Does modeling affect your purchase of a car?

• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

#1 SSNJim

SSNJim

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

A comment made in another thread reminded me of a cartoon I saw years ago in some modeling magazine. A husband (looking somewhat miffed) and wife are in a dealership talking to the salesman. The wife says "Oh, he just won't buy a car that hasn't been released in 1/25 scale."

I got to thinking about it, and almost all my 1:1 four-wheeled vehicles (07 Mustang, 07 Focus Wagon, 97 Crown Victoria, 96 Ranger SuperCab, 92 Thunderbird SC, 94 Ranger, 77 F150, 91 Grand Prix 4-door, 85 Tempo, 83 Chevy Van, 82 El Camino, 79 Mustang, 73 Capri) have been produced in plastic. Maybe not exactly (the Grand Prix model was only a 2 door of a higher trim version, and the plastic Rangers were regular cabs for example), but pretty close. I do have to admit, it does cross my mind when I buy a car - is there a model of this? I'm not sure I have bought a car because it was modeled, but the fact has swayed me when choosing between two choices.

Do available plastic models influence your car buying decisions? Or maybe modifications to your 1:1?

#2 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,672 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

Do available plastic models influence your car buying decisions?

No. Why would it?

That's like saying I bought my house based on whether or not a dollhouse version was available. Or I married my wife because there was a Barbie that looked like her.

:blink:

#3 foxbat426

foxbat426

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Full Name:John Ferro

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Just curious did someone do the crown vic in a non police version or do you have to buy the police version and do it stock - would love to have one. Is there a specific police version i should look for??

thx, john

#4 Brizio

Brizio

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Full Name:Fabrizio Fae

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

I have few Jeeps and Jeeps are built not bought... :) So it easy to me do the opposite... :D

#5 Scuderia

Scuderia

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • Full Name:Lawrence Greene

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

Just curious did someone do the crown vic in a non police version or do you have to buy the police version and do it stock - would love to have one. Is there a specific police version i should look for??

thx, john

Depends on which one you're interested in. I am in process of using the Lindberg blank copper for my 1997 street Vic. I got it on eBay for $9 after shipping. Its curbside tho.

#6 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,401 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

No, not at all although it is fun to build a replica of a car you have or had.

#7 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

I guess I'm kind of backwards on this, I always buy the car first and then start looking for it in 1/25th scale later, usually after getting rid of the car. I'm building a collection of cars I once owned. Do you think they will ever make a kit of a '40 Plymouth Sedan? :D

Edited by rmvw guy, 05 July 2012 - 03:52 PM.

#8 scalenut

scalenut

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Hobbs

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

I married my first wife In large part because I thought she looked like barbie.
unfortunately she had the same disposition and lack of heart.

I might buy a model because I had the car ,,, but not the other way around

Edited by scalenut, 05 July 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#9 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

No, The only things that affect my buying of a 1:1 are Condition, Ease of Maintenance, Cost to own, Fuel Mileage, and Insurance cost, I just got lucky and bought something I can model fairly easy.

Nick

#10 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,391 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:32 AM

I would not know, I have not bought a new car since (drum roll please . . . ) since 1980 when I bought a Ford Mustang and watched it over the next four years literally fall apart, one screw at a time.

I have a 55 Chevrolet and a Yamaha V-Star Classic 1100, and that's good enough for me.

Edited by Dr. Cranky, 06 July 2012 - 03:33 AM.

#11 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts
  • Full Name:Martin, Andrew O.

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:40 AM

Model building sure does affect my purchase of a car. After spending so much on models I have to buy a cheap car!

Edited by Modelmartin, 06 July 2012 - 03:42 AM.

#12 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,900 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

I've never thought about the 1/25 version when buying a car, but almost all the cars I want to build I've owned in 1:1. Maybe that's because I HAVE to want the 1:1 car before I buy. I think only the 145 Volvo and 08 Infiniti G37 Coupe haven't been kitted close enough to build ... the rest are in some stage down in the workshop. :)

#13 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,741 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:43 AM

No...though I've tried to build models of the cars I've owned, though most of the cars I've had were only available in diecast or not at all.

#14 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:45 AM

That is funny and true at the same time! I dated a girl who looked like Barbie but could not see marrying her- too much work!

#15 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,977 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

Out of all the vehicles I have owned, only one has a kit made , and its not even the same make, talking about the Chevy Cavailer, there is a kit of it, but its of the Toyota Cavailer, the only difference is steering wheel on the right side, amber rear directionals. But its a hard kit to find.

But to answer the question, no, I will be a car that I want or like, not based off of if there is a kit of it

Edited by martinfan5, 06 July 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#16 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,747 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

I've never purchased a vehicle because there was a kit of it, but I've been fairly fortunate that most of the vehicles I've owned are available in one scale form or another. In fact, I think the only vehicles I've ever owned which weren't available in scale were the '98 Mercury Tracer and the series of '81-84 Olds Delta 88/Custom Crusier wagons I had during high school.

#17 57peppershaker

57peppershaker

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Peppershaker

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

I bought / built / collected 57 Chevy 2 door coupes, but went and bought a 1;1 2 door sedan !
Always prefered the sedan look but only coupes (apart from MPC flip front sedan) were tooled, so had to make do.

Thanks Revell for coming to my rescue, but what am I gonna do with 100 issues of coupes lol

Always try to build models of my 1;1's, 57, 95 Camaro, Fox Mustangs & 85 Caprice (nobody bothers with Ford Mondeo's & other UK dailys) but it wouldnt sway my choice of 1;1 purchase.

#18 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

I might buy a model because I had the car ,,, but not the other way around

Ditto on both!

Mine was wife #3 though..........................................

G

#19 SSNJim

SSNJim

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

thx, john

Mine was a police version, so I didn't have any such worries. The only visible difference between the police and non-police Crown Victorias of that vintage is the door moldings. Even the "police hubcaps" were standard on the lower end non-police Crown Vics.

#20 SSNJim

SSNJim

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Do you think they will ever make a kit of a '40 Plymouth Sedan? :D

Didn't they do a 41? Keep your hopes up! It might still happen!