Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Chevelle SS 396 Z-16 (Under Glass 7-July-15)

taaron76

Finally got around to starting on the interior. The plan was a two-tone gray and to finally give flocking a shot. Overall, I think it came out pretty good and is fairly easy to use. I picked up a couple of things that will help me on my next one. The only thing I might change is the color of the seats. I might either paint them black, or a light gray than what they are.

I still have loads of detailing to do like the door panels and the second half of the dash, but heres where I'm at so far.

Tim

Int1-vi.jpg

Int2-vi.jpg

Int3-vi.jpg

Well dog gone it Tim, I knew there was something I was supposed to be doing this week.... Now see.. you should have reminded me.. I was supposed to do a write up on my interior flocking for ya.. Darn.. Sorry buddy.. Well, from the looks of it, you figured it out anyways. From what I see it turned out just fine my friend. Sometimes ya gotta give this old brain's memory a jolt to get it to remember anything these days lol.

But seriously, Nice work Tim.

Jim - no problem at all, and I know you are pretty busy. I tested a few types of glue and couldn't get them to work the way I wanted them to, so I just sprayed the area with paint from the airbrush and flocked it, let it dry and dusted it off. Seemed to work ok, just not sure if I like the color of the seats which is why I might go lighter or darker... not sure yet.

Tim

Well you did it correctly my friend. That's pretty much the way I do it. Just remember flat colored paints close to the same color as the flocking work best. Gloss or semi-gloss colors tend to show through the flocking.

I matched the flocking material to flat paint and put it on kind of heavy and then flocked it. Seemed to work out ok... I did a trial run with glue on a piece of cardboard and I didn't like it, so gave the paint option a try.

Tim

Put some overtime in getting the interior finished, minus the seat belts... waiting on parts to come it.

I drilled the gauges out and glued styrene behind the holes to give the decals a nice flat surface. Borrowed this idea from Joe (mustang1989) when he was building his Charger. I also BMF's the pedals.

Dash1-vi.jpg

Dash2-vi.jpg

Of course it wouldn't be right without a functional glove box, right?

Dash3-vi.jpg

Dash4-vi.jpg

I wanted to add some more color to the interior, so I decided on black in a few places here and there.

IntF3-vi.jpg

IntF1-vi.jpg

Edited by taaron76

A few rear suspension updated. I removed the lower control arms from the axle and mounted them with pins so that the suspension would travel. The front part of the lower control arms will be mounted to the frame with scale bolts and nuts, they just haven't arrived yet. Rear suspension is ready to be painted now. The upper control arms will be mounted and assembled the same way as the lower control arms. I also started running the fuel line...

Tim

Molded lower control arms.

Rear1-vi.jpg

The control arms are pinned here to allow travel.

Rear2-vi.jpg

Here are the rear suspension mocked up with pins, minus the upper control arms... and paint of course.

Rear3-vi.jpg

Rear4-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

After two weeks of vacation and a busy week, I figured three weeks was long enough to stay away from the '65. I got some more of the engine detailing done tonight, finally. I still have to run the vacuum lines, water lines and throttle cables, but there is always tomorrow. I had to make a bracket for the alternator since I used aftermarket pulleys, which was a little tricky. The hardest part was running the fuel lines to the Holley 750. I cut the fuel filter line a little short and had to do something a tad different, but I think it worked out ok. Loads more to do still...

Tim

EngAc1-vi.jpg

EngAc2-vi.jpg

EngAc3-vi.jpg

Some more updates, here and there... slowly but surely.

Finally got the trunk flocked and added the stock wheel that came with the Z-16 as a spare.

Trunk4-vi.jpg

Here is a shot of the wheels prior to shooting them with metallizer gun metal and then with some clear.

WheelsBefore-vi.jpg

... and after.

Wheels2-vi.jpg

Wheels1-vi.jpg

Nice progress Tim. I've been swamped with things to do around here myself the past few weeks and haven't had any bench time on the 2 nova builds or even time to get on the site. But after this weekend I hope to finally be able to get some time back for me. lol

Hi Tim. I'm in the midst of doing my first opening door/trunk job. A '69 Plymouth GTX pro street kit. I will keep an eye on yours and see how we both progress. Best wishes, Sean :) Oh, I will have WIP pictures up soon.

Nice progress Tim. I've been swamped with things to do around here myself the past few weeks and haven't had any bench time on the 2 nova builds or even time to get on the site. But after this weekend I hope to finally be able to get some time back for me. lol

Hi Tom, I figured you were busy. I've got another week vacation coming up on the 4th of July, so I'm trying to get as much in as possible. Can't wait to see more updates on your Nova's when you get some bench time.

Tim

Hi Tim. I'm in the midst of doing my first opening door/trunk job. A '69 Plymouth GTX pro street kit. I will keep an eye on yours and see how we both progress. Best wishes, Sean :) Oh, I will have WIP pictures up soon.

Hi Sean, just be patient. This was my first one too, but I did a lot of reading and lots of pic surfing. I'm having lots of fun with this one, stretching the boundaries a little. Thanks, and I'll be looking out for yours!

Tim