Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 1961 Pontiac news

GSL, a great event, is a tough one to attend. For years I attended shows all over. One year I did NNL NJ and NNL Chatsworth CA......so I will travel.

Salt Lake is just kinda ;out of the way' compared to say Toledo. My brothers live in Ohio....so I can make Toledo a 'family' trip. NJ...stop and visit Model King....so a biz trip. SLC/GSL is just a tough haul.....still want to attend some day.

Traveling to a show of course, does take time away from the "office", and there is also the expense involved. Generally, a show such as GSL is not a huge crowd, as far as huge crowds go.

Most of the Mfr's have been at say, NNL-East, NNL Nationals, along with some other model car events which are much closer at hand to them, Considering that Moebius' product development, Revell Monogram, and Round2 are all located in the Indiana/Illinois area, that makes a big difference as well.

This isn't to denigrate GSL, just the logistics and some concept as to the cost-effectiveness of mfr's exhibits at what is, for nearly every model company, a rather remote location.

Art

Also the "Trade Show" (swap meet, whatever, where vendors can set up to sell, mfrs can display) at GSL is only for a couple of hours on Saturday morning.....

True what Art and Dave say, but still . . . a LOT of money flies at GSL.

People from 27 states and a handful of foreign countries, all the mags, and bunches of online photo albums.

Still, the vendor expo shrinks every time. Definitely not the hay-days of olde when ALL the aftermarket heavy-hitters were in attendance with truckloads of goods.

True what Art and Dave say, but still . . . a LOT of money flies at GSL.

People from 27 states and a handful of foreign countries, all the mags, and bunches of online photo albums.

Still, the vendor expo shrinks every time. Definitely not the hay-days of olde when ALL the aftermarket heavy-hitters were in attendance with truckloads of goods.

What does the GSL actually stand for? If that show was like in June - Aug it would sure look better to me. I don't think I want to take the chance of seeing snow :blink:

Also, Gotta Spend Lots! It is expensive. :unsure:

Which sort of makes my point, about GSL vs say, NNL East. At NNL-East, you have the single largest one day model car show on the planet--over 2,000 modelers show up, all the magazines are there, as well as more aftermarket vendors than would fit in all the space normally devoted to GSL--and on a time frame basis, for say, new kit announcements--NNL East now is within just a week or two of any GSL date.

It's simply called, from the point of view of both the aftermarket, and kit manufacturers--getting a lot more bang (exposure) for the buck!

Art

GSL vendor room has shrunk.....and so has Toledo (lot smaller) . We in Charlotte put on two HUGE shows in two years.....AMS 1990 and a show at Charlotte Motor Speedway 1992 with rides in NASCAR Cup cars, huge vendor area with Manufactures etc. Wouldn't work today......change the only constant.

Now the only question to be answered, is How close to Acurate

is the Original AMT Annual vs the new Moebius kit???

Here's a couple of quick snapshots of an original AMT'61 Bonneville in my collection. This was built by my older brother back in the day (amazing that it has survived this long).

This may give you some small idea of how they compare - see Tim Boyd's post on the subject and his link to photos of the Moebius test shots.

post-10758-0-62943000-1434606773_thumb.jpost-10758-0-84712100-1434606881_thumb.jpost-10758-0-56448000-1434607219_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Any word on when this will be hitting the hobby shelves?? This is one I've REALLY been waiting for! :D

Yep I totally agree Bill, I cant wait for this one myself, Ill get one thrown over the pond as soon as they are released.

• 1 month later...

Alright! Here is a pre-production buildup of what was on Moebius's table yesterday at Toledo. Thanks to Dave for giving me the scoop of when this will be out. Correct me if I'm wrong Dave, but I got that they were to be on the water by the end of the month, and hopefully in stores by the beginning of December? Just in time for the holidays! The builtup looks great and I've GOT to have at least TWO of these!

07:466300687063

13:466300693922

58:466300678910

17:466301177329

Check out that box art! That alone is worth the price of admission!

The red car BTW is the Ventura, and the blue on in the rear is the Catalina. It was hard to get pics of that one but it's got the plainer '61 hubcaps. Not sure when that one will be available.

Here's a shot of the "1961 Pontiac Catalina SD" test shot buildup revealed at the NNL Nats yesterday..DSC 0183..

More kit reveal images here (for those that missed my NNL Nats coverage posted in the "Contests and Shows" folder below on this forum...)  cheers....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Ventura kits are due to ship at end of October - allowing at least 30 days on the water and time from port to warehouse - warehouse to distributors and distributors to stores I'd say mid December on shelves... Catalina will be spring of 2016

Edited by Dave Metzner

Cool I'm looking forward to the Ventura. But, I noticed in Tim's photo a place card behind the Catalina announcing a wartime Dodge WC. What is this about Dave? And what scale will it be offered in? Also, totally off subject, what is the word on the Fantistic Voyage submarine model I've see mentioned on another site about a year ago?

Cool I'm looking forward to the Ventura. But, I noticed in Tim's photo a place card behind the Catalina announcing a wartime Dodge WC. What is this about Dave? And what scale will it be offered in? Also, totally off subject, what is the word on the Fantistic Voyage submarine model I've see mentioned on another site about a year ago?

I think you're looking at an unrelated magazine cover (note the bar code) behind the Moebius kits...not a kit announcement :mellow:

Edited by mike 51