#21 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,612 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

It requires a lot more than that to change an LX over to a GT. There's way too many differences between the LX and GT for anyone to put out a kit that could build either one. It's something that just isn't feasible. The nose piece, rear bumper (no, you can't just add cladding to the LX bumper), tail lights, body molding, wheels and tail pipes are all different between the two. Then you have the differences between the interiors.

I didn't realize there were that many differences. Well, I suppose you could do a 2-in-1, but it would take a fair number of extra parts.

I still wouldn't be shocked to see something come down the pike, though.

Charlie Larkin

#22 Brian Fishburn

Brian Fishburn

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

Okay- before ANYONE jumps to the wrong conclusions: I am VERY happy with the Mustang kit, and look very forward to getting my hands on one.

Did everyone hear that? It looks like an awesome kit that we've needed for a long time, now.

This post is onlyfor reference by those who want to make things as accurate as possible.

I do, however, see one VERY EASILY REMEDIED inaccuracy. By '92, the LX Mustangs were using the five spoke 16" wheels. At least on cars sold to the public. Maybe the ten hole wheels were still being used on Police cars, and if so- this post applies only to public versions. I believe that the wheelwells were slightly enlarged on the years that had the 16" wheels, but the difference is impossible to see in 1:1, let alone 1:25.

Anyway- there are two easy remedies, if you want to go completely accurate. Source some 5 spoke wheels from an after market source or another kit, or build it as a 1987-89 LX by changing out the steering wheel for a non-airbag type.

Not bashing the kit, just pointing out an inaccuracy for anyone who wants to correct it. And the correction is easier than wiring the engine. Heck- it allows you the chance to build it as any year from 87-93 with minimal changes.

A heckuva nice addition to the line, Revell.

#23 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

The police versions could still be had with the ten hole wheels but you are correct that for a stock open market LX the wheels are incorrect.

#24 sln583

sln583

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Foley

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

That Mustang looks awesome.
I cant believe Revell is really doing it.
Im all over buying a few of those.
Hopefully a hatchback version will come later.

#25 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:31 AM

That Mustang looks awesome.
I cant believe Revell is really doing it.
Im all over buying a few of those.
Hopefully a hatchback version will come later.

No insider info here.....but all model companies today will only tool new kits IF there are options down the road for 'other versions'.
With this Mustang they are open to MANY versions down the road if this one sells well enough. Coupe, conv and hatchback for a number of different years and trim levels.
To quote Tom Petty 'The future is wide open'

#26 mikemopar70

mikemopar70

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Full Name:Michel Paquette

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

Unfortunately, i won't buy a single example of this kit..... No, i will have to buy a complete crate of them!!!! :-P

I'm so much ecxited to finally have possibilty to build a LX version, i like it just the way it has been presented at the show.

And i'm very happy with the police version.

Even the wheels are a nice addition, the first time we'll have them in kit form!!

THANK'S A LOT REVELL, KEEP IT ON!!!

#27 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,551 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

Amen, Mike!

B)

#28 MonoPed

MonoPed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

I am really happy to see this kit come out! I can already see some cool variations on the build, and I plan to buy at least two of them to do an FHP version and a slightly modded street car. Maybe even a convertible to do the '89 LX I had back in the day. It may be the angle that the pics were taken, but the tail pipes look a bit "off" to me. One of the things that made the "look" of the LX were those brushed stainless tail pipes following the lower quarter panels out to the bumper. Hopefully this won't be the case with the production kit, but it won't be a deal breaker for me. I'm a model builder, I'll fix it B)

#29 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,903 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

I know this one is a little bit older then Revell kit, but its a slick top

Combine this kit with this- http://www.madmodeli...79muscoupe.html and these http://www.madmodeli...gdishtruck.html, and you'd be right in the ballpark for building something close to what's in the pic.

That's sort of what I'm planning for at least one of these- combining the '92 underpinnings and the MAD '79 transkit and doing a mildly updated four-eye notch with the '92's fuel injection intact and Cobra R wheels.

#30 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

If Revell is in fact planning on releasing a stock/drag version, I may just get one of these to hold me over until it comes out. If anyone at Revell reads this, please please make the wheels for the drag version the same size! NO fifteens up front and sixteens out back! Make them all four either fifteen or sixteen inches. A good set of ten and half inch slicks would be cool too.

#31 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

even the tires will be new.

Out of curiosity, what was the factory installed tire size and brand(s)/model(s) when these cars were new?

#32 VW Dave

VW Dave

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Full Name:Vee Doubleyou Dave

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

I'm not known for building police car models, but I will need at least one of those new Mustang kits for that purpose. I always loved how they did the wheels on our NYS trooper Stangs

Posted Image

#33 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Andrey

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

Cobra R or Saleen hatchback versions would be appreciated.

#34 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,191 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

I'm not known for building police car models, but I will need at least one of those new Mustang kits for that purpose. I always loved how they did the wheels on our NYS trooper Stangs

Same here about the wheels

#35 Bbcjay

Bbcjay

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Full Name:Jay Newson

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

Out of curiosity, what was the factory installed tire size and brand(s)/model(s) when these cars were new?

225/60/15 Goodyear gatorback

#36 Scuderia

Scuderia

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Full Name:Lawrence Greene

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:14 AM

Thanks to Jonathan for alerting me to this. I took a late-summer break to do some other stuff and i'm so cised for this news. My bday is in February and even if these are in April i'm treating myself to multiples. This is glorious news as many others have said, and it looks good too..

#37 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,191 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

I already have a order placed for a few of these, well me and half the guys at the club :lol:

#38 Drewstang

Drewstang

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Full Name:Andrew Vogt

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:14 AM

Guys, the 10 holes were available on LX models from 87-93 so they are correct for the kit. I had a 93 LX hatchback that came with 10 holes. The 16" Pony wheels and high back (GT style) seats were part of an optional package.

I've had more coupes than I care to remember and paid a ton of money for inacurate resin bodies over the years. I'm glad to see Revell listened and actually did an all new kit instead of borrowing parts from the old 93 Cobra / GT Covertable kits from the 80's. I'd like to see them do a LX Hatchback body and interior, and eventually a GT / 93 Cobra kit.

Here's a pic of my 91 I did a resto on after a fire:

Posted Image

Edited by Drewstang, 26 October 2012 - 04:18 AM.

#39 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,463 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

Can't wait to get some of these kits, would like to replicate the 89 notch i use to have.

Little OffTopic, but needs to ask: Have you tried how it runs on Drag Strip?

Those are very popular Drag Cars, so I will pick one up for sure.

#40 Scuderia

Scuderia

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Full Name:Lawrence Greene

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

With this one coming to life any word from you resin casters as far as popping some of the 'pony' wheels? I know for myself i have only ONE set on hand and would buy at least 5 more cars worth. Missing Link has them out of production, with no plans for revival. I emailed this week about it.

Posted Image