86 replies to this topic

#61 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,762 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

I've read almost 1,000 books since moving to Florida. It helps that Marcia works at a library and gets me the latest of everything out there. I keep a record of my readings in an MS Access database.

#62 cjstranick

cjstranick

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Full Name:Corey Stranick

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

I just finished Micro by Michael Crichton. Great book, been reading a lot of his as well as the Jack Reacher series.

#63 lordairgtar

lordairgtar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

An old book I revisited "They Call Me Mr. 500", the story of Andy Granitelli. First read it in High School, then just recently again. Just starting the Dodge Story too. Also A Day In The Life Of The Soviet Union...a photo essay of a single day by several photographers during the beginning of Glasnost. For fiction, currently reading the Presence series by Charity Becker. Her writing is darned good. I am a bit biased I think because I proof read her first in the series, Presence: The Awakening. It's about a girl named Mina who encounters several supernatural entities. A great twist on a genre.

#64 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

Just searched my library, want to read "they call me Mr. 500" none such available. But I can get "they call me honey boo-boo". I live in the wrong state!

#65 DavidChampagne

DavidChampagne

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Full Name:David Champagne

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:19 AM

R.A. Salvatore has a long series of books involving a dark elve named "DRIZZT", with a magical black panther. Great fantasy reading.
The first six "TARZAN" novels are great.
I have read several books on drivers, BILL ELLIOTT, TONY STEWART, DON GARDLETS, DARRELL WALTRIP, DALE SR, all good.
If you like jet fighters, DALE BROWN.
And , of course, "MODEL CARS!"

#66 jas1957

jas1957

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Full Name:John Strick

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

Call Me Mr. 500 is a great read, if half of what he says in there is true he lead an amazing life. It was originally published in 1969 & was reprinted 10-15 years ago. Might be hard to find.

#67 Dave Ambrose

Dave Ambrose

MCM Avid Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Ambrose

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

I finally got my library out of storage and have gone seriously geeky.

I tend to read several books in parallel. I'm almost finished with Magister Ludi by Herman Hesse for the 3rd time. I'm also reading Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness by Sharon Saltzberg and Information Architecture for the World Wide Web.

#68 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,002 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

Just re-read Stephen King's 'From A Buick 8'- which upon revisiting does 'feel' a bit more like 'The Green Mile' than 'Christine 2'.

Also recently finished 'The Lost Ships of Robert Ballard' by Robert Ballard and Rick Archbold- which tells the stories of the ships and shipwrecks Dr. Ballard has explored. Of course it is loaded with vintage images of the ships, as well as photographs of the wreck sites, and more than a few paintings by Ken Marschall.

Next on the docket- 'The Physics of Star Trek' by Lawrence Krauss (a book I can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to reading), 'Sasquatch- Legend Meets Science' byt Jeff Meldrum, and depending on how busy things get this winter, I might blow the dust off a few volumes of my old Time-Life 'Mysteries of the Unknown' series.

#69 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

Posted ImageSad but enlightening.
Posted ImageEverything you'd want to know about this famous plane ( my Father in law was a bombardier, 35 missions over Germany)

#70 Dragline

Dragline

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Frias

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

Currently reading Stephen R Donaldson's "The Last Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant".

Pretty Epic stuff. If you like Fantasy/Sci Fi Donaldson is one of the best.

Bob

#71 Tom Setzer

Tom Setzer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Full Name:Thomas J.C. Setzer

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant". are Great books!
I just got around to reading Ghost Story By Jim Butcher: Poor Harry Has to Solve His own Murder and Findout who ordered it, while trying to help save his friends as a Ghost that only one person can see! Mean while his aprentice Who happens to his friend and retire Knight of The Cross's Daughter went wild when he was killed! I want say anymore except that it is a very GOOD Read. Can't wait for the next book in the series: Cold Days to be Released! I have read all of the Dresdin Files.
I also enjoyed His Fantacy Series!
If you like dark Fantacy Morcock's Eternal Champion books are very Good!
Another Good Read is Raymond Fiests Kingdom of the Isle Books: Poor Pug Keep losing Family Members, and has now Lost Miranda and Caleb during the Demon attack on Thir Villa on Sorcerer Isle and had to move into The Black Sorcerer's Castle!

I have Spent a lot of My time researching The History of the Arab Conquest in the 7th-10th Centries!

