Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '29A HIGHBOY Hot Rod Roadster QuickBuild UPDATE #4 - Final Photos of Completed Kit and My Final Thoughts

tim boyd

Looks great, Tim.  Great job on the build!  I am almost afraid to post my work after seeing this.  I will get back to mine tonight.  I think I will go for a box stock one, but with the "A" chassis instead.  That way we can check out both major versions of the kit.  (I am still going to test fit some  other motors.)  I have the camera working again, and I hope I can bust loose for some time at the bench this weekend.  I do see the slight funkiness in the exhaust, but everything else looks spot on.  

Dave....looking forward to seeing yours...particularly since you are building the other version.  Cheers...TIM 

I just wish I could get my hands on one right now. No one in the Austin area has the kit. I talked to a hobby shop owner in PA who told me about Revell's "Preferred Partners". I called that shop to buy one over the phone and get overnight shipping, so I could work on it this weekend. Overnight shipping is 32 bucks. I'll hold out.

I wonder if Tamiya's Jaguar 3.8L inline six will fit in between the firewall and radiator. If not, it's early hemi time.

not all the preferred partners have them yet either, our local one wasn't sure what I was talking about, (they must be on automatic orders for the preferred partners) it wasn't an R/C airplane so I had to be very precise when I asked about it.

I bought 2 at the hobby shop on East Cypress last week....is that who you asked?

geez Tim that was fast, nice colour combo and review.

looking forward to this kit, waiting to see what the aftermarket companies produce too. 

I am thinking hi-boy with Cadillac motor, the Nailhead will be going into a 32. Lo-boy with replicas and miniatures flathead and SCOT blower, so may ideas.

question 1.  is there any standard nailhead exhaust manifolds available?

question 2. Is it possible to fit the body to full fenders?

I have used the simple headers found in various AMT '39/'40 Ford kits, notably the Tudor Sedan and the Coca-Cola version of the Coupe. These are not standard headers. I suspect stock style headers can be found in various AMT Buick Riviera kits. Here's one application in a Deuce where I was tight for space due to the hood sides:

DSCF106-web.jpg

Regarding a full-fendered version, the 1/25th scale source for fenders would be the AMT '29 Ford Roadster kit. At a minimum, the fenders wouldn't fit due to the raised rear fender openings on the new Revell body which would require filling the resultant gap. A far simpler approach is to work directly from the AMT kit and adapt various suspension, motor, interior, etc. parts from the Revell kit.

Edited by Bernard Kron

geez Tim that was fast, nice colour combo and review.

looking forward to this kit, waiting to see what the aftermarket companies produce too. 

I am thinking hi-boy with Cadillac motor, the Nailhead will be going into a 32. Lo-boy with replicas and miniatures flathead and SCOT blower, so may ideas.

Martin....I like the Caddy idea...a great swap given the vibe of this kit.  

Question 1: For standard exhaust manifolds, go with the AMT/Ertl '66 Buick Riviera kit first tooled around 1999,,,either the stock or low rider kits should work.  As you can see from the picture below, it's a nearly perfect match in terms of exhaust port spacing (meaning it shares the slight inaccuracy in port spacing documented in the other Forum thread on this kit).   DSC 0567

Question 2:  I didn't try the body on the AMT '29A fenders, but the bodies are virtually identical except for the raised rear wheel wells of the Revell body.  That pretty much means that there would be a big gap between the Revell body wheel openings and the AMT fenders.  (Revell kit on the left, AMT on the right in the image below) 

DSC 0550

More to the point, it does appear that the new Revell Z'ed chassis will adapt to the AMT fenders with relatively minor mods (thin or remove the Revell frame horns, cut a space in the AMT floorboard under the rumble seat to allow space for the Z'ed portion of the chassis.  I don't know how the Revell suspension stance works with the AMT fenders, though.  So basically, a rod with the AMT body and AMT fenders, and the entire chassis from the Revell kit, appears to be a fairly easy kitbash.  Yes, this one is on my build list, for sure!    

Norm Veber is working on aftermarket parts for this kit, but he is so busy filling existing orders (and that has to be his priority), that he has not been able to devote as much time to developing parts for this new kit as he had hoped.  Patience, patience!  

