Model Cars Magazine Forum

A (best left) forgotten Ferrari

Faust

Whoa, weird.

That Ikko kit has a weird hybrid vibe about it. It has the body of the MPC (hard roof, weird headlight covers) but the chassis of the powered version. Generally, though, it seems to be the MPC. So, are there three, or four, versions of this? Two of each mould; one powered, one unpowered?

To think of this much kittage for such a bizarre car, and yet I can't get a model of a 77 Cougar, and they made TONS of those...

I seem to recall there were other outrageous '70s show cars also kitted by Airfix..when I was a kid, IIRC they were sold in the US under the 'US Airfix' brand...I remember the Ferrari Rainbow and maybe a Maserati (Boomerang?)....

Whoa... those pillars are not just thin, they're almost ethereal!

Man, there's no rollover strength in that thing, is there? Freaky...

Looks like a cool kit, though!

Edited by Faust

• 2 weeks later...

Fascinating...I'd seen pics of the 1:1, didn't know it was kitted. The kit seems to be inaccurate as far as some details like the side windows...

76bertone_ferrari_rainbow_11.jpg

It looks like someone drove a Fiero through Pepboys!

• 10 months later...

Interesting spot on the Ultrahots wheels!

In its day, this thing was well-lauded, it seems. There was an article in a 1981-82 magazine (Motor Trend, I think) that called it the "most successful showcar ever". WTF?

I agree with the Pepboys analogy. It's more like it was a reject for a "future car" from Back to the Future II, though.

I still think it needs a trunk mounted laser cannon, like some crazy "future technical".

Now THAT is an eclectic collection of kits, good sir! I like it!

I'm still not sure about this car. It would make a dandy speedboat, though... Seal up the wheel wells, open the roof, put a fishing seat between the headlights...