No plastic 2014 Stingray kits? Could it be?

• You cannot reply to this topic
68 replies to this topic

#41 keyser

keyser

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Location:Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch TX
  • Full Name:CGB Lee Spender

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

Maisto has awesome dc '14 C7 coupe and cvt out. Better than nothing, and ready for shelf. Several colors for both, kits at HL about $13.50 with coupon. 

Still want Z06 kit though, coupe and convert. 

#42 always painting

always painting

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Full Name:Paul tirella

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:15 PM

Car is sick I see them all over in every color out here in cali

#43 vairnut

vairnut

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Shreve

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

Just got the maisto 1/18 diecast and it is pretty nice. Will modify it a little to match the development vehicle I posted pics of. Never been a fan of the real cars until this C7. Most comfortable car I have ever driven - feels and sticks like it's 1000 lbs lighter than the C6 and all others. The diecast will have to do for now - but this car needs to be kitted. Everything else in it's class costs at least 50% more, and as a daily driver I get 28 - 30 mpg every tank with it ( only do a couple way more than needed accels a day though ).  

#44 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

So, I was at my LHS yesterday afternoon discussing some of the upcoming releases, and got what I hope is an inaccurate update on 2014 Stingray models. According to what he has been told, GM has given licensing for 2014 Stingray replicas to a manufacturer of only diecast vehicles. Has anybody else heard anything of the like?

I did see something the other day about Bob's listing 2014 promos, but did not mention manufacturer or media...

I am ok with diecast, but plastic is certainly my poison of choice....

A couple of things here:   For starters, I'm not at all sure that your hobby shop's owner is truly privy to such inside information--issues such as this one are not often (if ever) mentioned outside model (or diecast) manufacturer's offices, until such time as something definite has been finalized.  

Second, and I suggest more important:  GM has a reputation in the model and toy industry of being very particular, to the point of being rather demanding of model and toy companies that miniatures (or model kits) of GM cars are accurately done, and in the case of any Corvette--that is one of General Motors absolute "signature" cars--they get even more picky with a new model kit of any Vette.

I'm willing to bet (even though I have no inside information whatsoever as to any such kit in the planning) that there will be a plastic promo of the C7 Corvette, and more than likely a model kit of it as well--it could well be in development as I write this, just not yet announced even to the hobby industry.

Art

#45 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:19 PM

Want a promo of both the coupe and convertible when they show up. I'm always more interested in promos rather than kits when it comes to new Corvettes. I have been that way since the 84's came out. I have promos of Vettes before '84. But, building kits of post '82 Vettes just doesn't do it for me. And I don't know why? I love the new 2014 Corvettes. And I'm waiting for the promos.

Scott Aho

#46 keyser

keyser

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Location:Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch TX
  • Full Name:CGB Lee Spender

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:25 PM

If the Raptor Snap is any indication, they'll be out in '17. Get'em when they're hot.

Box art will be  NEW '14 Corvette. 

C7-R should be ready 10 months later. 

Had my Maisto 1/24 convertible about 7 months now. 

Glad GM is particular, someone needs to be.

#47 robertw

robertw

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:15 AM

To go back to the original question.

When I first received my email from Bob's Promotional cars regarding the C7 Corvettes I asked him if they were plastic and in a return message, but without giving any further details he confirmed that they were. I quess we'll have to wait and see but his web site continues to say that they will be available by early fall.

#48 lordairgtar

lordairgtar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:10 PM

I've built a couple more than you over the years- maybe 4 or 5 more- and I think the '67s and '57's are pretty neat, but otherwise... Nah, no thanks.  The mark has been around since '53- that's 61 model years- and they still don't have "America's Sports Car" down pat.

So, in your opinion, what would be an "American Sports Car" be like...or what would it have that the Corvettes do not? That seems to be an ethereal thing. American Sports cars ran the gamut from Mercer Raceabouts and Stutz Bearcats to Kaiser Darrins to 55,56,57 T-Birds to Muntz Jets to AMC AMXs. Might even consider an Excalibur a sports car if bought in the two seater configuration. How about a Studebaker Avanti?

