Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Chevelle SS 396 Z-16 (Under Glass 7-July-15)

taaron76

that's a great looking engine.

one small tidbit for ya, there would only be one PCV valve (and hose) on the engine. I notice you have a hose going to each valve cover, usually one of them would be the PCV valve and hose, the other hose going to a valve cover would be a fresh air line that gets connected to the bottom or side of the air cleaner or in some high-performance cases a small K-N filter is attached to the valve cover as a fresh air inlet.

that's a great looking engine.

one small tidbit for ya, there would only be one PCV valve (and hose) on the engine. I notice you have a hose going to each valve cover, usually one of them would be the PCV valve and hose, the other hose going to a valve cover would be a fresh air line that gets connected to the bottom or side of the air cleaner or in some high-performance cases a small K-N filter is attached to the valve cover as a fresh air inlet.

Thanks, Mike. I saw so many different configurations for the PCV and vacuum lines between the '65 - '67 range that I went was the most common. The '65 did have the hose going to the breather, while the '66 and '67 didn't. I think I looked at over 1000 pics to finally come up with what I wanted. I'm not too heart broken over it though.

Tim

Great job! But I hope you don't mind a helpful comment. You forgot rule #1 in building. I think you can fix it still. You did not sand away the lettering from the maker on the chassis. Stands out like a sore thumb on a great build.

Bruce

Bruce - I learn something new everyday. Lol. Never thought to do that. I'll add it to my checklist for future builds. Thanks!

Tim

I sprayed the base coat over a month ago and finally got around to shooting some clear tonight. 5 coats of Tamiya acrylic clear... the usual. Some dust here and there, but nothing that can't be buffed out. Now to let it dry for a good 10-14 days, but the first 24 hours it stays in the dehydrator. Metallic black is the base coat...

BodyCC1-vi.jpg

Here is the rolling chassis, complete with all the brake lines ran and everything else zipped up.

ChassisC1-vi.jpg

ChassisC2-vi.jpg

ChassisC4-vi.jpg

ChassisC3-vi.jpg

Outstanding Tim. Sorry I havent been on much lately, have had one busy start to the summer so far. I finally got the chance to come on and check out your progress. All I can say is fantastic work on the chassis and the mock up sure tells this is gonna be a show-stopper.