Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reissue of Warren Tope's '73 Trans-Am Mustang

'70 Grande

The MPC kit is a different kit from the AMT the MPC kit has had a long run with several different decal options at least they made an attempt at changing the valve covers to represent the Boss motor. the decals are very nice. That version of the AMT kit was the Warren Tope kit made into a pseudo street car. there were no side marker lights molded in as it is the racecar body.

post-10152-0-59085300-1423614067_thumb.j

The original box art stipulated that this was a 351C. Any Ford Experts want to weigh in?

Also, I spy with my little eye...regular exhaust manifolds. :huh:

(Picture blatantly stolen from Jimmy Smith)

Edited by Monty

Sorry but I see the same 428 engine and 429 valve covers that showed up in the Testors diecasts knockoffs of this mold. What I don't understand is Ford won a of races in 69/70 Body in white fastbacks painted to look like Boss 302's and were raced with a Boss 302 and there has never been a 1/24 or 1/25 model of an of those TransAm cars. As much as I love 71-73 Mustangs this version raced by Tope did not win any races ever. They were still using the 70 Mustangs in the 71 TA series but the Big three had pulled most of their sponsorship by then. The series limped along a few more years but the interest died out. The only thing that makes is sense is it's cheaper to reissue and old mold w/o any changes then to re-tool the 70 Monogram Boss 302 into a true TA race car that won a lot of races,

Or, do you think that it's possible that these will be new Firestone racing tires that we haven't seen before?

So, back to my original question in this post; are these Firestone tires inside this kit brand-new, or are they the same tires that have been found inside some of the recently-available tire multi-packs? (The tires look to me like pretty-wide street tires, but they're not nearly wide enough for a Trans-Am race car of this era). Thoughts... anyone?

I haven't seen those tires in anything recent, kit, or , parts-pak. In fact I've never seen them in anything 1/25-1/24 scale. Is what appears to be a thin white line around the outside side-wall really there, or , am I seeing a light refraction or something? Wow, if it is. They may not be accurate Trans-Am tires for this period (?) but they look like they could find homes in many other racing applications. I think they look awsome.

Edited by Speedfreak

Yep. Says Ford Motor Company..... but in unreadable scale. Nobody seems to have any of these wheels to get rid of.... I wanna build an Eleanor eventually. Need 3 more lol

Jesse,

IIRC, the 71 and 72 promos had the cap and trim ring wheels that you are looking for. Modelhaus has them for $8.50.

If you buy 4 kits, you will have a set of stock hubcap / rings for Eleanor.

Its a big job as I had to buy some old built kits to get the stock interior and exhaust.

You need a flat resin hood.

Also, you need a small bumper. Maybe you can whittle the kit one down or find an old kit. Then, you might as well buy the complete old kit, unbuilt.

I am surprised nobody cast resin parts for it?

I haven't seen those tires in anything recent, kit, or , parts-pack.

Are they the same as AMT's L60-15 Goodyear Polyglas GT tires, only with different sidewall printing? The zig-zag tread, and how it spills over the shoulder a bit looks very similar, but I haven't seen a direct comparison of the two tires yet:

DSC_0491-L.jpg

It's really hard to tell from the picture of the Firestones, need a better picture.

I can't tell for sure, either. Maybe someone who has both the Polyglas parts pack tires and this kit could take a close-up, side-by-side comparison shot, pretty please? ^_^

Are they the same as AMT's L60-15 Goodyear Polyglas GT tires, only with different sidewall printing? The zig-zag tread, and how it spills over the shoulder a bit looks very similar, but I haven't seen a direct comparison of the two tires yet:

DSC_0491-L.jpg

I have the kit, and they do appear to be the same L60-15 tire with new printing in a yellowish/beige/gold color. And yes, there is a stripe in the same color on the sidewall too.