#1 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,432 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Ok... I can let it pass on models that were tooled up in the '60s and '70s and even the '80s and '90s... but on brand-new kits that have been tooled in the 21st century, why do they still insist on making the wipers a molded-in detail instead of making them separate pieces? Same for door handles. (I'm talking about subjects from the era when wipers were not flat black and hidden under the hood and door handles were chrome and not body color). It would look so much better and so much more realistic if the wipers were separate pieces. It would also make foiling the windshield trim easier, and separate door handles would make polishing the body easier.

#2 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,854 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

They just do that to annoy you, Harry!

B)

#3 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,432 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

They just do that to annoy you, Harry!

B)

Well, it's working... :lol:

#4 ZombieHunter26

ZombieHunter26

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Full Name:Rob

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

I'll have to agree with you on this one Harry.

Many times I've bought a kit that was tooled RECENTLY (like 2000's recent) and the quality of the kit is shoddy at best. I'm lucky to have a manager at my LHS willing to let me take a look at the kit bags before I decide to buy the kit. This has become the norm for my 'purchase' visits to the LHS, unfortunately.

One could only hope that the model tooling will improve as time goes by.

I hope that this isn't wishful thinking at it's best....

#5 Roncla

Roncla

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Clarkson

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

Couldn't agree more on the wiper and door handles. Molded in wipers in particular just look plain crude.

#6 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

Is it even possible with current injection molding technology to replicate an accurate windshield wiper and arm in 1/25 scale? The blade alone would be paper thin, and the blade holder would also need to be very thin, not to mention compound curved.

It's a compromise, but I think Revell did a good job with the '66 Chevelle and El Camino's separate door handles. I can't remember seeing separately molded windshield wiper arm/blade which really knocked my socks off, though.

#7 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,925 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

I agree Harry, I dont think we are asking for knock your socks off wiper blades and arms, but lets at least have separate castings for it, and if you want that knock your shocks off , there is always the P/E option.

#8 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Lindberg did some of the door handles in chrome....and Moebius has the wipers separate so you have a start. Wipers are a bigger issue than door handles on subjects that could become race cars!

#9 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Revell has a few with seperate wipers and handles - '64 T-bolt and '66 Impala both come to mind as I recently finished both. I have to say, the wipers in the '64 kit don't fit well and I replaced them with PE parts. At least I had the option though.

I really like seperate door handles.

#10 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

I'd sure like to see more seperate wipers. I've built several racing Corvairs and had to C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y remove the molded-in wipers from the old-as-dirt AMT Corvair body. Now if someone would just do us all a favor and come out with an all-new Corvair tool with seperate wipers and door handles, all would be right with the world! :) :lol: :D :P

(That's a kit we would all appreciate, right? :huh:)

#11 slotbaker

slotbaker

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Full Name:Steve King

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Maybe cost to tool up? An extra mould would be needed for separate wiper/s.
:huh:
It's clearly not a technical issue, because making moulds for wipers has been possible for a long time.

S'pose they could make a generic wiper that could be adapted to all similar applications.
That could slightly reduce the cost of the body mould, by eliminating that detail.

It does seem a bit wierd, because many slot cars (mainly 1/32) have separate wipers.
And they get broken off during racing.

Edited by slotbaker, 23 April 2012 - 08:17 PM.

#12 jamesG

jamesG

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Full Name:James gaughenbaugh

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:09 AM

Rebellion 68 charger and 69 nova ss have both handles and wipers separate though I havent looked at them close enough to judge the quality yet.

#13 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:24 AM

Maybe cost to tool up? An extra mould would be needed for separate wiper/s.
:huh:
It's clearly not a technical issue, because making moulds for wipers has been possible for a long time.

I think Steve has it .. it HAS to be cost .. there's no other reason to do anything with a car model. Saying it's technical just because it's a new kit doesn't cut it. Examples have been given above as to the abilities of mold makers of older kits.

#14 philo426

philo426

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:25 AM

what do you think of photo etched wiper blades? Posted Image

#15 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

I agree, especially on the door handles. I'm always tempted to shave them off but, I don't want to make everything a custom. Photo etched wipers are pretty easy to come by.

#16 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:54 AM

I agree AMT's 53' Ford pick-up has the UGLIEST molded in wipers I have ever seen.Sadly that is one of my favorite kits,Hey Mobius wana make a completely stock 53' Ford Pick-up ?

#17 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,379 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:30 AM

I agree with you Harry, but I also think they are counting parts . . . perhaps they don't want to go over a certain number of parts in Skill Level 2, etc . . . that's the only thing I can figure out. Or maybe they have market statistic that says that nobody really cares about wipers and door handles. Which they might be right about since I always remove all of mine . . . :huh:

#18 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:33 AM

Adding the wipers to the molds wouldn't be difficult since they would just have to mill out the space in the blocks on a free space on the parts tree. However if the body mold is already made, then it's tougher since they can't exactly fill in the spot where the molded in wipers were.

I think the main reason is they know there's a chance that the builder will accidentally break the wipers and complain that they should have been molded in. Personally, I think that most regular builders would prefer the separate pieces, but I suppose the companies would rather cater to the more casual crowd.

#19 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,240 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

The Trumpeter '64 Falcon has separate wipers.

#20 LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:08 AM

As of late , all of Revell's new releases have the door handles and wipers on the chrome sprues rather than the bodies .

Ease up , Tinman , take a deep breath , a swig of Geritol , and you'll be just fine ! Lol !