Model Cars Magazine Forum

1400 mile 1974 Ford LTD Country Squire (Sorry, couldn't find the station wagon thread)

It is cool that finds like this still  exist!  The price isn't too out of this world considering that it's in the mid range of new car prices today, and this in fact is a new car!   I wouldn't mind having it, but with the miles where they're at, I'd be afraid to drive it!   

Hey you found the good ole' Family Truckster...'Very cool wagon.I always like station wagons,ever since I was a little kid.In fact,the very first car I ever drove,was my mothers 73 AMC Ambassador station wagon,with a 390ci.under the hood.It was like a goldish color,with fake wood panels,similar to this one.The only problem,was that I really must of hit the gas going around a sorta sharp turn,too hard.The car spun around,went sliding through some small bushes,and ended up on top of some guys fence.But there wasn't a scratch on,and I never told my mom,to this day.Needless to say,I allowed my friend to drive the car back home for me..Anyway,I just always liked that car...And it was heavy,yes,but it was powerful,& fast.....Go sTaTiOn wAgOnS.!!!.B)

That car is a combination of 2 cars my Dad had. He had a 69 CS in that odd green colour and he had a 74 In blue. Learning how to drive in that 74 was like learning to drive while piloting the USS Enterprise. When you were backing up there was a whole lot of car behind you. :lol:

Come on guys!  Back in high school (class of '76) we HATED big station wagons!  Those who drove them were at the bottom of the social status. Showing up in a car like this meant you didn't have your own wheels, and borrowed mom's car!   And those with ten year old wagons had the family's hand me down wagon as their first car!   They weren't cool by any stretch of the imagination.

Give it 40 years and we're all sloppy nostalgic for them!  :lol:

Yeah, class of '88 here...when I was in high school I did know a few kids driving their folks wagons ('80s GM b-bodies mostly) or a hand-me-down late '70s wagons (again, mostly GM b-bodies)..they weren't considered cool cars then.   

Edited by Rob Hall

There is a certain subset of collectors who will fight each other tooth and nail (or checkbook and platinum card) at auction for very-low-mileage cars even if the car itself isn't too exciting a model. Key term being "at auction". If this had been consigned to some vintage car dealer at that price, I bet it would have sat for a long time.

We had a 73 LTD 2dr. Darker green exterior, but the interior was exactly like this one. It had the 400 as well, but didn't have the oil filter hanging off the air cleaner. Would lay rubber an inch thick and a block long. I think dad traded it for a 78 Tbird around 83 or so.

Drooooooolll..... sucks it has a 400 but its still awesome!

What would you rather have ? :blink:  mump_0308_06_%2Bcorrect_mustang_engine_p

Mmmmm, smell that new car smell ? :) CA15_r0266_05-700x467.jpg

Oh yes, Fords in these year models had a very distinctive new car smell that seemed to last forever. I think it was the vinyl that they used. Very nice find.

Come on guys!  Back in high school (class of '76) we HATED big station wagons!  Those who drove them were at the bottom of the social status. Showing up in a car like this meant you didn't have your own wheels, and borrowed mom's car!   And those with ten year old wagons had the family's hand me down wagon as their first car!   They weren't cool by any stretch of the imagination.

Give it 40 years and we're all sloppy nostalgic for them!  :lol:

back in 85 a friend had a '71 CS in HS but it had the good 429 in it. 10:1 comp stock, DOVE heads, C6, Towing package with a 3:25 locker. Badass car. 

Very nice. 

170-Horsepower 400. Ah, the good old days of emissions strangulation. Still had plenty of torque, though.

I'd happily have that in my garage, and yeah, I wouldn't drive it too much, that's an archival car and needs to stay this way.

Charlie Larkin

Back in the mid 70s there was a made for TV movie starring Barbara Feldon and Barbara Eden.They played friends who switched lives for a time.Barbara Eden drove an E Type Jaguar,Barbara Feldon drove a Country Squire of similar vintage to this one.Upon switching cars the first thing Barbara Eden said when driving the Ford was "It's like driving the Queen Mary".