#72 fredo84

fredo84

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Full Name:Fred

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

Pretty good read !!

Attached Files

#73 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:39 AM

Sorry Skip this isn't about cars. However nothing shows how good a read can be like a revisit. I've read this one more than once.

Posted Image

#74 kruleworld

kruleworld

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Full Name:Walter Strider

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

i just got modeljunkyard's book on building a service station....good read

Edited by kruleworld, 19 September 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#75 Paul Bunyan

Paul Bunyan

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Full Name:Rich Reo

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

"About Face" by David Hackworth. A true warrior in both Korean and Vietnam conflicts. One of the most decorated soldiers in this era. he got so pissed off at the way the US government ran the military he gave all his medals away to a bunch of Boy Scouts!

#76 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

Cussler's books are certainly a great read, I've read all the Dirk Pitt and Kurt Austin books, besides the newest ones, and a couple of the Oregon series as well.

I noticed it hasn't been mentioned yet, but a series that I would suggest everyone to check out is the "Destroyermen" series, by Taylor Anderson. The overall story arc is a WWII US destroyer that gets sucked into a storm and brought into a different world where an ongoing war is occurring between two strange races, and the US destroyer helps the "good" side attempt to defeat the "evil" by taking technology from their timeline and applying it in the new world. It's great for people who like the whole "into a new world" storyline, as well as people who are into the Navy and Navy stories. Taylor actually uses plenty of factual information in his stories, but makes them very entertaining as well. I believe at this point there are 7 books out in stores.

#77 rickd13

rickd13

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Full Name:Rick Dattalo

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Two of the best books I have ever read are Replay by Ken Grimwood and The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Replay is a novel that makes you ask the question, "What if you could live your life over again? And again? And again?" It is a great book that starts out like it is going to be a light, fun story but turns serious and thought provoking. Everyone I recommended the book to loved it. The Lovely Bones is a novel that is told from the perspective of a 14 year old girl in heaven. It is a heavy, heartbreaking book. I absolutely love the book, but I actually had people who got mad at me for recommending it to them because the book is so heavy.
Two great action novels are a Consent To Kill by Vince Flynn and Hard Fall by Ridley Pearson. Both books have great, well developed characters. Hard Fall will give you chills when you realize that the book was written nine years before 9/11.
Other books I really liked are 1984 by George Orwell, The Stand by Stephen King, Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand. Degree of Guilt by Richard North Patterson. Dying Breath by Wendy Corsi Staub, and The Fourth K by Mario Puzo (about a fictional fourth Kennedy brother that becomes president), just to name a few.

#78 camaroman

camaroman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn P. Nunnally

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

Currently reading "John Adams" by David McCullough... Fascinating but I keep see Paul Giamatti's face when I am reading!

#79 robertw

robertw

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

Car related, I recently read Chrysler's Turbine Car by Steve Lehto. Have been interested in the Turbine since I tried building the Jo-Han kit as a kid (failed then but someday I'll try again). It was an interesting book that provided a great deal of history & insight that I'd never considered. Loved the stories of families who'd had the chance to drive these cars.

I became interested in the 1908 Great Race a few years back when there was a failed plan to rerun it with both period and modern cars. I've been hunting used book stores ever since for volumes on the original race. I think I now have all books that were written in English ( there was a book written in German & one in Italian). The difficulties those car crews went through at the beginning of the 20th century was unbelievable. Now to find a couple of the AMT Thomas Flyer kits to build before & after models.

Non car related but I just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Having never been a fan of Kings horror novels and looking at the size of this book I had reservations about tackling the book but once I got a chapter into it I couldn't put in down. The man is a good author and while the topic is one we are all familiar with the story that he wove was fasinating with all kinds of unexpected twists and turns. For those of you who haven't heard of this book it tells the story of a man who goes back in time to try to prevent the assination of JFK.

#80 eizzle

eizzle

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Full Name:Colin Frost

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

I just finished "No Easy Days" by Mark Owen. I'm into modern day military books, especially spec ops, this book is really good. One of my favorite authors is Dick Couch, he has a series on SEAL training and a couple about SEALs in Iraq and afganastan. He also wrote another book detailing Army Special Forces training. I would definitely recommend any of these books, and no, there's no tactical secrets or classified material leaked in his book like the news channels have been talking about, it's just what happened from one of the SEALs that was there.