Model Cars Magazine Forum

NOMAD WHEELSTANDER - Belated Christmas - 1/13/16

So if the front suspension uses leaf springs, are radius rods needed?  I thought the leaf springs located the axle so radius rods were not needed.  However, I am not a n authority on suspensions . Nice tie rods, btw.  

I'm no expert either Chris. I have seen them used with a single spring straight axle, but here's my main reasoning. This is going to be a HighBoy in every sense of the word. Therefore, again my reasoning, taller wheelstands equals higher G-Force on landing. They are more for stability than anything else.

Unfortunately, right or wrong, I glued the last spindle tube on the axle, so it's not coming apart again. I know because I did a test piece, then tried to take it apart. It was destroyed in the attempt.

Joe.... You are making some good progress on this build and it's looking good. Nice work buddy.

How would you know what progress looks like? BAZINGA!!!!!! That was too good to pass up Brother. Hope you had a great Holiday weekend Buddy.

Joe, that's some very nice looking hardware you're mounting / building together.  You've managed new territory very well and the metal bits and pieces really add quality in my opinion.  Nice scratch building and keep up the good work.

Here comes some more of that stuff Michael. Actually, the hardest part has been changing my 62 year old mind set from plastic to metal. The rewards are starting to show.

I sincerely hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday.

It gave me the time and motivation to get the front end done. It still needs bolt and bracket trimming and final assembly of the tie rod, so we'll call this the final mockup.

Yes, I still need to make shocks, but I'll do that after I get the rear axle done. That's next.

20151130_174548.thumb.jpg.038aae7d7290f120151130_174619.thumb.jpg.750b9160f5068720151130_174743.thumb.jpg.ec7ed546100a9020151130_174916.thumb.jpg.1abc44fabad07f20151130_175025.thumb.jpg.cb630383807a5d20151130_175035.thumb.jpg.988a3f5692c70d

Oh yea. That came out great Joe. Looks mighty fine sitting up there in the air. As you say, it takes a different mindset to work with a new material and it looks like you made the switch quite easily. Congrats. Hope your turkey day wasn't filled with too much stuffing.

Well, I'm always up to my tukas in alligators on the first of the month, but I managed to do some interweb searches and picked up a drill press at Home Depot. It's a Ryobi that cost $129.00.

While I now need a work bench / table for it and the other tools I plan to acquire, I hope to get it unboxed tomorrow even though I'll have to set it up on the photography table for now.

My next items will be a saw, a lathe and a polisher / grinder.

20151202_202627.thumb.jpg.aaa1aa030c17b2

• 2 weeks later...

To say I wasn't prepared to start metal work would be an understatement. However, I'm taking steps to remedy that. For starters, I got the bench assembled. It was $159.00 at Harbor Frieght. Lucky me, it goes on sale later this month for $139.00.

The next step on the Nomad is the rear axle. The entire reason for getting the drill press is to do the studs in the hub of the rotor. Now I have to figure out how to clamp an item smaller than a dime to the table. I feel like I've brought a cannon to a derringer duel. I did get a drill press vise that will bolt to the table, now I need to figure out what to clamp in the vise to hold the rotor. Any recommendations? I saw an X / Y Axis clamp for the MicroLux Drill on MicroMark. Since it costs as much as the drill, is it the right way to go? John, Chris, Tim, Brad, anybody, feel free to chime in.

As soon as I figure it out, I'll get back on it.

20151217_225502.thumb.jpg.24edd3e21fd87520151217_231537.thumb.jpg.9915e80eba574620151217_231544.thumb.jpg.5de8dfe9016a7c

Hey Joe, I'll take a pic or two of my drill press................it's a derringer.    Oh, and you've discovered the "dirty little secret" of machining.  The cost of a lathe, mill, press or whatever is only the beginning....it's all the accessories you'll find yourself needing (WANTING is more like it) that can drive the cost up substantially.  But once you get started, you can rationalize anything.  ;)   Cheers, Tim

When we last came to a screeching halt, I was trying to figure out how to drill a 1/25th aluminum brake rotor for stud insertion.

