Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fine point paint marker?

I use a Pilot brand extra fine point marker. I just picked up a new one today at Hobby Lobby for $3.49 without a coupon. It lasts quite a while and is also great for touching up chrome where the sprew connected and chipped the chrome when it was cut off. 

Edited by my66s55

Silver Sharpie, sold 2 or 4 to a pack, in the same section of Walmart where the rest of the pens and markers are. They are simply wonderful. Been using them for about 5 or 6 years now and have worn out at least half a dozen. For some things, there just is no easier, faster, cheaper, or frankly BETTER way to get the job done.

Thanks guys, this information is very helpful! I'm actually wanting them to paint the raised areas on vector wheels. I plan on shooting the wheel semi gloss black and then using the marker to paint the raised areas, silver.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been playing around with the idea of empty paint markers.  Since I work at an art store I have access to these http://www.molotow.com/products/marker-ink/empty-pump-marker-system/. The smallest offered is 2mm. They have a hard felt tip on them.  the kicker is the nibs are removable/replaceable and they have smaller nibs that are available in 1.5mm and 1mm, they can be swapped out. I have used them with both FW Liquid Acrylic Inks and Golden's High flow acrylics with no problems. I am going to fill one up with some Tamiya acrylics and use the 1mm technical nib to see how they work. I assume they would work with enamels too, however I think they would dry up a lot quicker. The pens run about $4 for the empties, while 2 pack of the nibs was about $3. I had to buy the nibs from someplace else. I got them from http://artprimo.com/catalog/markers-empty-markers-c-28_76.html.

This reminds me of something i saw on TV and forgot to research, now I can't remember the commercial.  I think it was an investment company and they were printing on a yellow wall with a chrome marker. The chrome was so shinny you could see their reflection in it.  

Anyone remember the commercial and know what they were using?