" Since it would be a simple build (just leave off the GL decals)............plus it's a '69 Charger, shouldn't take much imagination to build something other than the GL. Personally, I'm wondering how many General Mayhem builds will spring from this model!

For those who have no clue what General Mayhem is........

roadkill-general-mayhem-1968-dodge-charg

mayhem.jpg

roadkill-general-mayhem-1968-dodge-charg

Edited by Joe Handley

Useless to whom? ...Snap kits sell well. General Lee sells well (best selling model car kit of all-time) . Snap General Lee? Why the @#% not? While I may criticize the execution, I do not for one second criticize the concept.

I have to agree with Brett completely, this kit should do very well for Round 2. This is the exact type of mass-market product that will pay for us to get the adult enthusiast type kits later. It not useless, it's what keeps them in business.

Look at it from another angle, do you think Chrysler would be able to sell Vipers and SRT Challengers if they weren't selling loads of Mini-vans and 200's too ?

with Joe, +4 here.

Got your Revell '68/'69 for the full-outs, the old MPC with corrected roof buttresses for the less ambitious projects, and now this snapper covers the wham-bam. I'll have one or a couple, funky wheels or no. Room for a '70? I wouldn't mind one, but as Steve said, there are worse ways than this to subsidize more serious new tooling in the future.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

You know, if Revell were to decide to finally tool up a '70, I would have it on order as soon as the part number hit our system at work. Didn't stope from buying this kit, and if Ro7nd 2 were to decide to make '68 and '70 Chargers or just other movie cars from this tool, I'd probably buy those too.