Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Truth Is Out...The Earth Is Flat !!!

Ace-Garageguy

I couldn't bear to watch more than the first few minutes... so how do they explain the fact that a ship will "sink" from view as it moves away from shore? What keeps all the oceans from spilling over the edges? What's on the opposite side of a flat Earth? What's holding the Earth level? How deep do you have to dig until you bore through a flat Earth? How do they explain eclipses? The fact that it gets lighter/darker at progressive times as you move across the country? How about the fact that you can sail between continents without getting to the "end of the Earth?" 

So many questions...

... I stopped at 1m32s. The assertion that Copernicus was the first to propose that the world was a sphere, and the technology didn't exist to prove his theory. Since Ptolemy had figured it out least 1500 years earlier, and all you needed to prove it was a stick, I decided that I'd had enough...

The terrifying thing is that anyone might believe this drivel.

edit: OK, now I checked out the Flat Earth Society. Quarks, magnetic monopoles and dark energy being used to support Flat Earthism? Funny how SOME bits of modern physics are true because they come in handy, but it's OK to ignore the foundations of classical physics on which they are built...? Give me strength!

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

What I can't understand is that there are literally dozens of ways to prove the Earth is not flat. But there is not even one way to prove that it is flat... yet some people believe that it is actually flat! In the face of overwhelming proof that the Earth is round, you have to be seriously short on logic and critical thinking to actually believe the Earth is flat.

They say there is an ice wall

Oooooh... ok... that explains it, then! :D

Ooops... not quite.

Why is the water in the oceans liquid, yet there's an ice wall around the edges of the flat Earth? Wouldn't all areas of a flat Earth be pretty much the same distance from the sun? How do the flatheads explain that?

How do they explain that while it is daylight here, it is night in other parts of the world? How could it possibly be simultaneously daytime and nighttime at the same time in different areas of a flat Earth?

Sheesh... this flat Earth thing is so easy to blow holes through, I can't believe there are actual human adults that believe it. How scary those people must be! :lol:

Oooooh... ok... that explains it, then! :D

Ooops... not quite.

Why is the water in the oceans liquid, yet there's an ice wall around the edges of the flat Earth? Wouldn't all areas of a flat Earth be pretty much the same distance from the sun? How do the flatheads explain that?

How do they explain that while it is daylight here, it is night in other parts of the world? How could it possibly be simultaneously daytime and nighttime at the same time in different areas of a flat Earth?

Sheesh... this flat Earth thing is so easy to blow holes through, I can't believe there are actual human adults that believe it. How scary those people must be! :lol:

Always thought "flatheads" were cool, but in this context, I'm not so sure.:lol:

One more question... if an airliner comes to the "end of the Earth," what happens to it?

What I like to call... the "Grand Theft Auto effect"... lol

GTA is a game that is an "open world" and you can literally go anywhere on the map... except when it comes to the boundaries. If you're flying a plane in the game, and you fly to the boundary of the square map (which is kinda like a flat earth by the way ;) ) then you're plane will lose altitude uncontrollably and you'll crash into the edge of the ocean and die. If you're manning a boat, the boat will magically sink, and you'll get eaten by a shark. I'm sure these are very similar things that flat earth believers will say. 

Or, we could take a page out of the new Mad Max game... if you reach the outskirts of the map of the game, you get a warning message on the screen that says "WARNING: YOU ARE ENTERING THE BIG NOTHING!" And if you keep going, a crazy storm will form and kill you, if you don't run out of gas first and die of starvation. 

Apparently, somewhere around 40% of Americans believe that the Earth is only 6000 years old.  To me, that's more worrying than a handful of fruitcakes who think the world is flat.

Yes, there is that, which I tried to stay away from because it's treading dangerously close to a forbidden topic.

It's very troubling though. We live in complex times that demand a good working understanding of our world and all that's in it...if we expect to survive as a species...so fact-based knowledge of the world around us and well-developed critical thinking skills should be what's stressed most in early education.

Welcome to the idiocracy.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I couldn't bear to watch more than the first few minutes... so how do they explain the fact that a ship will "sink" from view as it moves away from shore? What keeps all the oceans from spilling over the edges? What's on the opposite side of a flat Earth? What's holding the Earth level? How deep do you have to dig until you bore through a flat Earth? How do they explain eclipses? The fact that it gets lighter/darker at progressive times as you move across the country? How about the fact that you can sail between continents without getting to the "end of the Earth?" 

So many questions...

I had the same questions, so I looked at a few other yooboob segments on this. Many of the proponents apparently know very little of anything and have never flown or traveled much. They feel no need to actually understand any of the "concepts" they use to justify their views, and routinely misuse words and make up meanings to suit whatever the logical challenge may be.

One spokesman for the flat-Earth idea, when asked why, if the sun was overhead all the time and only traveled around the edge of the dinner-plate Earth, it can be dark here and light somewhere else, answered by stating that "you can't see forever. It's perspective, like the vanishing point where things vanish".

Okayyy...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

How about photos of our planet, from space, on the way to and from, the moon?

Oh wait, I'm sorry , we were never there either. That was all filmed at Area 51.....................

G.

Apparently, the "thinking" is that NASA is in on the conspiracy, as they're all Nazis and determined to perpetrate this great hoax for some unintelligible reason having to do with control of the masses and Freemasonry.

It just gets better and better. On the Flat Earth Society forum, there's actually a thread about the dangers of being exposed to moonlight and the precautions to take against it. Crikey. 

Yeah, like we've only been exposed to it throughout the history of the human species, ya' know?

They go so far as to claim that the "rays" from the moon are different in composition from the simple reflected sunlight reasonably sane and aware people know it to be...but of course, they also seem to fail to actually define exactly WHAT these "harmful" rays are. How typical.

Or maybe this is all just a joke ?? Somehow, I don't think so.

Superstition, intentional ignorance, a widespread and blind willingness to follow stupid, delusional and / or deranged leadership...human kind has some serious innate problems to overcome if we're ever really going to mature as a civilization.

1423367464555576466.jpg  crazy-west-5-300x300.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Hey! Where can I get the cool looking helmet the kid is wearing in the above post. I need one. But, it needs to be lined with aluminum foil. So not only to keep the moon beams from hitting me, but the secret radio instructions I'm receiving from our government. Or are those radio signals coming from aliens? I can never get that right.... It's because I don't have above helmet lined with tin foil! Or is that aluminum foil? This is so hard! ?

Edited by unclescott58