Edited by lordairgtar, 17 June 2014 - 01:17 PM.

#49 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

So, in your opinion, what would be an "American Sports Car" be like...or what would it have that the Corvettes do not? That seems to be an ethereal thing. American Sports cars ran the gamut from Mercer Raceabouts and Stutz Bearcats to Kaiser Darrins to 55,56,57 T-Birds to Muntz Jets to AMC AMXs. Might even consider an Excalibur a sports car if bought in the two seater configuration. How about a Studebaker Avanti?

Avanti seats four. More of a GT than a sports car.

Scott

#50 thatz4u

thatz4u

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Full Name:Al Rich

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:52 AM

if they did kit the 2014 Corvette, GM would find a way to recall it......... :D LOL

#51 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,218 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

if they did kit the 2014 Corvette, GM would find a way to recall it......... :D LOL

Ok, that was a good one  :lol:

#52 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

Maybe they'll wait to release it in '15 due to quality issues like 30 years ago.
?!

#53 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

I too, like this one!

Scott

#54 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,612 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

Don't give them any more ideas....

I think Revell should recall their snap kits for the plastic used in them, but that aside, they're actually very nice kits.

Charlie Larkin

#55 dimaxion

dimaxion

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Full Name:John JR. Landgraver

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:00 AM

I've been a Corvette Builder since 1958 . When I got back into the Model Car Hobby in 1984 , I decided to rebuild the string . I sold out in 1979 . It was tough to do this . By 2000 I had rebuilt the string . Hang onto my Hat ! Revelle took over the 1/25 Scale . BTW , the same folks that believe only Hot Rods sell . I do not fit this mold of Customer . I build Factory Stock . For instance ; Henry J - Willys '41) Coupe - etc. there are many more including especially re-pops . The same People that declare on the Instruction Sheet : "Discard extra leftover parts ." I knew immediately my string would be broken soon . As a result , I do not continue as there are missing MY's . I stop at 2006 - 2007 is a Promo . Not the same detail as my kit build ups . so ; 208 -m 2009 - 2010- 2011 2013 - 2014 don't count as I am unable to find these . I do build strings . America's Sport Car I am proud to collect . Vipers are in my mix too and I am disgusted I am not able to have one of a new generation . . I do not qualify as a GM goober smoocher . In fact , I am less so every year . I worked for them directly or indirectly for GM most of my 35 + years I worked in the Automotive Field . A portion of this time , spent with all other makes combined with the General's works . The other 10 was spent Driving 18 Wheelers , yes some of the Generals Finest too . I am again disappointed with no 2014 , Revelle , and GM . To put it mildly . So you may think Revelle would not be able to sell some of the Automotive Oddballs I have mentioned ? May I just say : Mobious ? Hudsons ? The "Red Headed Step Child" from Mother MoPar . The Chrysler Letter Cars . Then in the same breath , I wonder why the Ralphie Centuries did not make the Grade to be Kitted ? I believe I know .. Thanx ..

Edited by dimaxion, 25 June 2014 - 04:12 AM.

