Model Cars Magazine Forum

1979 Cadillac

peekay

Thanks so much for your kind comments everyone - posting here has become one of the nicest aspects of finishing a model.

Bruce B. - for me a black wash in wires like these always looks like just that - a black wash. It seems to me to accentuate the limits of the molding process involved so I prefer to leave them. Same goes for chromed headlights - I haven't found a method yet to make them look better than if I just leave them (aside from drilling them out and replacing them, of course).

Mike O. - the tyres are T540, molded from a Johan tyre, though not the one from this particular kit.

Steve G. - great to see those pics from one of my all-time favourite movies - I've probably seen it 5 times. I still can't tell a 77 from a 78 or 79. The interior in this kit led me to believe it was a 77, until I noticed the number plates - 1979.

Bruce B. - for me a black wash in wires like these always looks like just that - a black wash.

Try doing a gray wash Peter.

I agree with you.

A black background always seemed too stark to me as well.

Sort of the same concept as not using black for panel lines on a white car.

Gray gives you the contrast without looking too fake.

Steve

photo DSCN3510_zpsaqjmeu7k.jpg

Elegant job, Peter - Jo-Han really went out with a bang getting the look of this car right. If only they could have done a '79 Eldo before they went paws up.

Ray Liotta's ride is a rare canvas-top Phaeton edition - they came in that bronze with a black top and white with a navy blue top. Not too tough a conversion in scale, mainly reducing the opera and rear windows and adding a simulated tack strip.

Differences in grilles from '77 through '79 are easy if you remember them like this:

'77 - mail slots

'78 - egg crate

'79 - fine mesh