Thanx to Tim, I'll more than likely be getting an X Y Press Table soon, then I'll be back in business.

Enjoy your holidays everyone and May The Force Be With Y'all.

Joe that's looks like a "workable-type" hobby room.  I like. 

Hey, it's even next to the kitchen....read coffee and such.

Now, if ya tell me the terrace is just off the kitchen (grilled steaks and chicken?)  I'll puke.  I'd realize I need another life to do as good.  lol.

My sincerest wishes that all of my modeling compatriots had a great Christmas and look forward to a Happy New 2016. Or in the case of the next GSL, 2017.

Michael, I don't have a terrace. I do however, have a barbeque. It came with the pool.

I've been hip deep in hobby room improvements. I put up a pegboard for the tools I'll be needing and I've replaced the drill press table vice with an X Y Milling Vice. I also have a florescent lite to hang and a protective taple top for the bench. The bench top has peg holes that would allow shavings & debris to fall into the drawers.

Doncha' hate it when shavings & debris fall into your drawers? You'll see I also picked up some light reading.

Finally, it's time to shoot a little recognition to someone who exemplifies what we all expect, but seldom see in this hobby. Most of you know that I fight depression on a daily basis. On one of my worst days I got a letter from the Grand Puba and Supreme Overlord of the GSL, Mark Gustavson. It was simply a letter of apology and a refund check for a pre-paid book I had ordered along with my registration, to tell me the book wasn't available. To remind me that there is still good in the world, I framed the check and letter for inspirational purposes. I also have a plaque with a quote from Mark Twain. "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow just as well."

Having said that, I'll spend the weekend doing all of that stuff, watching football and I hope to be back to building shortly thereafter. 

See you all again soon.

20151231_130726.thumb.jpg.830981f5b96b8b20151221_172223.thumb.jpg.aab5fa6b240cce20151231_050514.thumb.jpg.a40489893df27920151223_203628_001.thumb.jpg.0570cdb918

Wow! Looks like you got the tools to build pretty much anything you want. And I'm sure you'll do great work with all of those machines. I can't wait to see more work with this Chevy, it's coming together so nicely. Great job on that hobby room too!

And Happy New Year to you and your family!

I've never seen it either so while the car was out and we were testing cylinder leakage I decided to drive it a bit. I bet I would have had some major traction problems if I hammered the throttle as it was slippery with my Chevy S10 too even if it has proper winter tires on it.:D I wish neighbors weren't living so close to our garage as I'm not sure if they appreciate the V8 rumble on a quiet day....

• 2 weeks later...

This should be the final "hobby room related" post before I get back to work on the Nomad.

With the understanding of all of my loved ones, I had to delay Christmas to January. One of my projects was to do a few "Build A Bear" Minions. The eight of them will be getting costumes, but I won't show them in case a nosey GrandBrat checks my posts.

I also had to replace a dropped display case for a model I did for my Great Niece a couple of years ago. She aspires to be an exotic animal veteranarian.

Also, for the son of some very dear friends, I am building a Moebius Batman Tumbler. It will get a camo paint job and the display case background will be the warehouse that Bruce and Lucius took a "test drive" in. It's currently a mass of parts in need of minor clean up. Very nice, flash free parts Moebius. Kudos & Thank You.

So, I'm getting there. Here's proof.

20160106_115009.thumb.jpg.ad25f7dc179e5a20160106_115022.thumb.jpg.3310752b7b8e9e20160106_115031.thumb.jpg.7d3103e3b7ecc620160113_183718.thumb.jpg.39ef04bfb1492120160113_183730.thumb.jpg.8f2939e041cf9820160113_183742.thumb.jpg.eb854c5ed6331720160113_183817.thumb.jpg.2aec6e89ade1e120160113_183939.thumb.jpg.350de7c5c3eb0e

Edited by Nytrozilla