#56 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

I've been a Corvette Builder since 1958 . When I got back into the Model Car Hobby in 1984 , I decided to rebuild the string . I sold out in 1979 . It was tough to do this . By 2000 I had rebuilt the string . Hang onto my Hat ! Revelle took over the 1/25 Scale . BTW , the same folks that believe only Hot Rods sell . I do not fit this mold of Customer . I build Factory Stock . For instance ; Henry J - Willys '41) Coupe - etc. there are many more including especially re-pops . The same People that declare on the Instruction Sheet : "Discard extra leftover parts ." I knew immediately my string would be broken soon . As a result , I do not continue as there are missing MY's . I stop at 2006 - 2007 is a Promo . Not the same detail as my kit build ups . so ; 208 -m 2009 - 2010- 2011 2013 - 2014 don't count as I am unable to find these . I do build strings . America's Sport Car I am proud to collect . Vipers are in my mix too and I am disgusted I am not able to have one of a new generation . . I do not qualify as a GM goober smoocher . In fact , I am less so every year . I worked for them directly or indirectly for GM most of my 35 + years I worked in the Automotive Field . A portion of this time , spent with all other makes combined with the General's works . The other 10 was spent Driving 18 Wheelers , yes some of the Generals Finest too . I am again disappointed with no 2014 , Revelle , and GM . To put it mildly . So you may think Revelle would not be able to sell some of the Automotive Oddballs I have mentioned ? May I just say : Mobious ? Hudsons ? The "Red Headed Step Child" from Mother MoPar . The Chrysler Letter Cars . Then in the same breath , I wonder why the Ralphie Centuries did not make the Grade to be Kitted ? I believe I know .. Thanx ..

What!? I don't understand just about anything you said here, John. The only thing I could make out is you may have directly or indirectly worked for GM, and you started building Corvettes back in 1958 (kits, full size, what?). What does "rebuilding the string" mean? There are other parts of this posting that left me confused. What are "Ralphie Centuries" for example? And what is a "GM goober smoocher"? Was this posting written is some kind of code? It wasn't written in a form of English I understand.

Scott

#57 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

Goober Smoocher = Brown Noser

I could use another term, but this is a family board! ;)

#58 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,000 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

Ralphie Centuries?

#59 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,072 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

Maybe he can provide a formatted English translation...it's a pretty incoherent post.

#60 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

Oh I dunno, guys, just dig through it some:

“I’ve been a Corvette builder since 1958 – in fact, I went through the entire string of  Corvette model years till I had to sideline from the hobby for a while in 1979 and sold ‘em all out.  When I got back into the hobby in 1984, I decided to rebuild that string, and I finally got it back up to speed in 2000 – and uh-oh, hang onto my hat, Revell’s pretty much taken over 1/25 scale by then!

Yeah, the same manufacturer that seems to believe only hot rods sell – can’t say I fit that mold.  I build factory stock.  So the Henry J, Willys ’41 coupe for example, and many more especially including reissues - no stock versions, nothing for me, just old rods from a manufacturer declares on the instruction sheet, “Discard extra parts.”   

And if these are the people running the 1/25 game, I knew my model year string wouldn’t go much further. Sure enough, had to stop ‘round 2006 – only a promo was available for 2007, lacking the same detail as my other built-ups.  So 2008, 2009, ’10, ’11, ’12, ’13, ’14 – don’t count ‘cause I can’t find ‘em.   And being proud to collect America’s sports car, I’d be happy to finish that string.

Not to say I’m a GM goober-smoocher – less so every year in fact.  Got Vipers in the mix, pretty disgusted I can’t have a new-generation kit.   I did work directly or indirectly for GM, most of the 35+ years I spent in the automotive field, but I also spent a fair portion of that time with other makes.  Spent another ten driving 18-wheelers - yes, some of the General’s finest, too.

Upshot?  I’m again disappointed with Revell’s utter lack of ’14 GMs, to put it mildly.  But for those of you who think Revell wouldn’t be able to sell some of the automotive oddballs I’ve mentioned, may I just say one word:

Moebius. 

Hudsons, anybody?  That “red-headed step child” from Mother Mopar, the Chrysler letter cars?  And then – in the very same breath – I wonder why certain Buicks haven’t made the grade to be kitted…

No GM. Again.  Hmm.  I believe I might know after all. Thanx…”

Now I gotta cop to a W-A G on "Ralphie Centuries" - Ralphie from Stephen King's Storm Of The Century - ? "Give me what I want and I'll go away"?

That's the only "Ralphie Centuries" google reference, but if you treat "Century" as a Buick, you can bend it all back to a "No GM" context.

85%, anyway?