Thanks for the feedback...TIM  

UPDATE - I see Bernard also responded, and his post appeared before mine.  Good info in his as well.  TB 

Edited by tim boyd
Update text based on additional info

First of all, a pure OOB build is exactly what every new release requires, especially important all-new kits like this one. Reporting succinctly and clearly on the details and approach taken by the kit designers, as you have done in the linked Fotki pages you've included, gives us a clear view of the kit really offers. For this a huge Thanx!!!, Tim.

Secondly, your review shows what a crisply detailed and modern kit this is. Like you there are aspects of the kit that are not to my liking, including the contemporary rear suspension and the stance issues you mention in your review, but I can't think of a single model car kit I've ever built that made me want to build it exactly as the manufacturer supplied it. Frankly these "shortcomings", unless they place making "my" version completely out of reach, have never dissuaded me purchasing a well engineered and conceived kit of a subject I wanted to model. To a traditional hot rod modeler like me this kit screams "buy me" and will join the venerable Revell Deuces among my bread and butter "stash kits".

As I followed through your review it occurred to me what a brilliant donor kit this is to build an "ideal" Deuce highboy by combining it with the original issue Revell kit for the body and main frame rails and the '29 for the chassis details, suspension, wheels, tires, front suspension mounts, headlamps and taillights (I love how thin they are).

Now for my aftermarket wishlist:

• Two piece headlamps with chromed rims and painted buckets.
  • Leaf spring rear suspension conversion kit.
  • Deuce grill shell kit
  • Highboy full hood kit (for either the stock shell or the above mentioned Deuce shell).

I hope we can see an OOB review/build up of the channeled version soon.

Bernard...I've been particularly interested in seeing your reaction, as I view you to be among the most prolific and creative builders of traditional hot rod models in our hobby right now.  Without reservation, I share your thoughts and enthusiasm for this new kit.  

That's a very cool aftermarket list.  As for the Deuce grille shell, I like, and regularly use, the setup from Model Car Garage.  Comes with a resin shell and photoetched grille.  Really nice, and not super expensive.  I think that some Nailhead engine accessories may already be under development in the aftermarket.  

Like you I would love to see a review of the Channeled version.  Depending on how quickly I can get my hands on a second kit, ,I may do this, or hopefully some one else on this Forum will beat me to it!  

Thanks again for the feedback, Bernard.  Needless to say, we can't wait to see what you do with the kit....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Thanks for the fast replies, interesting how the stock manifolds you show are close in measurement to the new headers but don't look odd. I wonder if you could "fudge" the headers by sectioning them through the middle and rejoining so that gap isn't so large? 

I also have a 28 Tudor body needing a chassis, SCORE!!!!

Edited by 59 Buick

Thanx Tim. I've been traveling this summer and won't be back to my bench until mid-September, at which time I've got some other projects in line before considering a build based on this new '29 From Revell. However, I figure I'll buy one to get some thoughts going about what best to do with it. I have a small stash of the AMT '29 Roadsters so my inclination will be towards getting the most out of a combination of the two, an exploration of your comment that the Revell kit comes close to being a double kit.

Along those lines, I think your OOB highboy build reveals that the raised rear wheel wells, easily the most controversial aspect of the new offering, is probably best suited for the channeled variant. The side view of your build shows that the enlarged arch of the Revell body shell only serves to emphasize the slab-sided "verticalness" of the '29, IMHO. So I figure I'll investigate using an AMT shell for the Deuce-railed highboy and build a Revell lowboy largely from the kit.

While, from a marketing perspective, the Nailhead assures maximum impact, from the point-of-view of someone who has already built far too many hot rods, the Buick is awfully stylized and I'll be inclined, as many others on this thread have already commented, to explore other motor options.

Regarding the hood sides/Deuce shell issue. Norm Veber already has such a combo included in his excellent '29 A transkit for the Revell Deuce. In the past I have been able to order the hood setup alone from him. The only downside is that they are almost completely smooth and lack any detail. But the fit to Norm's excellent aftermarket grille Deuce grill shell for the Model Car Garage p/e set is perfect. I have used this combo repeatedly, most successfully on my "Challenger" replica from the Deuce of Spades movie. Norm should be encouraged to add some detail to this part as a quick way to bring it to market. Here's what that combination looks like on the AMT '29 A shell (on Revell Deuce rails}: The louvers are raised resin decals from Archer.

