Model Cars Magazine Forum

model kit subscriptions

Looked like a good idea to me, not being able to afford a detailed kit like those offered. I could never find where they were offered here in the states.

The kits offered, mostly aircraft are truly unbelievable. :)

Bob, do you have any links?

Edited by Greg Myers

why would you want to subscribe to a series of unknown to you kits? I would much rather just buy what interested me as they came out. its not like they are exclusive or anything. (edit to add: plus you know the postage would kill you. there used to be a record "club" like this and you received a record each month that you were obliged to either buy (at list plus excessive postage "and handling" cost) or return, at your own cost for postage. turned out to be a major hassle and the records they sent rarely matched anyones interest. might turn out the same with a "model club" like that. just sayin'. end edit)

to the true topic of the thread though (wow that's 7 words beginning in "t" out of 8!): what I would worry about with these kits is whether the manufacturer is still going to be around when it comes to supplying all the parts. things could look rosy now with expectations of lots of sales but then they taper off and the company goes bankrupt. what then? you have a considerable investment sitting there that's going to require an awful lot of scratchbuilding to complete.

I would like to see someone subscribe and then start up a continuing thread maybe in on the workbench forum, detailing what he gets and how it goes together. I think it would be a very interesting and long running thread especially if the author really kept at it as new installments arrived. it could be a great marketing concept, depending on execution.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

I saw the videos on the Senna F1 kit and they send you a parts pack every month through out the subscription. These kits are more of an assembly of pre - finished parts. There do not seem to be many parts that require painting or the application of decals. That being stated, I would be extremely concerned about making a catastrophic mistake and sending $2500.00 down the drain.

It would be awesome to get MFH kits this way but I suppose you can get a dedicated credit card just for the purpose. Plus you build credit to boot.

In Europe, credit isn't as easy to get as it is here so vendor prescription models are the only way to buy something you really can't afford.

One of the English aircraft modelling mags has a monthly feature on a subscrption build of a 1/12 scale Spitfire. Most of the model is made of balsa. By the end of your 32 month subscription you will have laid out nearly 900 pounds which makes it a pricey model.

DeAgostini is very famous for sell model cars, In Italy I think that they start in the 80's, to sell model cars in this way, and they sold trough book store, gas station and newsstand.

The problem, like the F1 Ferrari kit years ago, was that they usually make available the first numbers and you can find them everywhere. After it is very difficult to find them, above all if you live in small towns, also the first numbers you can find them each month, after they seems to slow down, one each two months, sometime they skip a month and you don't have the parts.

I remember back in the 90's, when I was into 1/43 scale cars, they came out with some cool Fiats. On TV and every where a lot of ads about it, and the first car was a Fiat 500, so I got it, it was very cheap ($5) (compared to other famous brand 1/43 scale maker) but very well made, on the little magazine that came with it, there was all the specifications, history about the Fiat 500. Also a ads with the next month exit, a Fiat 600 that I was able to get it, the price went up little bit ($6,50). When it came out, there on the next month ads there was a Fiat 127 (for $8,50), not the best Fiat, but not so many made in 1/43. I went to the usual book store, but they didn't had it, I ask and the girl check the shipment, and told me that they did not receive any magazine. I went to check other book store, newsstand, but same story. They also told me that I had to subscribe for receive them, but I dint do it. My uncle also collected model cars, he subscribed for the "cars of the 60's" and he had trouble to get some numbers too.

Plus the price start cheap for the first model, and goes up...

The moral of the story, when I saw something interesting on those collection I got the first and second model. :D Did not trust them too much.

One of the English aircraft modelling mags has a monthly feature on a subscrption build of a 1/12 scale Spitfire. Most of the model is made of balsa. By the end of your 32 month subscription you will have laid out nearly 900 pounds which makes it a pricey model.

And that's a ton of money for a "model" that, judging by the photos, looks a badly-proportioned toy.