Model Cars Magazine Forum

Read any good books lately?

charlie8575

Cussler's books are certainly a great read, I've read all the Dirk Pitt and Kurt Austin books, besides the newest ones, and a couple of the Oregon series as well.

I noticed it hasn't been mentioned yet, but a series that I would suggest everyone to check out is the "Destroyermen" series, by Taylor Anderson. The overall story arc is a WWII US destroyer that gets sucked into a storm and brought into a different world where an ongoing war is occurring between two strange races, and the US destroyer helps the "good" side attempt to defeat the "evil" by taking technology from their timeline and applying it in the new world. It's great for people who like the whole "into a new world" storyline, as well as people who are into the Navy and Navy stories. Taylor actually uses plenty of factual information in his stories, but makes them very entertaining as well. I believe at this point there are 7 books out in stores.

Two of the best books I have ever read are Replay by Ken Grimwood and The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Replay is a novel that makes you ask the question, "What if you could live your life over again? And again? And again?" It is a great book that starts out like it is going to be a light, fun story but turns serious and thought provoking. Everyone I recommended the book to loved it. The Lovely Bones is a novel that is told from the perspective of a 14 year old girl in heaven. It is a heavy, heartbreaking book. I absolutely love the book, but I actually had people who got mad at me for recommending it to them because the book is so heavy.

Two great action novels are a Consent To Kill by Vince Flynn and Hard Fall by Ridley Pearson. Both books have great, well developed characters. Hard Fall will give you chills when you realize that the book was written nine years before 9/11.

Other books I really liked are 1984 by George Orwell, The Stand by Stephen King, Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand. Degree of Guilt by Richard North Patterson. Dying Breath by Wendy Corsi Staub, and The Fourth K by Mario Puzo (about a fictional fourth Kennedy brother that becomes president), just to name a few.

Car related, I recently read Chrysler's Turbine Car by Steve Lehto. Have been interested in the Turbine since I tried building the Jo-Han kit as a kid (failed then but someday I'll try again). It was an interesting book that provided a great deal of history & insight that I'd never considered. Loved the stories of families who'd had the chance to drive these cars.

I became interested in the 1908 Great Race a few years back when there was a failed plan to rerun it with both period and modern cars. I've been hunting used book stores ever since for volumes on the original race. I think I now have all books that were written in English ( there was a book written in German & one in Italian). The difficulties those car crews went through at the beginning of the 20th century was unbelievable. Now to find a couple of the AMT Thomas Flyer kits to build before & after models.

Non car related but I just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Having never been a fan of Kings horror novels and looking at the size of this book I had reservations about tackling the book but once I got a chapter into it I couldn't put in down. The man is a good author and while the topic is one we are all familiar with the story that he wove was fasinating with all kinds of unexpected twists and turns. For those of you who haven't heard of this book it tells the story of a man who goes back in time to try to prevent the assination of JFK.

I just finished "No Easy Days" by Mark Owen. I'm into modern day military books, especially spec ops, this book is really good. One of my favorite authors is Dick Couch, he has a series on SEAL training and a couple about SEALs in Iraq and afganastan. He also wrote another book detailing Army Special Forces training. I would definitely recommend any of these books, and no, there's no tactical secrets or classified material leaked in his book like the news channels have been talking about, it's just what happened from one of the SEALs that was there.

I really enjoyed the recent A&E series Longmire. The show is about a Wyoming sheriff and is based on a series of mysteries by Craig Johnson. I'm not much of a mystery reader, but I picked up the first book in the series The Cold Dish and found it even better than the show. I've also read Death Without Company and just picked up Kindness Goes Unpunished.

Monte: King of Atom-Age Monster Decals! by Bill Shelby was recommended by a former co-worker. That one is a great read too!

"The Lovely Bones" was one of my 10 yr olds favorite movies for about a year (from 8-9?). lt bothered me for a while until l realized it was strengthening her spiritualism & self awareness. Sometimes reality sucks.

The movie is a complete joke. There is no way anyone could turn The Lovely Bones into a good movie. If anyone has any interest in the subject, please read the book and avoid the movie at all costs.

Non car related but I just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Having never been a fan of Kings horror novels and looking at the size of this book I had reservations about tackling the book but once I got a chapter into it I couldn't put in down. The man is a good author and while the topic is one we are all familiar with the story that he wove was fasinating with all kinds of unexpected twists and turns. For those of you who haven't heard of this book it tells the story of a man who goes back in time to try to prevent the assination of JFK.

One of my friends is reading that now, and he's absolutely raving about it. I plan to check it out, and I don't generally care for Stephen King, but this book sounds so good, that to not read it would be cheating myself.

Charlie Larkin

• 3 years later...

Because they are all part of the "Killing" series. It's an ongoing theme.

The Ted Baxter of the 21st Century is apparently obsessed with death, and is making a good living selling it. How bizarre, how bizarre.

My reading habits are a bit on the diverse side.  My last two books are "A higher Calling", a true story about a German and US pilot who met in the skies over Germany and "The Heretics Daughter" a historical novel about the Salem witch trials.

My aviation back ground was the basis for my interest in "A Higher Calling".  I had heard of the story of chivalry by the German not finishing off a shot to hell B-17 and found the story fascinating.

The Heretic's Daughter is a bit more convoluted.  I came to it as a result of my sisters digging into our family tree and finding that my grandmother seven times removed was one of the women hung as a witch and this book was about what happened to her and her(my)family told from the point of view of her daughter.  My family is descended from the narrator's brother, but it is still a very interesting story when it is your family.

Read this one a few times, kinda like the Zen of fixin' old cars / trucks. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0874517559/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=TMNZGN15B6B5&coliid=I8GW79QMVI8C

I read that one back in the '70s, or maybe the '80s. Hilarious! To this day I often quote his amazement at the miracle of electricity: "...through not a tube, but a solid metal wire? Sure. And frogs cause warts."

Or something like that. Hey, if you have it handy look that passage up and let me know how accurately I remember it. B)

OK, Killing, I get ,Lincoln, Hitler, but who killed Patton ? Reagan ? Doesn't make sense.:wacko:

"Attempted" killing, I guess.

As far as "Killing Reagan," O'Reilly has said that while the assassination attempt didn't literally kill Reagan, it basically started a long, slow decline.

"Attempted" killing, I guess.

As far as "Killing Reagan," O'Reilly has said that while the assassination attempt didn't literally kill Reagan, it basically started a long, slow decline.

I've heard from several people who actually knew and worked with Reagan that that book is complete nonsense.

Patton died in a suspicious car crash at the end of the war. Suspicious if you're given to conspiracy theories

There were some oddities about that whole thing. And I knew about them long before Bill OhReally's book.

I finished reading David McCullough's new bio last week titled"the Wright Brothers"and highly recommend it.Excellent book that reveals the true personal lives of these truly intelligent gentlemen that changed the world forever with their experiments into heavier that air manned flight.They were true gentlemen with a sense of dedication and work ethics we really need more of today.

They were never influenced by money,power or prestige in their indevers and never lost sight of what they invisioned as possible.I think one of my personal favorite quotes is from Orville near the end of the book.As he lived long enough to see the military applications of their invention he was interviewed by a newspaper reporter and asked if he flet and personal responsibility for the death and destruction that had been unleashed upon the world due to the military's use of their invention he repliied"No more than the person who discovered fire does when a house burns."

I also am a Clive Cussler fan and have read about 40 of his books since retiring 6 years ago.I love his talent for describing the people in his books and his ability to weave ancient history and modern tech into so many of his plots.