DSCF3524-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Here are two ideas I've had for using the new Revell kit. First is what I believe to be the most beautiful contemporary-traditional rod ever built, the ultimate in Lobeck-style highboys, the fabulous Ed Pink '29A. I almost never build replicas, but I am tempted mightily by this one!:

0912sr_011929_ford_highboy_roadster.jpg

0912sr_051929_ford_highboy_roadster.jpg

The other is in the lowboy mode. When I was contemplating resuming car modeling some 8-9 years ago I was using photoshop to "model" cars I'd like to build. One I want very much to build and would be perfect for the lowboy side of the Revell kit is this one (showing 2 variants):

Edited by Bernard Kron

Tim, based on your photos, if someone was to add a hood and hood sides (notched to use the kit headers), the only thing that would obstruct that is the alternator. That sound right to you?

I found a great pic of a channeled track nose '29 roadster last night in a magazine. I'm hoping the hood from the Revell '29 pickup kit will fit this new body. 

Tim the way the filler for the wheel well fillers is designed you end up with a seam on the fender wells that doesn't exist on the actual cars. The same issue exists 8n the 32 fords. Do you see an easy way to get  rid of that seam?

Bob...I'm not sure I understand the question.  The mating surface between the fenderwells and the body tucks up under the body when viewed from the side, so you don't see itDSC 0681It would only be visible when looking at the model from the bottom.  In the image below, the mating seam is only seen just ahead of the driver's side rear tire, and for a small section behind the same tire.  If that's a concern, the seam could be puttied and sanded pretty easily before you paint it. DSC 0691.  But I'm thinking maybe I don't see what you are seeing.  Can you explain more?  (Sorry for being so clueless!)   TIM 

Tim, based on your photos, if someone was to add a hood and hood sides (notched to use the kit headers), the only thing that would obstruct that is the alternator. That sound right to you?

I found a great pic of a channeled track nose '29 roadster last night in a magazine. I'm hoping the hood from the Revell '29 pickup kit will fit this new body. 

Rob...the air cleaners would stick through the hood as well....and the front corners of the cylinder heads would probably impact the hood sides unless they were made of very thin styrene (or brass sheet). 

Now if you were to swap the six barrel setup for the dual quads in the AMT/Ertl 1966 Riviera kit, and use the stock exhaust manifolds from that same kit, you might be able to get a nearly full hood/hood sides to work (filing down the corners of those cylinder heads just a touch to boot), but you'd still need to deal with the alternator.  Maybe a swap with fan belt in the old AMT '40 Ford Trophy series, which mounts the unit up high (IIRC - did not look this up in the kit box) and out of the way of hood sides?  

The Revell pickup cab and bed should fit with relatively few changes (primarily, to adjust the pickup bed floor if needed to clear the rear chassis hump/suspension.  

In any case, good luck with the project, and please share photos when the time comes!  TIM

Tim any thoughts on what parts would work to get the second chassisto be used?

Bob...one of my first kitbashes will be to use the body from the AMT Trophy Series '27T Tub/Touring on the Channeled '29A frame.  I'll use the dropped front axle from that AMT '27T kit (which is really sweet, if not overly detailed), and the transverse leaf rear spring/differential/Model A rear crossmember from the Revell Roth Outlaw kit.  Since that has an early Banjo rear diff (not a quick change), the engine will be no bigger than a Flathead Ford V8 (maybe the unit from the Chopped '48 Ford convert, which has those awesome Navarro heads and intake manifold).  If the rear suspension interferes with the rear seat, I'll can the rear seat and put a tonneau cover over the back passenger compartment.  

How's that sound for a start?  

Best regards...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

The "seam" between the rear wheel-well fillers to the body, only visible from underneath the car, would very likely be present on a real '29 that had that wheelwell treatment.

The "seam" you can see from the side is the mating line between the chassis and the body. The rear rails are pinched in to allow a narrower rear track, with wider tires. The "seam" would be gasketed on a real car built like this, and quite visible.

Though I've been critical of some things on this kit, Revell got this detail dead-nuts on.

PS. I've been getting around to starting this one, the Eddie Dye roadster (upper left, obviously) for several years. The Revell kit is gonna be it.B)

DyeRoadster01-vi.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy