Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two of the Craziest "Funny Cars" ever kitted by Revell....

RatRod

Those are really sweet builds John. I can see why you just had to fulfill your grail and do these up right. Congrats on following it through to the end. That must be really gratifying to have these up on the shelf. Any others on your 'grail' list?

I think this is where Revell got the body

attachicon.gifP1020660 - Copy.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020658 - Copy.JPG

greg

You would be correct Greg!!! It's pretty cool to see that original body, I'm wondering if they used the annual tool to modify, or if they tooled up a completely new body. After seeing yours, there seems to be quite a bit more retooling than I originally thought.

Once again, thanks for all the awesome replies!!! It's quite an honor to add these two to my collection of old kits. As far as more grails go, why heck yes I've got several........Let's see, 1/8 Big Drag for starters........ :D

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent builds John ! I must have been sleeping because I completely missed these when you posted them . They both have your usual attention to detail but the paint is what really got my attention . . . they're beautiful !

I had both of these as a kid and a couple of Miss Deal reissues but have never built one . I might try a Miss Deal but doubt I can match the quality of yours , very nice work !

I am not Revell, but, I know why they will not do the Revellion, but I might wrong on that.

This is from what Tom West told me about the kits.

The Revellion, as previously stated, was made from the Tony Nancy double kit and the 62 Dodge. The tooling for the Tony Nancy chrome tree was cut in half to make this kit! Yes, they pretty much mangled the tooling to make a weird Funny Car, but, by then the Nancy kit was rather dated and thus of not much value.

When Revell started digging into its tooling and fielding request for re-releases, the Tony Nancy kit was high on the list, but, could not be done due to the tooling being cut and the other half to complete it came up missing. That is until Tom West rediscovered it sitting on a dusty bench in the tool room! It had been there the whole time and no one noticed it!!!

Revell managed to rejoin the pieces and that is when we got the Tony Nancy kit again.

So, Revell would have to sell you a whole kit with only the Dodge body to do it. I don't know how willing they would be to do that, but, you never know!

And that is the rest of the story!

Why not a Double kit with the '62 Dodge body and something else I'm sure they could come up with that would make a kit more sought after than the AMT Double Dragster Kit, Revell "Slingster" or any other of the "new" double kits that are much the rage right now. :P

I am not Revell, but, I know why they will not do the Revellion, but I might wrong on that.

This is from what Tom West told me about the kits.

The Revellion, as previously stated, was made from the Tony Nancy double kit and the 62 Dodge. The tooling for the Tony Nancy chrome tree was cut in half to make this kit! Yes, they pretty much mangled the tooling to make a weird Funny Car, but, by then the Nancy kit was rather dated and thus of not much value.

When Revell started digging into its tooling and fielding request for re-releases, the Tony Nancy kit was high on the list, but, could not be done due to the tooling being cut and the other half to complete it came up missing. That is until Tom West rediscovered it sitting on a dusty bench in the tool room! It had been there the whole time and no one noticed it!!!

Revell managed to rejoin the pieces and that is when we got the Tony Nancy kit again.

So, Revell would have to sell you a whole kit with only the Dodge body to do it. I don't know how willing they would be to do that, but, you never know!

And that is the rest of the story!

That is a good point, and a great story. It would be cool to see the Revellion again, but probably will never happen, unless the price was right for the body, and tins, and in this case might end up being a mute point if the "parts" kit was priced at a full kit price. Mine has an original '67 body, and am pretty sure hood, the tins are resin, and the chassis is '80's issue Nancy kit. Glad you all liked these!!!

The Revellion body originated in an annual kit. Revell did the entire '62 Chrysler line as annual kits. This was revolutionary at the time, but the kits sold poorly, so Revell was stuck looking for ways to recoup its investment in the tooling. The Revellion kit was one way. Another was to reissue several of the kits molded in translucent metalflake plastic.